• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Getting into motorcycles

I have been wanting to go on motorcycle rides forever now, My dad does and some of my friends do. Already signed up for weekend classes that will count as my license. Ive been on the prowl for a new bike, most of my friends have sports bikes like the cbr600rr and suzuki GSX, ive been looking more at the Harley Iron 883 and forty-eight. Anyone else ride here in socal? what is a good learner bike but wont be super weak after 6 months to a year. What places to you guys ride to? I don't have the need for speed to much in me nowadays so super fast isn't a necessity.

Most experienced rider would recommend to start on a Suzuki SV650 or something smaller. However if you are interested in a sportsbike like cbr600 or gsxr600 or the like, go for it. Just be careful and be safe.

I started with kawi zx6r, bro cbr600rr, friends yzfr6, gsxr 600. Basically and sports bike in the 600 range

as people have stated earlier, start with a 600, if you're going with a sport bike. i had a r6 as my first bike. i wanted to go to a r1 (1000cc) after a couple of months of riding.

cruiser, I'd say Honda Rebel or CB500f. If you're looking to spend a pretty penny on a REALLY nice cruiser that will never go out of style...look at almost the entire Triumph lineup. I prefer the Scrambler

I started riding on the ZX6R a couple months ago. But it sucks running on my minor's permit because im very limited, restrictions...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363576707136.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363576707136.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 263
I started on a Ducati Monster S2R 800. Just buy the bike that you want and learn on that one. Don't buy a "starter bike".

Just buy the bike that you want and learn on that one. Don't buy a "starter bike".

^This^ Unless you want to throw away time and money. Each bike is different and they are all just as dangerous. Buy one you plan on riding for a while. Once you get the itch you're going to want more its just the way it is. The new big boy bikes can be detuned with the flick of a switch making it easer then ever to ride. Anti wheelie, ABS, and TCS are all available on the big sport bikes. I always loved the GSXRs I have had several from the 1300 all stretched out on air to the 1000 a street driven race bike. Find one that feels comfortable to you. I do like the new BMW haven't driven one but they seem bad to the bone.

My point is Respect the bike or it will bite you faster then you can hammer the throttle regardless of what you buy.

Just buy the bike that you want and learn on that one. Don't buy a "starter bike".

If you're looking to spend a pretty penny on a REALLY nice cruiser that will never go out of style...look at almost the entire Triumph lineup. I prefer the Scrambler
I agreed with both, 100%. With not even a single second of seat time I went out and purchased a Daytona 675 (sport bike) and absolutely loved it. Didn't want to buy a starter bike only to have to sell it a few weeks/months later to buy the one I really wanted. Almost everyone else I knew purchased a 600 as their first and within months wished they had gone larger, the 675 was just perfect for me.

Please be safe though.... SoCal is a dangerous place for even experienced riders with the unaware drivers (cagers) out there; gear up, be aware, and enjoy the ride!!

Last edited:
Be careful. Bro picked up a part for his s2k at the time on freeway with minor permit. Bike was impounded over weekend and cost 1000 to get it out.

Mike, get a Kwai or Yamaha if u want added protection. They have slipper clutches (slips so you basically don't loose traction in shifts..... And hard as hell to wheelie....)

Thanks SuperSonic, I ride all geared up with the exception of the leather pants though, but I do not break restriction rules. Better to wait till I have the license in about 2 more months.

All gear, every time...

Whether you get the bike you want or a starter to learn on, buy a used bike (you will cry less when you drop it... not if, just when)

Its called learning for a reason and you pay your dues in seat time

Best advice I ever received, never go anywhere on your bike that your mind hasn't been to 10 seconds prior

I been riding for almost 16 years now. Have gone through 7 bikes, been to most tracks out here on the west: Laguna Seca, Big Willow, Streets of Willow, Pahrump in NV, Buttonwillow, Fontana AMA track..... is there more? haha... Drop me a line anytime dude. Here's a shot of me on my racebike at Streets of Willow, turn 2. 262_26719550842_5848_n.jpg

If your looking into a 883 then I would suggest to get a Honda shadow vlx 600. Since Ducati sportster and Honda sportster have similar styles. Once you feel like your comfy and want to look cool then I highly suggest to bob it out or sell the vlx 600 and hop on the 883 which you originally wanted.

Hi neighbor,

One of my guys here at the office chimed in as he's into the cruising side of things. "He needs to get a forty eight or a 72. don't get an iron as they are only a 883.

also the forty eight has a small gas tank and its kind of an uncomfortable riding position unless he changes the bars plus its more expensive. if it was me id get a 72. or if he wants to go used, look for a Nightster"

now for me, I'd take the V twin and and pair it with a sport bike....RC51 mmmmm

Hi neighbor,

One of my guys here at the office chimed in as he's into the cruising side of things. "He needs to get a forty eight or a 72. don't get an iron as they are only a 883.

also the forty eight has a small gas tank and its kind of an uncomfortable riding position unless he changes the bars plus its more expensive. if it was me id get a 72. or if he wants to go used, look for a Nightster"

now for me, I'd take the V twin and and pair it with a sport bike....RC51 mmmmm

Thanks for the advice. I have been all over the Harley davidson forums. Most of the guys are assholes. im off of the 883 now. i want the Harley 48 badddddd. I know it has a tony fuel tank and can only go like 80-90 miles, but i can carry an extra gallon if i need to its no big deal. I want a Nightster but people selling used Harleys are mainly stupid and most are assholes too. id say 90% of them ask for around msrb price of their bike. These people have no concept that their bike loses value. Ive emailed a few on craigslist saying that you cant post and expect someone to pay msrb price for your used bike and you are insane. I want to buy used as its my first bike but its not worth it. Plus my new bike loan apr% is way lower. Thanks for the advice on the 883. I know i wont be ahppy with it later down the road especially if i want a passenger. I'm not getting a 72, the front wheel is super skinny, it reminds me of a bike cheech and chong would ride.

I'm a little late to the thread...haven't been on in a while.

I started back up riding bikes again after 20 years off and lucky for me I kept my class M1 license current. I really enjoy my 08' GSX-R 750. It has tons of power and is really light and nimble. I got it a couple of years old with low miles so if I decide to get a cruiser later I wont take a hit on selling it. It's not a great bike for long distance because of the body position leaning forward but its a kick riding twisty roads. I do Palomar mountain, Ortega Highway, and Coast Highway rides mostly.

I agree with other posters to make sure you get good protective gear. Kevlar lined jeans at the very least for your legs. I wear Tour Master over pants with a good AlpineStars leather jacket and a DOT and Snell rated helmet. Riding boots that cover you ankles are a must as well as gloves with carbon reinforcements. Pretty much everyone that rides has dropped it once. You don't want to get road rash looking cool riding in jeans and a T-shirt.

Good Luck and have fun!

Poor Sophie. She probably feels abandoned lol. Glad your likening the ride yo :)

Congrats!

Selling my gsx-r 750 also. Been the perfect bike with enough torque to make it easier to ride w/o having to wind it out too much but not too much like on a litre bike (for a beginner) I just dont ride it nearly enough anymore :(

Last edited:
Congrats!

Selling my gsx-r 750 also. Been the perfect bike with enough torque to make it easier to ride w/o having to wind it out too much but not too much like on a litre bike (for a beginner) I just dont ride it nearly enough anymore :(

Does that mean you're selling you NSX too? You never drive it either.:wink:

Back