• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Future Owner Asks questions

Hey guys, im new here (well i joined a while ago but never posted because i felt i wasn't family yet since i dont own one) but i finally decided when i return home from the Navy ill be hopefully getting one of these amazing cars. Honestly guys what would be some key things to look for. i mean stuff like: does it really matter if its an Auto V Manual, 5 spd v 6 spd, etc. and also should i even bother looking at the new NSX's coming out or should i just stick to the classic body?

Last edited:
Hey guys, im new here (well i joined a while ago but never posted because i felt i wasn't family yet since i dont own one) but i finally decided when i return home from the Navy ill be hopefully getting one of these amazing cars. Honestly guys what would be some key things to look for and also should i even bother looking at the new NSX's coming out or should i just stick to the classic body?

Thanks for serving, much appreciated.
The price point of the new NSX is expected to be north of 100K
I'd encourage you to get your home/civilian work stuff stable before getting into an NSX (eg. paycheck, secure garage, etc).
Then set a reasonable budget based on the year range you want.
Four primary ranges: 91-94 | 95-96 | 97-01 | 02-05
Read the heck out of the wiki and Primers posts to learn the finer points of ownership and levelset your expectations based upon your budget.
Depending on where you are located you should try to synch up with some Primers and learn more about the "hunt" and securing the right car.
We were all prospective owners at some point in the past and I think you will find this community informative and helpful. Rule #1: always get a PPI

Read the heck out of the wiki
If you don't know what this is, you can find a link to it on the red action bar at the top of most pages. It has a number of sections, one of which is called "Purchasing an NSX" which may answer some of your questions.
But RedWings also gave you great high level advice

As to what "matters", there is the big picture and then there is the details. In the big picture, all NSXs have a degree of similarity - sleek, exotic looks combined with refinement and low maintenance. That package comes standard no matter what NSX you buy. From there its just a matter of personal preferences on the minor details (manual/auto, top on/off, etc, etc).

When you return home, check to see if there are owners in your area. I know that in the DC area it is possible to get some direct feedback from the people in this area. When I have gone to car meets, I spend a fair amount of time talking about all the different aspects and am always happy to talk about my car (one of my favorite topics!) and I suspect that other owners feel the same.

Hit up the search function on some of the popular options and you will find plenty of discussions on the details.

Thanks for your service to our country.

Thanks Guys! i seriously appreciate all of this.

i have a couple more years left so itll be a fair amount of time. As for the year, i think i like the 91-94 range. simplicity was most appealing to me. honestly i cant stand all these new cars with about 200 buttons in the steering wheel alone.

i honestly look forward to becoming a real member but for now i can only onlook and drool from afar

You can't go wrong with any NSX. The original 1991 NSX still has lots of press singing its praises:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2012/08/1991-acura-nsx-no-it-doesnt-get-old.html

Long before I set my butt into the seat of our NSX, I'd heard about how this was the "everyday exotic" thanks to its sensible ergonomics, docile-as-an-Accord drivability and expected Honda reliability.

Sure, getting in and out of the low-slung NSX is a bit of a hassle, but that's little price to pay for the grins this car brings forth whenever I drive it. Yeah, it's a blast to take through the canyons but even running up the on-ramp to the 10 on my way to work is a treat. I still get a kick out of the V6's urgent growl, love the meaty yet precise throws of the 5-speed's shifter and don't mind that the very communicative steering is non-assisted. Furthermore, the ride doesn't beat on my back, the A/C is freeze-your-nose-off cold and the cockpit's controls aren't quirky. I'm really going to hate to see this one go...

And:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zLJ2lw0bCkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for your service, and you're not alone as there are many other military or ex-military NSX owners and future NSX owners. Have fun learning about the car, and glad to have you here!

Thanks Guys! i seriously appreciate all of this.

i have a couple more years left so itll be a fair amount of time. As for the year, i think i like the 91-94 range. simplicity was most appealing to me. honestly i cant stand all these new cars with about 200 buttons in the steering wheel alone.

i honestly look forward to becoming a real member but for now i can only onlook and drool from afar

Navy+NSX good combo!

ill try but it depends on price and location.

