• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Getting used to the NSX height

Everytime I take the NSX out, I still can't believe how low to the ground this car really is. I find myself chuckling inside whenever Im at a light and my NSX is at the same level as some cars door handles lol. It really feels like a go cart. The funniest was when I pulled up next to a C6 Z06 and it looked like an SUV next to my NSX. I'm sure over time I'll get used to it, no complaints here :smile:

However I do get a bit nervous while passing a Semi, I ALWAYS assume that the driver does not see me and I do my best to make my presence known. Plus having my car in Spa Yellow helps too :biggrin:

The NSX is a wonderful car, full of praise and passion, however in this case, it's being looked down upon................literally haha

The radio antenna helps other vehicles see you!:biggrin:

You should try driving a Miata - being on the highway next to 18 wheelers is a real treat. Jumping back and forth between the NSX and the Miata isn't a huge deal ride height-wise, I think the NSX is a tad lower. Getting back into my RSX the other nite felt like I was sitting in a Hummer.

I always feel wierd when I get back behind the wheel of the Range Rover. I swear that thing drives like a boat.... turn the wheel....wait a few seconds for the truck to catch up. :wink:

I feel exactly the same but I love it. I drive my NSX like I'm riding on a motorcycle, always be alert at all cause.:biggrin:

yeah, no kidding..... even if you look over at a camry, you're staring at the door panel, and not the window. kinda cool actually - can't imagine if it were lowered on top of that :eek:

damn i love low cars :cool:

Everytime I take the NSX out, I still can't believe how low to the ground this car really is. I find myself chuckling inside whenever Im at a light and my NSX is at the same level as some cars door handles lol. It really feels like a go cart. The funniest was when I pulled up next to a C6 Z06 and it looked like an SUV next to my NSX. I'm sure over time I'll get used to it, no complaints here :smile:

However I do get a bit nervous while passing a Semi, I ALWAYS assume that the driver does not see me and I do my best to make my presence known. Plus having my car in Spa Yellow helps too :biggrin:

The NSX is a wonderful car, full of praise and passion, however in this case, it's being looked down upon................literally haha

As my 11 year old daughter said "this is like the road view in Gran Turismo". My 18 year old son have been baptized by the targa top. I told him not to get in head first (his forehead was swollen for 2 days). The NSX is half the height of my Honda Odyssey minivan. Having a Spa Yellow is very visible. My neighbors sometimes tell me "I thought it was you way back there". The NSX is just a fun car to drive, not the fastest, but it is definitely up there on the fun to drive scale.

Its the joy and blessing of being in a TRUE exotic sports car...I would have had to pay around $100,000.00 to get the same experience and thrill from a Lamborghini or Ferrari...Man this is such a phat ride...lol

Dam:cool:

I am used to it because of another car - a Miata. Both cars, the Miata and the NSX alomost got hit by SUVs because they did not know it was behind them. I heard that 46% of vehicles are SUVs.

I think its funny when Vette owners try to get into the NSX and hit their head on the roof...Low frontal area = less drag.:smile:

the nsx does feel low but i want to lower it some more =). too bad the roads in nyc sucks.

I think the NSX is dangerous. It really took me some time to get used to it. I felt like I was in a bulletproof cocoon in my CL600 and getting into the NSX felt like... well... scary. I was really nervous on the highway looking to my left or right and seeing someone's brake calipers.

I still feel this is a dangerous car because of this... an accident will send an SUV right over you.

I do not make phone calls, listen to the radio, eat or drink anything when in the NSX, my hands are on the wheel at all times, and I watch other cars like a hawk. The nimbleness of the car, its handling, braking, and power are its saving grace. It's all active safety. Its also why I have semi-track tires on the car... I wanted the shortest stopping distance possible. This car was designed in 1991 and does not have a side airbag... nevermind curtain, thorax, or knee airbags.

To give you an idea, Mercedes raised the CL600 height 3/4" over european models for safety/accident reasons. That is how small a difference can impact safety. Imagine a car that sits a foot lower.

When you are in your 20's and many owners here are, you think you are invincible. These things do not concern you. But I don't think the NSX's passive safety is any better than an average modern car. Probably worse. If I ever sell this car, that will be one of the strongest factors of why. Its not my daily driver so its OK but I don't want to be on the road with the ever- increasing number of driving-while-distracted operators when in my NSX.

I find that I often will rev the engine to make an indordinate amount of exhaust "noise" in order to warn folks that I'm nearby. It's odd, but I do find my rather loud exhaust to be a bit of a safety feature.

I am used to it because of another car - a Miata. Both cars, the Miata and the NSX alomost got hit by SUVs because they did not know it was behind them. I heard that 46% of vehicles are SUVs.

