• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fun with a 3d printer. NSX cookie cutter FTW!

Wow you guys have some cool toys! I remember looking at 3D printers a few years back when there was not really an affordable option. Now you've got me thinking... :biggrin:

They are much more affordable now. You can get a decent one for about $1500.

They are pretty handy too. A buddy of mine needed a new mounting bracket for the router on his CNC routing machine after the original plastic one cracked. I drew one up in about 10 minutes and printing it took about an hour. The one I printed him was stronger than the original. :)

Last edited:
They are much more affordable now. You can get a decent one for about $1500.

How durable are the parts? I spent a few hours last night looking at options and the one that seemed to produce parts that one could use on a car :cool: was the Solido SD300. This company seems to have gone into receivership though so I'm not sure about support and continued access to materials, etc.. Thoughts?

How durable are the parts? I spent a few hours last night looking at options and the one that seemed to produce parts that one could use on a car :cool: was the Solido SD300. This company seems to have gone into receivership though so I'm not sure about support and continued access to materials, etc.. Thoughts?

Depends on what you plan on using them for. I have printed out brackets to mount hand routers to a CNC routing machine and they work perfect.

Obviously they wouldn't survive a high heat environment but if you need a mount or bracket to hold a gauge it would work just fine. Could also print those little plastic thingies that go in the clutch and brake pedals(the OEM rubber ones fall apart over time).

Last edited:

Most people print using PLA plastic, which is biodegradable, but easier to work with. If it's exposed to elements it would need to be sealed, otherwise it will degrade from moisture. Some printers can also use ABS, which prints at a higher temperature, is a bit finicky to work with, and releases fumes during printing. The advantage of ABS is that it's impact-resistant, and would do well for a car part.

In terms of use, these aren't what I would consider appliances - they require a degree of consideration for every print. The process itself is an art, since there are no settings that will print well every time, they must be adjusted from print to print, and material to material. In addition, a perfectly completed kit didn't print or connect right away, it required a few hours of troubleshooting.

On a scale of 1 to 10, my prints are about a 2 right now. I have had my printer for a couple of days, 2 for assembly and about 2 days of printing, and am still getting to know it. The hardware itself is extremely capable, here is an example of a high-res print using an Ultimaker:
http://www.hive76.org/insane-3d-printing-resolution-ultimaker-under-the-micro

That's at 76μm of layer height, but there are prints at 10μm (0.010mm) - I am currently printing at 0.3mm, or 300μm.

Back