• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Going from a ferrari 360 back to an nsx?

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds, and fast cars - the rest I just squandered." - George Best

I've just had a ride in an F430 and it wowed me. I was ready to start a Scuderia fund but have decided to hold off until the new NSX is out to see what it's like. F430 Scud is my new benchmark for what the new NSX *should* be.

I'm assuming that ~$65k can buy a respectable/reasonable 360 Modena and ~$75k for a Gallardo. Not sure if R8s have "fallen" into that price-strata yet.

Humor me, what is the entry-point on a Carrera-GT now (ie. ~$275k? ~$325k? etc.)...?

Need to go north of ~$150k to get a righteous Ford-GT nowadays.

And the 12C is staying strong at ~$200k.

I still got a soft spot for AM Vantage V8s, they're holding strong at ~$60k for a sorted, solid example.

The N/A Caddie XLR-V may be a relative ol' man's bargain for GT-ing experience! :D

BTW....I was about to buy a 2004 F360 in 2007 when I decided to get a GT3 instead. After that I forgot about the 360 and wanted a F458 then I drove a 12C. End of story.

Quote of the day: when you see someone driving a F458, he may be a show-off(not that there is anything wrong with that)....when you see someone driving a big Mac 12C....he knows exactly what he is doing.

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds, and fast cars - the rest I just squandered." - George Best

I've just had a ride in an F430 and it wowed me. I was ready to start a Scuderia fund but have decided to hold off until the new NSX is out to see what it's like. F430 Scud is my new benchmark for what the new NSX *should* be.

what wowed u?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote of the day: when you see someone driving a F458, he may be a show-off(not that there is anything wrong with that)....when you see someone driving a big Mac 12C....he knows exactly what he is doing.

I just wished the 12C looks matched the pricetag.

I think 65k may be a little low for 360s. I have heard 80 for a clean one.

My heart is set on 430 Scud now though. 130k asking.

- - - Updated - - -

what wowed u?

The sound, the ergonomics/driving position, the way it felt. Grippy yet relatively comfortable.

Did I mention the sound?

Enormous legroom in the footwell, super comfortable seat, very spacious cabin, and great visibility.

And the sound.

what wowed u?

- - - Updated - - -

I just wished the 12C looks matched the pricetag.

It is good looking, but not great looking. The ferrari 458 looks much better IMO. I can't put my finger on why the Mclaren isn't great looking.

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder:

McLaren 12C Vs. F458 Italia:

Front: The Front end of the F458 looks a little weird to me. The multi angle hood is Ugly IMHO, and so are the headlights. They remind me of a Japanese cartoon character. The front wheel gap is HUGE. The 12C looks more generic when compared to the F458 but it is more timeless too(similar to the NSX). In Pics: It can easily be confused for a Lotus but it looks much nicer (IMHO) in person.

Side views: I prefer the side profile of the F48.

Rear: A tie. some prefer the clean look of the Italia, others prefer the functioanl look of the 12C. I like the multiple lines/fender bulges of the 12C and really think the spider adds a touch of class since it has Carrera GT style Louvers.

Driving Experience: The 12C wins HANDS DOWN each and every day. It can be driven daily, weekend trips, track days etc. The F458 is more for the Valet parking/garage queen crowd. I have yet to see a F458 at a DE.

Reliability: The F458 wins HANDS DOWN(except for the fire issue). McLaren is still learing how to build cars.

Buying Experience: McLaren wins HANDS DOWN. No contest there. The local Ferrari dealership expects you to buy ANY used car off their lot before you place an order. In fact they bragged you can order your new car the same day you finish up the paper work on one of their used cars.

Resale: Ferrari Hands Down.... but its way more complicated then that. Remember you have buy a used one then trade it in and lose $25-35K to get your new one. Then you have to add the depreciation of your 2nd car to the 1st one to actually get to the REAL depreciation. Mclaren - go to the dealership, see if you like what they have in stock, otherwise custom order one and negotiate.

Attention getting: Pretty even. Actually I was hoping the 12C would get less attention.

Exhaust note: F458>>>12C......but if you plan to drive it then the F458 note get olds really really fast.

Which you should choose: Anybody who can afford a 12C can afford a F458. Pick the one you love the most.....DUH!!!

Last edited:
The 12c is gorgeous but it does look like a corrected HSC concept or new NSX. Better looking than a 458 to this day. And it's doors are badass for that price point as a bonus ;)

The McLaren looks like a $125k car..... from Japan.

