• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Garbage Island... disgusting....

When I was in Hawaii last year, as I picked up handfulls of sand in what seemed to be clean beaches at waikiki, I noticed bright green and red pebbles. After looking at them closely, I realized they were bits of plastic.

Now I find out that there is a thing in the pacific ocean called garbage island. It is just a floating island of trash... twice the size of Texas... floating and getting bigger. And no one knows what to do about it. Apparently, we are slowly eating it when we consume fish. Look at this fish with the lighter in it... Unbelievable:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2VrrxMIiwgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Check this one out then...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GLgh9h2ePYw" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Turbo.

I like trees, but don't remember ever hugging one. I don't like Oprah. I have kissed many a fish though. This is important to me.

I have a hard time believing the scale of the situation. Twice the size of Texas?

A craft could be developed similar to a combine that incinerates the trash, partially fueling itself. Any ideas?

Last edited:
We should do what they did in Futurama by launching a giant ball of garbage into space.

ABigPieceofGarbage.png

We all pollute the air with our cars and homes, and pollute the land and water with our trash. We will stop it when we absolutely have to, not before. When we realize what we've done, it will be too late. :redface:

A craft could be developed similar to a combine that incinerates the trash, partially fueling itself. Any ideas?

Well it seems to be international waters so no one seems to care all that much, no one wants to foot the bill to clean it. This thing is just MASSIVE. And growing....

Now you know that little piece of trash you see in the street, or in the parking lots... where it eventually goes. Into the sewer system, then into the ocean, and eventually finds its way to this floatilla.

I don't know why we use so much plastic, to give you an idea I counted 11 bags of plastic in a box of an amplifier I installed yesterday. The unit has a bag, the remote has a bag, the batteries have a bag, the power cord has its own bag inside another bag... the manuals have their own bag (in which the remote control bag resides) and then to top it all off, there is a little sheet of plastic on top of the IR emmiter of the remote. There was more, I just don't remember but I counted 11. I don't think this is all necessary.

Last edited:
That is why litter bugs need to be heavily fined and if they can't pay the fine force them to collect trash for 40 hours along the streets and beaches. These people who flagrantly toss cigarette butts and the cellophane wrapper from their cigarette packs out their windows along with the rest of the crap they throw out should be held accountable.

I despise litter bugs and in my former career never let one slide. I would stop and write them a ticket and let them tell the judge their pathetic reason for why they had to toss that empty six-pack of bottles or bag of fast food garbage out the window as they were driving down the street. The best part was when they then turned out to be driving on a suspended license or had expired registration and I would have the car towed and often they could not afford to bail their car out of the tow yard. That bag of McDonald's trash just cost them a trip to jail and their POS car.

Did I mention I despise litter bugs?

That is why litter bugs need to be heavily fined and if they can't pay the fine force them to collect trash for 40 hours along the streets and beaches. These people who flagrantly toss cigarette butts and the cellophane wrapper from their cigarette packs out their windows along with the rest of the crap they throw out should be held accountable.

I despise litter bugs and in my former career never let one slide. I would stop and write them a ticket and let them tell the judge their pathetic reason for why they had to toss that empty six-pack of bottles or bag of fast food garbage out the window as they were driving down the street. The best part was when they then turned out to be driving on a suspended license or had expired registration and I would have the car towed and often they could not afford to bail their car out of the tow yard. That bag of McDonald's trash just cost them a trip to jail and their POS car.

Did I mention I despise litter bugs?

Jeeze man what a dick...Its just trash. It dosent effect us or future generations in anyway what so ever.

The Earth is a Giant living orgnism and we are simply bacteria living on top of it.

When you consider the size of the earths core and crust and then the tiny amounts of land we inhabit underneath the atmosphere. Well we are actually polluting maybe..maybe 1% of the earth.

Honestly in the big picture we are so small and insignificant compared to the earth that we could NEVER do any real damage. Merely bacteria and nothing more except in our own minds. Much like a paramecium under a magnifying glass swimming around and reproducing. We are no differant.