If price isan issue with an NA2 6 speed, why are you even taking about the new NSX which may well be 130k? Don't forget all the 6 speeds are also 3.2. Also depending on where you live... Targa could be really nice. I still can't believe how much fun taking the top off on a cool summer night is. It's amazing.

TomCat - how so?

Turbo - im asking about transmission because i know alot of car groups look down on Auto, didnt know if it was the same here. but i know i want to get a manual. just really dont know the difference between 5 or 6. is there?

TomCat - how so?

Turbo - im asking about transmission because i know alot of car groups look down on Auto, didnt know if it was the same here. but i know i want to get a manual. just really dont know the difference between 5 or 6. is there?

If you don't have to get an auto, why would you? That's for a lexus, half the fun of this car is the precise shifter! Also the autos are down on HP. Put it out of your book. Difference between 5 and 6? Well one is 5, and one is 6... LOL... closer ratios, better on many tracks, overall a better trans with no real drawbacks.

If you don't have to get an auto, why would you? That's for a lexus, half the fun of this car is the precise shifter! Also the autos are down on HP. Put it out of your book. Difference between 5 and 6? Well one is 5, and one is 6... LOL... closer ratios, better on many tracks, overall a better trans with no real drawbacks.

BEST... EXPLANATION....EVER.

ha ha.

well im not looking for a track car but it also depends what i can find back home or where i become stationed next.

I think the thing to do is to find the best NSX you can, period. Other than making sure I get a stick, I think the rest are all good. Good luck with the search. You will love the car. It's just awesome.

just because its new doesnt mean its better than the older NSX. i mean look at XP v Vista. vista was complete GARBAGE and alot of people went back to XP.

Vista is not complete garbage, only weak hardware can't drive it, have you ever use Windows server 2008? :smile:

I think the thing to do is to find the best NSX you can, period. Other than making sure I get a stick, I think the rest are all good. Good luck with the search. You will love the car. It's just awesome.

I agree with this. Can't emphasize enough that unless you must have an auto (for example a physical ailment) choose a manual transmission car. The automatic cars, regardless of year, have a detuned 3.0 liter engine (250 Hp instead of 270 Hp in 3.0 manuals or 290 Hp in 3.2 liter manuals). The auto is also completely ordinary.

i do thank you guys for all this input. i really am excited to return and get an NSX. I'm seriously thinking about a blue NSX but i want it with the removable top. and the top portion black (totally in love with Blue Batmobile). I saw in the picture threads of hottess black and red and silver but no blue? i might have just read over it but could someone link me please?

Last edited:
Blue NSX's are very rare, and I don't think any were made with the black top, which became a special order option after 1994. Blue cars were only made from 1997 to 2005 in the following colors:

Monte Carlo Blue Pearl (1997-99; my favorite)
Monaco Blue (1999-2001)
Long Beach Blue Pearl (2002-2005)

Consequently, one thing you might want to consider is finding a T-top 95 or 96 that is in good mechanical shape, but has had paint/body work. The price should be fairly reasonable because the original paint already has been disturbed, thus you don't have any collector premium to worry about. This would allow you to do a color change to blue with a black top for low cost and quickly.

Your other option is to wait a long time to find the right blue car from the factory at the right price. You will pay a lot more because the color is rare. By contrast, I bet there are at least 10 decent early red or black T-top cars for sale in the marketplace right now.

Something to think about...

i do thank you guys for all this input. i really am excited to return and get an NSX. I'm seriously thinking about a blue NSX but i want it with the removable top. and the top portion black (totally in love with Blue Batmobile). I saw in the picture threads of hottess black and red and silver but no blue? i might have just read over it but could someone link me please?

All the colors are there. Just scroll down a little in the gallery section. Might be on next page. Select to see threads from last year at bottom instead of last 30 days.

god i love this site...

other option was a silver(black, silver, or blue, either is fine with me). i just know the only mandatory requirements are the flip up headlights and a t-top.

Back