• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gallardo vs. New Z06

To quote a friend of mine, "The Z06 is a rocket. I don't want one but you have to respect what they've done with a push rod engine."

Look at it this way. If you just made Manager at the warehouse and you and your mullet want to go fast, the Z06 is the car for you. If you have more than 31 pairs of Gucci jeans, had a pedicure in the last 10 days and know the phone number of at least 3 masseuses, the Lambo would be the path for you. :tongue:

Bigglezworth said:
Look at it this way. If you just made Manager at the warehouse and you and your mullet want to go fast, the Z06 is the car for you. If you have more than 31 pairs of Gucci jeans, had a pedicure in the last 10 days and know the phone number of at least 3 masseuses, the Lambo would be the path for you. :tongue:

ROFLMAO :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

steveny said:
I think the new Z06 is a great bargin, but a corvette is a corvette no matter what is under the hood.
Assembled like a Caviler.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
sounds similar to what ferrari owners say about NSX's... just replace corvette with honda and cavalier with civic.

I can't see any reason at all to trash the Z06. It has exotic materials in the motor.. just like the NSX. Each motor is build by hand by one person... just like the NSX.

The body uses materials to keep the weight as low as possible.. just like the NSX. Infact, it weighs less than the 2005 NSX. It might be the ONLY car that weighs less than a previous model.

The interior is kind of crappy materials, but vinyl isn't exactly exotic either. But you can get a NAV system and XM radio in the Z06... not so in the NSX.

Performance wise, it is not even close. Price wise, the Z06 costs much less.

I am seriously considering buying a used one in the next few years because the resale will drop like a rock -- unlike the NSX.

NetViper said:
I can't see any reason at all to trash the Z06. It has exotic materials in the motor.. just like the NSX. Each motor is build by hand by one person... just like the NSX.

The body uses materials to keep the weight as low as possible.. just like the NSX. Infact, it weighs less than the 2005 NSX. It might be the ONLY car that weighs less than a previous model.

The interior is kind of crappy materials, but vinyl isn't exactly exotic either. But you can get a NAV system and XM radio in the Z06... not so in the NSX.

Performance wise, it is not even close. Price wise, the Z06 costs much less.

I am seriously considering buying a used one in the next few years because the resale will drop like a rock -- unlike the NSX.

I didnt say the Z06 is a crappy car, its actually fairly nice, and yes has a lot of features the NSX doesnt, and even some the gallardo doesnt, but the driving experience is not even close if looking for anything other than a swift kick in the pants.

If you and your mullet want to go fast go buy a mustang and put a sc in it, save yourself some money.

(If you and your mullet want to go fast go buy a mustang and put a sc in it, save yourself some money.)

Am I missing something, are mullets back in now? :biggrin:

Wheelman said:
(If you and your mullet want to go fast go buy a mustang and put a sc in it, save yourself some money.)

Am I missing something, are mullets back in now? :biggrin:

They must be, someone said it was so. :biggrin:

Bigglezworth said:

OK - so rednecks like the vette and gay guys like the lambo. What's a normal guy to do?

Edgemts said:
I didnt say the Z06 is a crappy car, its actually fairly nice, and yes has a lot of features the NSX doesnt, and even some the gallardo doesnt, but the driving experience is not even close if looking for anything other than a swift kick in the pants.

If you and your mullet want to go fast go buy a mustang and put a sc in it, save yourself some money.

So adding a supercharger to the Mustang will let it corner at over 1G? What about the NSX - if I add a CTSC to it will it also corner at over 1G? How about on runflats? Will either of them run an 11.7 on those runflats?

I swear I don't get the car snobbery crap on this board. The NSX is nearly a ferrari and a lot of you guys try hard to be nearly as much of an asshole as a ferrari owner. The NSX was great because it beat up on the name brand exotics at a fraction of the price and did it with an emblem on the hood that nobody thought could pull it off. That's what made it so damn cool. History has repeated itself and just because it's a different emblem this time it must be bad? The Z06 is an amazing car and anybody who doesn't recognize that has more in common with Paris Hilton than they do with Mario Andretti.

Dave Hardy said:
So adding a supercharger to the Mustang will let it corner at over 1G? What about the NSX - if I add a CTSC to it will it also corner at over 1G? How about on runflats? Will either of them run an 11.7 on those runflats?

