• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GM CEO calls for $1 gas tax hike

Gas is a business expense for me so the price increases don't really hurt me.

I just had my 2nd run in with being hit by an unisured and/or someone with the bare minimum coverage on a collision.

if increased gas prices make people drive wimpy 4-bangers and hybrids and force the rest to take the bus then I'm all for it.

the streets belongs to high power cars with wide open roads.

Not surprising considering they bet the farm on this.....

CHEVY_VOLT_LI-1.jpg

sad part is in the recent economy, most people are not able to just go out and buy a new car just to get something more fuel efficient.

....because they are owned and subsidized by big government. You notice that Ford has not come out saying the same thing. Oh, and don't forget that they are already looking at a tax aimed at electric cars to offset the revenues they lose at the pump.

And I call for his head.....................

Gas is a business expense for me so the price increases don't really hurt me.

I just had my 2nd run in with being hit by an unisured and/or someone with the bare minimum coverage on a collision.

if increased gas prices make people drive wimpy 4-bangers and hybrids and force the rest to take the bus then I'm all for it.

the streets belongs to high power cars with wide open roads.

I'm surprised you don't make the correlation between higher gas prices and people with no insurance because they can no longer afford it.

People aren't going to stop driving.....they will just stop maintaining their cars; i.e. run their tires till their bald, have 4 tires that don't match, not get their brakes fixed, cancel their insurance and so on.........

Nobody wants a new car. Have you seen used car prices :eek:this morning on the radio, they had a huge vw dealer begging people to come in and sell there used vw's. Its a good time to be a used car dealer.

i'm all in favor of ANY tax that is applied to everyone, vs. the usual, which is where the bottom earners pay way less and use way more (of tax payor funded programs).

no, i'm not in favor of tax in general. but i'm a HELL of a lot more likely to support an equal tax. i don't own a business worth more than $5M, but i still think it's BS that the death tax rapes the wealthy, when they've ALREADY been taxed on the money they are giving away.

The death tax rapes more than the wealthy. There are family-owned farms that have been in the family for generations and when the owner dies the son or daughter can't afford to pay the death tax and are forced to sell the farm. Happens more often than you might think.

And there are many other similar stories that involve average, not rich people.

In this current depression we're in, it makes no sense to raise any taxes.

This Akerson imbecile is worse than Wagoner. :eek:

Makes me real proud to own a GM. :rolleyes:

If you guys actually read past the headline, you would have noticed this key point you're all missing:

"Akerson said he would support a jump in the gas tax if it came instead of tighter fuel economy regulations that GM and other automakers will have to meet in coming years."

Seems like a really good idea to me. Why shouldn't we let individual people and the free markets determine what products to buy and offer versus a government regulated average minimum which invariably restricts the products a company offers. If, hypothetically, I wanted to buy a car with a naturally aspirated 7 liter engine and pay more for the gas, why shouldn't I have that option versus GM dropping it from their lineup to reach an arbitrary government mandated CAFE minimum? Do you all really think CAFE minimums are the best way to acheive better overall fuel economy/efficiency? As a free market proponent, I don't.

Give people options and make them pay for what they use. Seems like a very American solution to me.

If you guys actually read past the headline, you would have noticed this key point you're all missing:

"Akerson said he would support a jump in the gas tax if it came instead of tighter fuel economy regulations that GM and other automakers will have to meet in coming years."

PWN3D!!
Basically GM wants the buyers to pay the tax as opposed to GM trying to meet the regulations... haha.

All we need is another f n tax hike.......dumb asses in Washington cant balance the books now, what would another dollar a gallon do for them? Just makes me sick......GM should have already gone under, I would not be talking so tall and proud, but instead try to bring people back into the showrooms to purchase new cars and trucks........And where was this guy when GM was pushing SUVs and Hummers a few years back?:mad:

All we need is another f n tax hike.......dumb asses in Washington cant balance the books now, what would another dollar a gallon do for them? Just makes me sick......GM should have already gone under, I would not be talking so tall and proud, but instead try to bring people back into the showrooms to purchase new cars and trucks........And where was this guy when GM was pushing SUVs and Hummers a few years back?:mad:

TX91Brent you are going to LOOOOVE this column:

http://www.autoextremist.com/

A brief portion from the beginning:

THE AUTOEXTREMIST

June 8, 2011

"Lt. Dan" dons his war paint and comes out swinging. Welcome to life during wartime in the Motor City.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

(Posted 6/6 7:00 p.m.) Detroit. As you read this GM Public Relations is mounting an all-out charm offensive on behalf of CEO Dan Akerson, so over the next several weeks and months you will be seeing interviews and one-on-ones in the media with GM’s latest leader du jour. The goal? To make Dan Akerson sound like America’s NGBL (Next Great Business Leader) in the hopes of silencing and marginalizing industry commentators like myself while giving all of you out there in Consumer Nation an up close and personal glimpse into the imaginative mind of GM’s Commander-in-Chief, a U.S. Naval Academy graduate (just ask him) with a degree in engineering (long since dormant, I might add, even though that’s painfully obvious).