Not a $300k Euro car.

Although I replied to you Bats, this is for everyone that poo-poos the 12c looks.

I think you all are crazy.

Which car in Japan does it look like? the GTR? The LFA?

Ok, lets go slumming. Does it look like a 370z? RX-8? Eclipse?

It looks like what? It's derivative of what? There is very little out there that looks anything like it.

There was a thread somewhere on Prime talking about how the 12c looks more like an evolution of the NSX than the new NSX 2.0 does. And I agree. Even down to what is being said: too plain, too derivative, no pizzazz. All things said when the NSX was originally released. Understated.

I agree with Ritesh and Caustic on the 12C aesthetics (I was the one saying 12C looked more like what I thought an NSX 2.0 might be). It's a clean and relatively understated design that has all of the cues to make it an obvious exotic (wide, low, exaggerated wheel arches, scoops & vents, stance, etc) without going too far to make a statement for the sake of it (think Lamborghini Diablo). Some might call that boring but IMO those are the designs likely to hold up better over time (the conservative 911 demonstrates this well). To each his own; I'll take minimal understated designs any day :smile:

Personally I think the mclaren f1 still looks better than the mc12. I finally saw one in person and loved it. I also think the mc12 Spyder looks better than the coupe.

I tried to get a ride in the mc12 last week but the owner wasn't home. :(

Although I replied to you Bats, this is for everyone else that poo-poos the 12c looks.

There was a thread somewhere on Prime talking about how the 12c looks more like an evolution of the NSX than the new NSX 2.0 does. And I agree. Even down to what is being said: too plain, too derivative, no pizzazz. All things said when the NSX was originally released. Understated.

That's exactly what I mean......

Euro cars.... certainly ones that are in this price range should be at least 2 generations ahead of the Japanese counterparts in design.

Driving Experience: The 12C wins HANDS DOWN each and every day. It can be driven daily, weekend trips, track days etc. The F458 is more for the Valet parking/garage queen crowd. I have yet to see a F458 at a DE.

personally, I would say the 458 is the better driver's car, for driving. proper driving...

I was at the track the other day and so was a 458, most of the guys there loved my car more maybe because it is rarer here than the Ferrari, maybe because some older cars like ours have something newer ones dont.
However on the track it just smoked me to the point i said that's just not fair.... i so want the new NSX

Hmmm - a McClaren MC12? Why would a McClaren have a Maserati trident in the grill?
No, that's a Maserati MC12. Ritesh was simply correcting Netviper's earlier mistype. Confusing if you don't read the prior posts for context.

Since I am posting anyways, I LOVE the looks of the McLaren mp4, but I have to give it up to the 458 for being even more stunning. I really respect the bold design elements that Ferrari put in to that car. Seeing them side by side at car shows, the 458 pops more.

.... trident in the grill?

poseidon_sculpture.jpg

I was at the track the other day and so was a 458, most of the guys there loved my car more maybe because it is rarer here than the Ferrari, maybe because some older cars like ours have something newer ones dont.
However on the track it just smoked me to the point i said that's just not fair.... i so want the new NSX

for sure, an NSX is a very rare (and cool) car these days. I can see fifteen 458's on a Sunday drive here in L.A. it's rare I ever see another NSX. and people seem to really enjoy seeing the older cars these days. but if I had enough bank, i'd be in a dime-a-dozen 458 too... :smile:

Last edited:
It sounds like the only way to 'scratch this itch" is going to be to get the 360! Trust me I understand the bucket list. You can always come back to the NSX, but it seems as if prices are stable to going up no matter the mileage. I have a friend that left the NSX and went to the F car, he did two versions of the F430 and has never looked back. The only change that I noticed is that he did not drive the F cars as much as he would the NSX. I never asked him but the penalty seems to be high mileage F cars dont seem to do as well as high mileage NSXs on the resell market. Also you better get Red in an F car because the first of his was red and he sold it no worries, the second was black and it sat for a while. Call me crazy but the F car would be fun but at a cost. I can tell you that I get more thumbs up in the NSX and when riding in my friend's F cars people tend to use another finger!

The douchey Lamborghini sales guy said you did not have to pull the motor to do the service on the last 2 years of the 360. Don't know how true that is. He told us the cars are cheap to maintain as he has had 3. I would say his were NOT well maintained.

Last edited:
Well, of course it's cheap to maintain if you never actually maintain it!

Back