I swear I don't get the car snobbery crap on this board. The NSX is nearly a ferrari and a lot of you guys try hard to be nearly as much of an asshole as a ferrari owner. The NSX was great because it beat up on the name brand exotics at a fraction of the price and did it with an emblem on the hood that nobody thought could pull it off. That's what made it so damn cool. History has repeated itself and just because it's a different emblem this time it must be bad? The Z06 is an amazing car and anybody who doesn't recognize that has more in common with Paris Hilton than they do with Mario Andretti.

Which is now why I rarely post, and rarely check up on things, when I used to be a daily reader... :)

Dave Hardy said:

Did I miss something?
Car snobbery???
If your refering about my comments on the Z06, then :tongue:
I dont recall saying anything negative.
If you like vettes go buy one,
if you like vettes and have the money, go buy a Z06 and I am sure you will absolutely love it.
I personally dont get any enjoyment from driving vette's.
I have driven, Mallet 383's to stock z06's , to ???, all at various racetracks,
and I have found that I would rather drive a stock Nsx for fun then almost any vette,(maybe c5r). I have not driven a C6 Z06 at the track yet, that will be in a few months(spring).
Z06 has come a long way and for the price is one hell of a car.
Not a vette hater, I just dont like them much.
For that matter I dont like Vipers much either, ever spent more than 20 minutes driving one on the track? Got any heat blisters on your feet to prove it? :smile:
JMO nothing more.

CAR SNOBBY? How is making a few jokes being car snobby? I think we all can appreciate the performance/$ the Z06 offers, and the style/$ the Lambo offers (we have to, after all, we are NSX owners). Nobody here is going to turn their nose up at either car. It was a joke, so go take some Midol and settle down.

Dave Hardy said:
So adding a supercharger to the Mustang will let it corner at over 1G? What about the NSX - if I add a CTSC to it will it also corner at over 1G? How about on runflats? Will either of them run an 11.7 on those runflats? .
No No, No and NO

[/QUOTE]

I swear I don't get the car snobbery crap on this board. The NSX is nearly a ferrari.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I have driven many ferrari's and I for the most part like my NSX's better.

The NSX was great because it beat up on the name brand exotics at a fraction of the price and did it with an emblem on the hood that nobody thought could pull it off.
The price doesnt mean to much to me. I like it for what it is. A great Sports car.

History has repeated itself and just because it's a different emblem this time it must be bad? The Z06 is an amazing car and anybody who doesn't recognize that has more in common with Paris Hilton than they do with Mario Andretti. .[/QUOTE]
And in a year or so the Z06 will be yesterdays news just like Paris(or maybe yesterdays trash, ref to Paris H)
How is the Z06 amazing, other than the fact they sell it for 65K.
Its components are not state of the art.
Its engine is no big deal, 500hp from a motor half its size would be more interesting.
Again for its PRICE its a great car with a warranty etc. So if thats what your after go buy a few.

So many people get hung up on 1/4 mile or other stats, who cares, go drive it if you like it buy it. When people make comments about 1/4 mile results and they base their comments on them about this car or that car being better, I then refer to the money savings of a Mustang VS a Z06, or better yet go buy a Bike, sub 10sec 1/4 mile for 10K.
90%+ of my "sports car" driving is done on the track so what I like is different than a lot of other people. And what I look for is also very different.
JMO as always

Edgemts said:
Its engine is no big deal, 500hp from a motor half its size would be more interesting.

...and with that said it would be my impression that GM does nothing but hold out each year rather than build the best product they can.
The new c6 z06 could have been built many years ago but GM just kept churning out the same crap until they got to the point they are at now, churning out the same old crap in a different wrapper.
This is inherently the problem with the entire American car manufactures. They wait for foreign companies to do something innovative and then they copy it, poorly I might add.

steveny said:
...and with that said it would be my impression that GM does nothing but hold out each year rather than build the best product they can.
The new c6 z06 could have been built many years ago but GM just kept churning out the same crap until they got to the point they are at now, churning out the same old crap in a different wrapper.
This is inherently the problem with the entire American car manufactures. They wait for foreign companies to do something innovative and then they copy it, poorly I might add.

Huh? The NSX is the worst example of turning out the same car over and over - and it that case, its still the same wrapper. It is hardly the best product that Honda can build.