#######################

I was going to go back several weeks to capture Mr. De Lorenzo's previous writings about "Lt. Dan" Akerson, but this week's De Lorenzo Rant just about sums it all up! If you wish to go back for them, see the bottom of his Rant where it says "If you would like to read previous Autoextremist issues, click on "Next Entry" below."
He has BBQ-d Akerson since Akerson's appointment at GM! :biggrin:

Seems like a really good idea to me. Why shouldn't we let individual people and the free markets determine what products to buy and offer versus a government regulated average minimum which invariably restricts the products a company offers. If, hypothetically, I wanted to buy a car with a naturally aspirated 7 liter engine and pay more for the gas, why shouldn't I have that option versus GM dropping it from their lineup to reach an arbitrary government mandated CAFE minimum? Do you all really think CAFE minimums are the best way to acheive better overall fuel economy/efficiency? As a free market proponent, I don't.

Give people options and make them pay for what they use. Seems like a very American solution to me.

There is something wrong with your reading comprehension. Not ours. :tongue:

I think we should do CAFE *AND* raise the gas tax by $2 a gallon. That'll teach you lead footers to change your ways.

And for people that complain like you all are doing... I'd add an extra "whiner tax" on top of your paychecks.

Long live trees and polar bears.

4051189618_a043562ed8.jpg

Cool photo, Turbo :biggrin:

Bwahaha, Rush Limbaugh is BBQ'g Dan Akerson right now! :tongue:

More on Akerson and GM from "Autoextremist"-

ON THE TABLE

June 8, 2011

The GM Board. Editor-in-Chief’s Note: Here’s a memo to all the board members who will be in attendance at GM’s annual shareholder’s meeting on Tuesday, June 7th in Detroit. While you’re beholding your Esteemed Leader (Lt. Dan) and shouting the obligatory "huzzahs!" welcome to the cold, hard, High-Octane Truth. You’re a bunch of carpetbagging enablers who have no business being associated with what was once one of America’s glittering corporate icons. Instead of Doing the Right Thing when you had the chance your abject refusal to seek out and find the proper, credentialed executive leader to run this company all but ensures that “three or four years from now” (according to Lt. Dan's timetable) you’re going to find yourselves right back in the thick of it trying to figure out how best to get this company jump-started again. Congratulations, because there has never been a time in American business history when so few have done so much damage to so many in the guise of corporate governance. Unforgivable. And flat-out inexcusable. - PMD

Dan Akerson. Editor-in-Chief's Note: Lt. Dan also told The Detroit News in last week's now famous interview that he wants to boost sales of luxury cars, and revealed GM's plan to launch two new Cadillac models next summer as 2013 models: the XTS large sedan (which replaces the DTS and STS) and the ATS compact sedan. "They're not going to blow the doors off," he said, "but they will be very competitive." On the one hand I applaud Akerson's honesty, but on the other hand "good enough" hasn't been good enough in this business for oh, at least a decade. And particularly for American car companies emerging from bankruptcy, good enough will never be "good enough." - PMD

:eek:

Look at GM.
The first to take a welfare check, and the first to suggest everyone else pays higher taxes.
I'll N E V E R buy a GM product.

The death tax rapes more than the wealthy. There are family-owned farms that have been in the family for generations and when the owner dies the son or daughter can't afford to pay the death tax and are forced to sell the farm. Happens more often than you might think.

And there are many other similar stories that involve average, not rich people.

In this current depression we're in, it makes no sense to raise any taxes.

No offense but I think we should look at the actual facts, not stories and hypothetical probabilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estate_tax_in_the_United_States#Exemptions_and_tax_rates

In 2011, you can pass $5MM tax free to your heirs. Your spouse (if you have one) can also pass $5MM tax free to your heirs. $5MM seems like a pretty good chunk of money to me (never mind $10MM). Also it is only the incremental amount over $5MM that gets taxed.

Now if you want to talk about problems with the current system, let's talk about how the very rich don't pay estate tax due to loopholes of life insurance products.

Back