• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Going from a ferrari 360 back to an nsx?

I can tell you that I get more thumbs up in the NSX and when riding in my friend's F cars people tend to use another finger!

People see you drive an NSX, "Oh, he must be a connoisseur"

People see you drive a Ferrari "cocky bastard"

Seriously though, I'd trade my NSX for an F430, but not a 360.

Last edited:
Although I replied to you Bats, this is for everyone that poo-poos the 12c looks.

There was a thread somewhere on Prime talking about how the 12c looks more like an evolution of the NSX than the new NSX 2.0 does. And I agree. Even down to what is being said: too plain, too derivative, no pizzazz. All things said when the NSX was originally released. Understated.

Every time I see the 12c I want to kick the shit out of the NSX 2.0 design team.

I know someone who daily'd his 12c and put 30k miles on it and... it is falling apart. Still under warranty, of course, but I shudder to think what will happen as soon as it isn't.

Ferrari owners high-five when their car crosses 50k miles. I was in a 430 that is pushing 90k (same as my purple car, in fact) and according to the owner "everything has broken once and the engine has broken twice"

These companies just don't know how to build cars that last a long time. At 90k miles the purple car has many, many years of regular driving ahead. I'm glad I have a car I can use all the time without worrying about it.

These companies just don't know how to build production cars that last a long time..

Fixed :biggrin:
12C @ 30k miles & its falling apart?? :eek: Ritesh & Greg TT has a 12C.....I am curious what they have to say.
.....& your 90k is just broken in:smile:

Well, race cars have to last one season, and you can rebuild the engine after every race, so yeah... production cars indeed :)

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder.....

Love input from those who own the goods and are willing to talk about it.

Today was a "lost" day spent largely on the computer, as I'm somewhat captive to Pittsburgh while being on call during an installation my company is doing in Europe, which is also why I missed NSXPO this year, sadly... But I joined FerrariChat today just so I could catch up on DeHaldeswerth's adventures since he's laid low on Prime for many months. I don't think his opinion is Gospel but it he's owned enough different supercars to have an opinion that I do learn from. He's on his second 458 (a white one too...) so he's been around enough to have a wide perspective... Anyway, I found it interesting these things he and others have mentioned about the NSX in relation to the majority of talk of Ferrari's at that site:

Post #4 here:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia/346190-rookie-questions.html

Post #10 here:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia/365047-favourite-part-458-a.html

Post #7 here:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/89972-real-world-availability-430-coupe.html

There seems to be about equal amounts dismissal and admiration for the NSX at FerrariChat. Not that any of their opinions or anyone's opinion for that matter are more important than opinion of the person making his own buying decision...but there's often something to be learned from the experience of others who have been there...especially the articulate ones.

This thread was a little enlightening:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ge...n-murrary-says-mclaren-f1s-benchmark-nsx.html

Anyway - looking forward to seeing what the OP does and I hope he follows up here with his adventure along the way.

DSCF0652.jpgIMG_1712.jpg

All Ferrari's are POS and I should know because I have owned 4 and still have two left. My 360 was the worst of all because the F1 shift had horrible electrical gremlins. I drove the car about 4000 miles and was towed twice in that short period because the car would get stuck in neutral. With that said, I still love most Ferrari's for the beauty of the car. The picture of the engine out of my 355 is something that I have seen one too many times. Never had to see my NSX engine on a stand. :)

Last edited:

great thread above, I thought it was very enlightening. at least some of the Ferrari owners out there appreciate and understand how important the NSX was in its time. those guys said the same thing some of us do; that it was underpowered and left out to dry by Honda. if Honda updated the NSX the way Ferrari does their cars (355, 360, 430, 458, etc.), how good would the NSX be right now?

Last edited:
The F355 requires the engine to be dropped to replace the belts. On the 360 they put an access panel in the firewall so you could change them with the engine in the car saving time and money.

Last edited:
Doug, I say sell your NSX and get the 360 cause you never drive it anyway. Lol Then I'll stop bugging you to come to cars and coffee, sonic, Bakers, or any car meets! Tom can bug you instead, he's looking for other F cars.

We just spent another few hours fixing his front suspension a few weeks ago cause he busted some suspension screw going over a bump. After market of course. :/

There seems to be a very wide range of information as far as cost and such the like on a 360. I have had a 360 for 7 years and absolutely love it. It is driven regularly short and long distances nearly year round (except on snow days). I find it very similar to the NSXs that I have had the pleasure of driving. It has cost me about 2k a year in maintenance and such the like over the past 7 years. This is a little front heavy since I had to convert it from garage queen status when it was purchased. Yes, a large number of people have had terrible experiences and lots of horror stories about 30k engine rebuilds and 20k service bills. I cannot attest to any of that but it has been my experience that regular use can reduce a lot of the issues. No battery tenders here. My car is stock, and it is a blast. Hopefully I will be able to add an NSX in the near future as well.

Have driven the 360, stock, base, you are not looking for something more "AMAZING" or "FAST" .. dynamics were great, but, I'd take a 360 only if it was a CS ... then hell yes!

Every time this type of thread pops up people scream maintenance costs but is it really that significant?

I have friends with 360/430/458 and the latter 458 guy drives it to get coffee and puts miles on it like it was a Corolla even letting me borrow it for a weekend. Granted I took good care of the car but I have to agree with him the car in comfort mode drives like a Camry. Only the turn signals on the steering wheel give away the feeling it's a potent race car underneath.

My point is do F-car owners really care since in my past experience, all of them have been pretty easy going. I average low miles on most of my cars so would an engine rebuild even be in the equation???

P.S. I would only buy a 6-speed manual F-car but unfortunately like Oscar said only the Stradale is worthy along with the 16M and 458 but none of those are available with a manual tranny so maybe the car gods are saying the F-car was never meant to be for me? :) Guess I'll keep looking for an R8 one day!

Last edited:
Would you guys rather have a real NSX-R or a 458?

Do we have to write the check? I really don't think you can compare a 458 to any iteration NSX, just my 2 cents

Would you guys rather have a real NSX-R or a 458?

REAL NSX-R!!!! There are gonna be 20,000+ F458's to pick from but just a few Original NSX-R's. I would take that in a heartbeat.

Ditch the Altima-on-steriods (GTR....A car with no "man pedal"), keep the NSX, and add the 360. :D

Back