• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got a red light camera ticket? I can help.....

basically they hold about as much weight as the paper they were printed on...

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my word for it, but unless it is sent "certified mail", throw it away...They have no teeth, at least here is California...

I saw a news report that said alot of people are not paying them or showing up for court on them and there is nothing the DMV or courts can do about it..I wish I would have known this before I paid $500 last year for mine...

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my word for it, but unless it is sent "certified mail", throw it away...They have no teeth, at least here is California...

I saw a news report that said alot of people are not paying them or showing up for court on them and there is nothing the DMV or courts can do about it..I wish I would have known this before I paid $500 last year for mine...
I've read/heard the same thing. It is costing the state more to enforce this than the revenue they receive from it. I forget the ROI on this for the state but it was terrible.

Now how about getting out of a ticket for going 75 in a 65? haha

Yeah, red light tickets are hard to enforce. If you can't positively ID the driver in the photo, you can't issue a ticket. Also, generally speaking, a police officer needs to give eye witness testimony to make the ticket valid. There are too many questions left unanswered with just the photos.

I once had a camera take my picture when I made a free right at a photo enforced intersection (never got a ticket, though).

Don't want to hijack this thread, but San Francisco is going to eliminate the tool booths for the Golden Gate bridge. (According to the San Francisco Chronicle) Photos of your license plate will be taken and a bill will be mailed to your home. Seriously.

You are saying your infomation cannot be forwarded to DMV prior the court rulings? So no court ---> no ruling ---> no DMV record?

Here in NYC it is a $60 fine/no points .... dont know what would happen if you try and fight it but most people just pay it here and go on with there lives. If it was $500 im sure there would be more resistance :eek:

Don't want to hijack this thread, but San Francisco is going to eliminate the tool booths for the Golden Gate bridge. (According to the San Francisco Chronicle) Photos of your license plate will be taken and a bill will be mailed to your home. Seriously.

They already do this for some toll roads in Texas. My dad borrowed one of our cars and we get a bill for a $1.00 toll. No big deal, but the processing fee was $3.00. The processing fee was the same for the first 3 sheets of tolls, but that's an absurd ratio for just a single toll.:eek:

They already do this for some toll roads in Texas. My dad borrowed one of our cars and we get a bill for a $1.00 toll. No big deal, but the processing fee was $3.00. The processing fee was the same for the first 3 sheets of tolls, but that's an absurd ratio for just a single toll.:eek:

To my point. If they didn't think they could collect the toll or if people could ignore payment of the toll for the Golden Gate bridge, I don't think they would do away with the toll collectors. I think they have already figured out how to collect from out of state cars, rental cars, etc.

Don't think I would ignore a red light camera ticket. Just my opinion.

I had the camera take the picture, but I never got the ticket :confused:. Maybe because I was on my motorcycle with a full face helmet :tongue:. The state is removing the cameras in several municipalities here in Missouri. They cost more to rent and operate than the revenue they return. There is justice!
Happy Motoring!

Got one of these tickets -- but it wasn't me driving. I don't think they can just be ignored. I'm guessing that the court will keep sending notices, each time raising the "bail". Or, just nail you next time you need to renew your DL or register the car.

The rudest thing is that if I want to plead not guilty, I have to go down to the courthouse -- doing this by mail requires the full bail to be sent in. I don't really feel like loaning the city $500 on the hope they find me not guilty and pay me back.

Just a big hassle...

I got a red light ticket down in Savannah last year. I called to request a trial and they told me that it wasn't actually a criminal citation and they didn't hold trials for them. I told 'em to call me back when they issued a criminal citation, but to otherwise refrain from contacting me.

Since the state won't let me shoot at red light runners, I'm kind of interested to see what happens when they put the cameras in here. I don't really care if some special snowflakes don't feel like paying, I just want them to stop at the freaking lights.

I got a red light ticket down in Savannah last year. I called to request a trial and they told me that it wasn't actually a criminal citation and they didn't hold trials for them. I told 'em to call me back when they issued a criminal citation, but to otherwise refrain from contacting me.

These are not real. Ignore them. They are sent by some private company hoping to scare people into sending them money.

I toss these in the shredder. Studies are showing that these red light cameras cause more rear end collisions from drivers freaking out & locking them up so as to not get a ticket, than the red light running that they are meant to make us safe from.

The whole concept is a dumb idea.

Apparently, they do hold some weight in Germany. Story I read in an old Road & Track (People & Places page) noted a driver that got a photo enforcement ticket accompanied by a photo of his car & plate and demanding a $200 fine to be paid.

He decided to be a joker and mailed back a PICTURE of $200.

The police, not without their own sense of humor, mailed the guy back, this time with a picture of a pair of handcuffs.

The driver promptly mailed in $200.

:)

Back