• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Germany vs. Japan-USA

Forgive me for deviating from the NSX marketplace topic. I decided to play hooky from work on what was likely one of the last nice Iowa days of the season and finally drive my three toys back to back and have some fun.

The 997 is a very comfortable, capable car, with a great 6-speed trans and fantastic suspension. The engine revs forever but is a bit underpowered compared to the other two, as it's just a base Carrera. On a warm, sunny day it's always the ride of choice for my wife and I. Plenty of room for a long weekend away.

The 930 is brutal, visceral and hard to beat for smiles-per-miles. I've put a lot of work into the engine and it's far from stock, with no emissions gear and putting out north of 400 hp. At 2600 lbs with 235/315 R888 tires it carves up twisty country roads like a monster. My daughter can outrun it to the mailbox on her scooter, but when that big turbo spools up, hang on tight cuz you're about to be hit in the back of the head with a sledgehammer. The wastegate bypasses the muffler and at full boost it just screams and blasts two foot flames out the back on shifts. Side note...a couple of months ago I was at a track day and kept waving a guy by who was faster, but he never passed. I ask him why after the session and he said he couldn't take his eyes off the flames. LOL.

This brings us to the NSX. Driving it last was like jumping forward in time. It's so refined, powerful and comfortable. Cornering speeds are are wildly higher, even with the crap Continentals which are going bye-bye in the spring. You really appreciate how great the transmission is after flogging the heavy four speed and cable clutch in the 930. What really strikes me is how effortlessly it accelerates for such a heavy car. Make no mistake, the 930 is fast as heck, but the hybrid/awd/dct puts the NSX on a different planet.

Pretty great day. Happy motoring.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 111
  • FullSizeRender.jpg