• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Good steak house in Austin Texas?

Mistakenly posted this in the SouthEastern section - whoops!
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165993

I am going to be in Austin for the weekend with my wife and I would like to take the folks who are putting us up for the weekend out for a nice meal as well as introduce my wife to texas steak.

Anyone have any recommendations? We will be out in the Round Rock/Cedar Park area.

I recognize that most people will likely be up at NSXPO, but are there any good car events going on this weeknd? I know there are more than a few fine vehicles in the Austin area and it might be nice to pop in and have a look around.

Thanks in advance!

We're big steak eaters so we've tried just about everyone in the City, here are some recommendations.

Austin Land and Cattle on Lamar. Not to be confused with the Land and Cattle chain.

Flemings. It is a chain both locations (downtown) and in the domain are excellent.

Perry's Steakhouse (downtown).

Vince Youngs (downtown). I have not yet personally been to this restaurant, but have heard from others that it is good.

My list:

Perrys - been multiple times. Excellent.
Flemings - Excellent
Sullivans - V good, but I don't really like it because of the atmosphere

The above, plus Ruth's Chris, are all variations of the same premium steakhouse. $40 for a piece of meat on a white plate. $10 sides, almost always the same (garlic mashers, asparagus spears, etc.). So I think they are kind of boring even if the meat is good. Perrys usually has Kobe beef off the menu.

I will never pay for a steak at Vince Young. Just can't spend money at a place made famous by a whiny baby UT football player.

I hear good things about Austin Land and Cattle. Just haven't been there. Do not go to Texas Land and Cattle, which is below Outback in quality. Also have heard III Forks is very good.

A place to consider is Fogo de Chao (downtown) - a Brazilian Churrascaria place. Fixed price, flavorful, for the carnivore.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the recommendations, as it turned out we were limited by kids as babysitters were only available for one night. We did do Rudy's which was great and Electric cock chicken & waffles.

Austin is a nice place, parts of it certainly live up to the "weird" reputation and the hill country is very sharp (took a trip out to The Oasis and the roads looked lovely).

Maybe next time we will hit a steakhouse.

Thanks all for the recommendations, as it turned out we were limited by kids as babysitters were only available for one night. We did do Rudy's which was great and Electric cock chicken & waffles.

Austin is a nice place, parts of it certainly live up to the "weird" reputation and the hill country is very sharp (took a trip out to The Oasis and the roads looked lovely).

Maybe next time we will hit a steakhouse.

If you go out near the Oasis again and want to eat something terrific try Hudsons on the Bend. Steiner Ranch Steakhouse is also in that area and some say it is very good. I have not been there.

Back