The earth clenses its self. If every human were to die today then within just 150 years every man made structure would collapse due to weather and natural disasters or just plain old unattended decay. In just 150 years it would be almost as if we were never here. Even that mighty litter island would cease to exist.

Is it that we really care about the earth (wich can more than take care of its self) or that some people just have the inner desire to be part of somthing bigger than the bacteria we are.

I for one couldnt give a shit about tree huggers or all the BS getting spouted about the enviorment ect. Its just used as a diversion by the goverment as somthing good to talk about verses the real problems that are going on.

Those peices of trash mixed in with the sand are really so unpleasant? I guarantee that they are made from items supplied by the earth. They didnt come from mars ect. While you may find them visually unpleaseing or say a fish will swallow them and die ect. Someone else may find them colorful and adding and a crustation may add them to its shell.

Im in LE and a good talking to is all people get when they litter around me. They didnt hurt anyone or likewise put anyones life at danger. They threw some trash on the ground. A God Given right since the dawn of man long before trash recepticles were ever thought of. PC is PC and if thats what you used to obtain it to get them on bigger violations then hey that was your style. But to say how you screwed some laborer and in some cases had them lose their transportation over a McDonalds cup in a lil disconcerting.

Did I mention I dont give two shits about littering?

In just 150 years it would be almost as if we were never here. Even that mighty litter island would cease to exist.

Since plastics take HUNDREDS of years to decompose (and probably more above ground / on water) your statement is completely wrong. I wolnt bother with the rest of your page of crap because I'm sure somebody else will. :rolleyes:

Since plastics take HUNDREDS of years to decompose (and probably more above ground / on water) your statement is completely wrong. I wolnt bother with the rest of your page of crap because I'm sure somebody else will. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Although the chemicals used to make plastics are derived from crude oil (natural), plastic is still synthetic and really doesn't break down fast enough--which the video clearly illustrates. The issue isn't about the earth cleaning itself, the issue is not to make the situation worse. By the time the plastic breaks down due to environmental exposure, a slew of other issues may arise as a result of it. The earth might be big, but it really isn't that big.

As far as fines, they already have fines for littering it's just a low priority offense and rarely enforced by law enforcement. For people that live in California, you may want to look at your property tax. You may see a section regarding a flood maintenance tax. That funds the local counties maintenance for all the flood channels and debris removal. The majority of the tons of debris they remove on a yearly basis is trash. I'm sure there are also state and federal funds that get directed for this type of clean up for beaches as well. So the reality is we are all paying out of pocket in some way shape or form due to other people's litter.

I'm +1 on that.

I seriously thought you were kidding at first. I actually chuckled.

Wow I don't even know where to begin...

...Its just trash. It dosent effect us or future generations in anyway what so ever.

That full post is a perfect example of the general population's understanding of the bigger picture. If you try to explain what is really going on, they won't listen. If you ask them to do their own research, they won't bother. It is unfortunate.

But he did have one very correct observation in that whole monologue, the Earth can take care of itself. It will do that by eradicating the plague that is affecting it the most, the human population.

Jeeze man what a dick...Its just trash. It dosent effect us or future generations in anyway what so ever.

The Earth is a Giant living orgnism and we are simply bacteria living on top of it.

When you consider the size of the earths core and crust and then the tiny amounts of land we inhabit underneath the atmosphere. Well we are actually polluting maybe..maybe 1% of the earth.

Honestly in the big picture we are so small and insignificant compared to the earth that we could NEVER do any real damage. Merely bacteria and nothing more except in our own minds. Much like a paramecium under a magnifying glass swimming around and reproducing. We are no differant.

The earth clenses its self. If every human were to die today then within just 150 years every man made structure would collapse due to weather and natural disasters or just plain old unattended decay. In just 150 years it would be almost as if we were never here. Even that mighty litter island would cease to exist.

Is it that we really care about the earth (wich can more than take care of its self) or that some people just have the inner desire to be part of somthing bigger than the bacteria we are.

