• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

gear shift moves...snap ring?

While in second gear my gear shift moves as i press and lift off the gas. From the FAQ this seems to be the snap ring. At this point is it already broken? Or just about to go? I have an extended warranty that should cover the problem.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Norm,

Is it moving about 1" back and forth? Is the shifter kind of soupy?? IS the trans in the snapring range? You can inspect the snap ring very easily, by removing the cover bolt on the end of the trans housing.

I would do this immediately, driving it, if the snapring has broken, is NOT a good idea. If the snapring has broken, and you have not driven it much, the snapring and trans case, plus a few misc. parts are all you need for the repair. My guess is $1500 total cost (with labor included). This does not take into account when you pull the trans and see your clutch may also be ready for replacement
frown.gif

IF THIS IS COVERED UNDER THE WARRANTY MAKE SURE THEY REPLACE THE TRANS CASE. IF NOT IT WILL BREAK AGAIN. REMEMBER THAT THE TRANS CASE IS THE PROBLEM.

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 31 July 2001).]

Originally posted by NormRD:
While in second gear my gear shift moves as i press and lift off the gas. From the FAQ this seems to be the snap ring. At this point is it already broken? Or just about to go? I have an extended warranty that should cover the problem.

Norm, At this point the snap ring is already broken. I'm curious though, you report this as being only in second gear. Is this the only gear it happens in, or just the one most obvious. The broken snap ring affects the shifter in ALL gears, but it will be most noticable with the most load so second will be worse than first, and third worse than second, depending on speed and rpm. Even though you may have warranty coverage, get it looked at immediately. An aftermarket warranty can acuse you of not taking "care to prevent additional loss" if it gets worse because you kept driving it. Don't think some warranty companies won't try this ploy- They WILL!!

Private me if I can help additionally.
Mark "Trans" Basch

------------------
SuperCharge for World Peace

Sounds like snap ring failure. At the shifter-is-moving-back-and-forth stage, it has failed.

If you take it to an Acura dealer, I do not think they will try to repair the transmission. Acura discourages their dealer network from working on NSX transmissions in favor of swapping out the entire unit.

The movement of the shifter just started today...will bring it in today/tomorow morning. It happens in all gears just most noticable in second. Also feel it in the others.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Try to minimize driving around, as there are a bunch of bits of metal in your tranny case now. My previous NSX experienced the same problems as yours, and I remember gear 2 and 4 were more noticeable.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Back