Perhaps you don't understand how products are made and brought to market. While the current product is on the market, the new product is being developed. And that new product has to be tested, certified for safety & emission, dealers trained, suppliers ramped-up, manufacturing tooled, etc. There is always a 2-year lag between the time a car is designed and when it is brought to market. Short of the Veyron, you can say that any car on the market today could have been built a couple of years ago.

While GM has tons of faults, its handling of the Corvette over the past 10 years has been very good. Three generations. The Z06. Excellent road racing record. Priced very agressively.

As an NSX owner, I would thrilled to no end if Honda put in even 1/2 as much effort into keeping the NSX current as GM has with the Corvette.

TC said:
As an NSX owner, I would thrilled to no end if Honda put in even 1/2 as much effort into keeping the NSX current as GM has with the Corvette.

I would agree with that. Honda dropped the ball on the NSX a long time ago. Not bumping the HP significantly in 2002 was an insult to all loyal Honda people IMO. They could have also done many little things to keep the car current ie.. in-dash CD, digital Odometer, full leather interior, or alcatera (sp?). Instead they got rid of the pop-up lights and chaged the rear slightly and called it a night. Sales figures didn't increase at all from what i could see.

Honda's 50K sedan should not have better technology and more HP than their 90K flagship exotic car IMO.

ok.. end rant.

TC said:
Huh? The NSX is the worst example of turning out the same car over and over - and it that case, its still the same wrapper. It is hardly the best product that Honda can build.

Perhaps you don't understand how products are made and brought to market. While the current product is on the market, the new product is being developed. And that new product has to be tested, certified for safety & emission, dealers trained, suppliers ramped-up, manufacturing tooled, etc. There is always a 2-year lag between the time a car is designed and when it is brought to market. Short of the Veyron, you can say that any car on the market today could have been built a couple of years ago.

While GM has tons of faults, its handling of the Corvette over the past 10 years has been very good. Three generations. The Z06. Excellent road racing record. Priced very agressively.

The big difference is that the NSX was "State of the art" when it came out and for several years.

No unfortunately it has not been updated, but thats another topic all together.

The Z06 is nothing without its low price tag.
Its price tag, makes it a performance value/ daily driver/ good bargain/whatever.
It doesnt bring anything else to the table other than good bang for your buck for under 100K.

Edgemts said:
How is the Z06 amazing, other than the fact they sell it for 65K.

How is it amazing? 505 HP to start. I think you can count the cars on two hands that produce more power at any price. Carbon fiber fenders, wheel housings and floor boards. Have you seen the brakes on this thing? Hand-built engine with ti rods and valves. Dry-sump oil system. 16/28 EPA rating. There is no other car on the market - from any manufacturer - that produces 400 HP or more that is not rated a gas-guzzler, let alone 505 hp (except for the base Corvette). $65k MSRP.

If 505 HP, ULEV emissions and 16/28 MPG isn't any big deal, what car engines would be classify as such? Yeah, 500 HP from a 3.5 liter engine would be interesting but no one is doing that today - no even with super/turbo charging.

If the Z06 isn't someone's cup of tea, fine. But there is a lot to admire.

TC said:

There are still parts of the 14 year old NSX that are not used in mainstream auto manufacturing.
A 14 year old NSX is much more of a work of art than a brand new z06.

What other vehicle could Dave drive around in and listen to his cassette tapes???

Seriously the new vette z06 is a great car, but it is not unique. I wish there was a single word to describe the difference between the two. I am sure that those who know what I mean do so without one word being said.

Edgemts said:
The Z06 is nothing without its low price tag.
Its price tag, makes it a performance value/ daily driver/ good bargain/whatever.
It doesnt bring anything else to the table other than good bang for your buck for under 100K.

That makes no sense to me - "... nothing without its low price tag." That is the break-through, bringing the performance of what would otherwise cost $150-$200k from any other manufacturer down to $65k. And to get that performance the whole car has been re-engineered, it is not a base Corvette with 100 more HP. Aluminum frame. Killer brakes. Carbon fiber body panels. Dry-sump oil system.

I've never been a Corvette fan - but admire the new Z06 for the technology and performance that it delivers. And then its price makes it all the more impressive.

JMO.

Back