I for one couldnt give a shit about tree huggers or all the BS getting spouted about the enviorment ect. Its just used as a diversion by the goverment as somthing good to talk about verses the real problems that are going on.

Those peices of trash mixed in with the sand are really so unpleasant? I guarantee that they are made from items supplied by the earth. They didnt come from mars ect. While you may find them visually unpleaseing or say a fish will swallow them and die ect. Someone else may find them colorful and adding and a crustation may add them to its shell.

Im in LE and a good talking to is all people get when they litter around me. They didnt hurt anyone or likewise put anyones life at danger. They threw some trash on the ground. A God Given right since the dawn of man long before trash recepticles were ever thought of. PC is PC and if thats what you used to obtain it to get them on bigger violations then hey that was your style. But to say how you screwed some laborer and in some cases had them lose their transportation over a McDonalds cup in a lil disconcerting.

Your ignorance is just astounding....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zue8eBXp0Qg&feature=related

How does this not affect us? The oceans absorb tons and tons of carbon dioxide and other pollutants and its killing plankton which is what generates most of the worlds oxygen that YOU breath. If all plankton dies, the entire food chain collapses including ours. So how exactly does this not affect you again? Can you explain that for me one more time now that you have the blaring facts? Of course you could choose to ignore it and just make the situation worse for everyone around you b/c "you're not endangering anyone's lives" but in fact, you are.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y0O7_3o3BrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is Snakey's Twin ^^^^^^^ lol

Last edited:
When I go food shopping, I always reuse the same bag. Let's avoid the plastic bags.

Attachments

• WFB.jpg
    WFB.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 34
I wish things were different. Although 'we' care more about the environment than most, or certainly are more concious of our impact on it, 'we' seem to do the most damage to it. We live in huge structures with one or two additional people that take dozens of tons of raw materials to construct. We drive 3,000+ pound structures that waste thousands of pounds of fuel and rubber each and every year. Each one of these structures has extremely caustic components including freon and coolant. After they are about 15 years old we put them in a junk yard to rot and buy new ones (as a society). Many of us actually have multiple vehicles just to ourselves (myself included).

I was in Beijing when China initiated their new policy that charged a nickel tax on plastic trash bags at grocery stores. Literally the next day everyone showed up with baskets. They initiated the policy due to the yellow river becoming blocked by various trash bag 'dams' that were forming. This massive area of trash we have contributed to in the ocean is pathetic. We can determine the lifespan of the universe and extract oil from miles below the ocean yet we can't figure out what to do with some trash in the ocean? Eventually we will pay the piper.

buahahahahaha, you're just funnin' us, aren't you? (if not, your post may actually have set a new low for prime and that's just sad.)

You are really nuts. Challenged? Uninformed? You pick.
If you really think that is correct or the right thing to do your so wrong.:eek:
You truly are the "one man band" as Leo Sayer so well stated.

buahahahahaha, you're just funnin' us, aren't you? (if not, your post may actually have set a new low for prime and that's just sad.)

+1. Crazy story BTW - thanks for the link Dave. Btw - We recycle but I feel at times that it is quite futile. For Eg, about a month ago - I took prolly 200+ plastic bags to the local grocery store for recycling. The recycling bin the front of the store was partially filled with trash! I asked one of the kids(who unloads the groceries) about it and he said this is quite common. They just throw them away b/c nobody wants to separate out the trash from recycling. So - instead I just recycle the bags with the rest of our recycle bin.

Last edited:
We recycle but I feel at times that it is quite futile. For Eg...

If you knew your dog had cancer and was dying, you'd take care of him anyway, not say "well it's useless, he is going to die anyway". You do it because it is the right thing to do. That is why I recycle and have a real guilty conscience if I throw away the smallest thing. Which.... has anyone ever though about this term that we use?

"Throw away" ?? It's like... throw away WHERE? ... "Away from me"? Nothing is that "away" anymore. "Away" is The Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

Back