Looks like we need to install an ATV flag on the fishing pole for the SUVs.:biggrin:

I think the NSX is dangerous. It really took me some time to get used to it. I felt like I was in a bulletproof cocoon in my CL600 and getting into the NSX felt like... well... scary. I was really nervous on the highway looking to my left or right and seeing someone's brake calipers.

I still feel this is a dangerous car because of this... an accident will send an SUV right over you.

I do not make phone calls, listen to the radio, eat or drink anything when in the NSX, my hands are on the wheel at all times, and I watch other cars like a hawk. The nimbleness of the car, its handling, braking, and power are its saving grace. It's all active safety. Its also why I have semi-track tires on the car... I wanted the shortest stopping distance possible. This car was designed in 1991 and does not have a side airbag... nevermind curtain, thorax, or knee airbags.

To give you an idea, Mercedes raised the CL600 height 3/4" over european models for safety/accident reasons. That is how small a difference can impact safety. Imagine a car that sits a foot lower.

When you are in your 20's and many owners here are, you think you are invincible. These things do not concern you. But I don't think the NSX's passive safety is any better than an average modern car. Probably worse. If I ever sell this car, that will be one of the strongest factors of why. Its not my daily driver so its OK but I don't want to be on the road with the ever- increasing number of driving-while-distracted operators when in my NSX.

I totally agreed with you. I am more attentive when I drive my NSX versus my other cars. No cell phone, drinks, or food while driving my NSX (my rules for my self survival). There are lots of driver's on their cell phone and not paying attention. I just don't want to pay for their mistakes. I am constantly checking my surroundings. Drive safe!:smile: :smile: :smile:

I had a friend of mine drive my car and we stopped at the light next to an RX-8 and my friend said , "Dang, his RX-8 looks like a 4x4 compared to this." Haha! I thought it was funny the way he said it. :biggrin:

I find that I often will rev the engine to make an indordinate amount of exhaust "noise" in order to warn folks that I'm nearby. It's odd, but I do find my rather loud exhaust to be a bit of a safety feature.

Yup. A lot of people who stop and comment on the car say that they heard me before they saw me.

I feel more visible on my bike than I do in the NSX.

My gosh!!! Its one thing to be cautious while driving the NSX and another to worry yourself to death about it. It seems as if you worry more about dieing in the car than enjoying the wonderful piece of machinery you are driving. I am 30 years old, have a LOT to live for and don’t consider myself invincible by any means. However, I don’t worry one bit about being run over by a semi or hit by an SUV. Anything is possible, but as long as you are alert while driving (and yes, you can still listen to the radio and be alert at the same time), the odds of something like that happening are slim…...no matter what vehicle you are in. :wink:

Here, here Semnos...I agree with you. I do fear getting hit by others - so that is why I do not drive the car until all the gravel is off the roads! I also take into account what is going on in the city - like our Stampede Week...way too many drunks on the road! Other than that you have to realize that things happen...and your number could come up at any time. So enjoy your car and drive it.

Here, here Semnos...I agree with you. I do fear getting hit by others - so that is why I do not drive the car until all the gravel is off the roads! I also take into account what is going on in the city - like our Stampede Week...way too many drunks on the road! Other than that you have to realize that things happen...and your number could come up at any time. So enjoy your car and drive it.

Very well said......nothing wrong with being cautious. Now, stressing/worrying over it, well...........

I don't think its that low, but on the other hand when I drive my "fastcar" then I'm really close to the ground... ( I once had a car reverse in to me in a junction, he looked back, but I was so close that he didn't see me at all.. :( )

loooow car..
http://www.trampebil.se/budda/2003-07-06-save-stadskamp/imagepages/image11.htm

so, what I'm trying to say is, If you put your hand out, and it touches the asphalt... Then your driving a low car.. :biggrin:

My gosh!!! Its one thing to be cautious while driving the NSX and another to worry yourself to death about it. It seems as if you worry more about dieing in the car than enjoying the wonderful piece of machinery you are driving. I am 30 years old, have a LOT to live for and don’t consider myself invincible by any means. However, I don’t worry one bit about being run over by a semi or hit by an SUV. Anything is possible, but as long as you are alert while driving (and yes, you can still listen to the radio and be alert at the same time), the odds of something like that happening are slim…...no matter what vehicle you are in. :wink:

I am not worried about myself, I worry about others. I have had a few close calls... its made me more cautious and aware of how things go wrong in a split second. I don't sandwich myself in between cars just so I have an exit at all times.

I don't know what to tell you... its much worse in the NSX for me than my other cars. But it adds to the fun I guess... :biggrin: .. I enjoy driving the car tremendously.

At a stoplight two weeks ago, the drivers in cars on either side of me had a complete conversation over my head. I couldn't even hear a word! :eek:

My brother says getting out of it is like rolling out of bed. :biggrin:

Back