• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

funny pedal vibration

This whole week I've been experiencing some funny vibration on my gas pedal. Almost feels like a foot massager on low.

I thought it was maybe tire pressure or something, visual inspection and tire pressure gauge says all okay.

Weird part is, in the mornings on the way to work, its not there, but on the way home with about 15 mins of driving, there it goes again.

This happens at all gears, all RPM's and speeds. It gets worst as I get closer to home, so I thought okay this road is messed up. So i took a different route, sure enough same thing.

Any ideas?

Maybe the throttle-by-wire is connected backwards... and the car is driving you?

...sorry, I couldn't resist:tongue:

The vibration is coming from the gas pedal itself? Even while at a stop?

Would a faulty cruise control actuator or linkage cause this? Does your cruise control work properly? Does the vibration go away or change when cruise is set? What happens when you turn the cruise button on/off?

Also, does the linkage on the throttle body look OK (anything loose)? :confused:

Really wild, unlikely postulation: ABS pump coming on and not turning off?

Does this occur on only one particular road?,and is there any audible hum?I say this because some paved roads have fine ripples in them that will cause vibration from your tires into the pedals at various harmonics.

Only the pedal is vibrating, no other part of the car. Nothing at a stop. I have 84k miles on my 91.

I really thought it was the road too, but this is a road i've been driving up and down daily for 2 years.

What about when the car is at a stand still and you just rev the rpm? If it happens at this point I would say its either loose cable connection or loose part somewere on the gas pedel its self. If it doesn't vibrate at a stand still than its something that only happens when the car is in motion. The only moving part would be the wheels or engine vibration. You said this happens at all rpms and all gears? strange???

Check the slack (free play) of the throttle cable. This is easy to do and explained in the online service manual. Also, grab a flshlight and check that the bolts are secure where the gas pedal pivots.

Hugh said:
Check the slack (free play) of the throttle cable. This is easy to do and explained in the online service manual. Also, grab a flshlight and check that the bolts are secure where the gas pedal pivots.

Good idea, I'll check it this weekend

Back