• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Good thing no one got hurt

<header class="header" id="yui_3_9_1_1_1392917884677_332" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px; overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 16.25px;">Porsche tells 911 GT3 owners to park their cars over engine fires

</header>
7485c980-9a46-11e3-8425-dfb40e44c0b8_firefireporsche.jpg
A 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 burns in Germany Feb. 5
In any given year, automakers issue hundreds of recalls for safety defects on their vehicles. In a few rare cases, the defect can be so dangerous than an automaker will tell owners to stop driving and have their car towed to a dealership rather than risk saying on the road. Today, another such order arrived from an unlikely source: Porsche, which is struggling to find why its $120,000 911 GT3s are setting themselves on fire.

This morning, the German automaker said it would tell all 785 owners worldwide of the 2014 edition of the 911 GT3 to park their 475-hp sports cars immediately and wait for a hauler to take them to the nearest dealership. That order comes after reports of five 911 GT3s catching fire in Europe, including the one in Germany shown above. According to local police, the driver heard strange noises from the engine, and stopped the car just as flames began to emerge. No deaths or injuries have been blamed on the flames to date.

Porsche says it's still studying the problem to find a cause, and it's not the first time an expensive sports car showed a tendency for self-immolation; three years ago, Ferrari had to perform a similar recall on the 458 Italia. Until Porsche finds and fixes the problem, 911 GT3 owners will have to settle for a slower but less-flammable set of wheels.

This story is written just for Hugh. OK, Hugh, go for it. Go ahead, languish in it. Add it to the F-car legacy. :biggrin:

Porsche says it's still studying the problem to find a cause, and it's not the first time an expensive sports car showed a tendency for self-immolation; three years ago, Ferrari had to perform a similar recall on the 458 Italia. Until Porsche finds and fixes the problem, 911 GT3 owners will have to settle for a slower but less-flammable set of wheels.

The Ferraris, albeit beautiful cars, catch fire because they are built like shit. The P-car engulfs itself in flames for two reasons. The first being it is one of the ugliest things ever to ride on four tires and secondly, it's God's way of telling you how stupid you look driving a car with the engine located behind the rear axle. Marshmallows anyone? :)

Last edited:
I don't understand why Porsche can't figure out how to make proper engines.
Maybe they do it on purpose so there's not too many old 911's on the road????

It's a 3.8L 475hp 6 cylinder. I think they've figured out how to make a proper engine.

Have they nailed down the engine as the culprit in the fires?

All the people who had to replace engines due to the IMS issue would probably say even if Porsche does know how to make a proper engine, they don't always put one in your car.

It's a 3.8L 475hp 6 cylinder. I think they've figured out how to make a proper engine.

I don't know, I can probably design a 475hp 3.8l that only last 50,000 miles.
Doesn't seem very impressive to me.

Last edited:
Hugh is my hero alongside BATMANs you guys rock.

if the end of the world arrives I am high tailing to your house with all my food and rifles since Im only hours away LOL

I bet it's the automatic transmissions incinerating themselves out of frustration that they were chosen solely over the traditional manual shift in the semi-flagship performance car of one of the worlds top-tier performance car manufacturers. Blasphemy.

I said it before and I'll say it again: It's not about the damn lap times or shift speeds, it's about connecting with the car and being happy and putting a smile on your face. I don't remember the last time I encountered a serious auto enthusiast that said, "....now if only it had an automatic transmission, then I'd be happy, then it'd all be complete..." ///rant__.

Last edited:
Back