• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

gas pump clicks off prematurely?

this has happend a few times (about four) in the past two months. I usually re-fuel once a week.

gauge reads 1/8 left, I start refueling, and it cuts off after 2-5 gallons have been added. From then on it won't let me put more than a gallon at a time in.
This has happened at a different gas station every time... any ideas? Is this the car, or driver error? :confused:

The same thing happened to me. Two different pumps at the same gas station. I had to go to a different station. weird

dang, those gas pumps are WHORES! :eek:

The pump shut off is triggered by vacuum, too much vacuum and it shuts off. I'm voting for a clogged fuel hose or purge tank.

Drew

Hi guys,

I just came back from a trip and I've been having the exact same thing happen to me. I did notice that if you let the car sit for a while, then fueling works normally. It seems unlikely that a clogged hose would become unclogged just by temperature (yeah, I know you can come up with a scenario with thermal expansion). Also, I noticed that when you pull the nozzle out, there is a puff of gas vapor, more than normal. I believe something is causing the gas tank to retain pressure inside during fueling, which makes the pump think it's full and shutting off.

Any thoughts?

I did notice that if you let the car sit for a while, then fueling works normally. It seems unlikely that a clogged hose would become unclogged just by temperature (yeah, I know you can come up with a scenario with thermal expansion).

You mean like a clogged hose or purge tank?

Take a look at the bundle of hoses and round tank next to the air filter. The purge tank can get loaded with gasoline and stop accepting vapors...which clogs the hoses etc... Also the system will hold onto vapors and inject them into the intake to reduce passive emissions, it may be unable to do this because of a clog or valve issue.

Over time the vapors will either condense or escape. I'm not sure how you are drawing temperature when you only mention time??

I would take the purge/charcoal tank out and see if you can dump out any liquid gasoline. It may be the problem or the symptom, but it is a good start.

Also, I noticed that when you pull the nozzle out, there is a puff of gas vapor, more than normal.

Dunno.

The tank is a complex system, you are going to have to trace it down and figure it out. The serviceable ends of the hoses are accessible near the air filter, tank or behind the driver seat....

Back