• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gran Turismo 5 FINALLY coming on November 2, 2010

And the only reason I care is because it was announced on NAGTROC
The collector's edition has a model GTR specV

gt5%20ceps3ss%20main%20image_800533a.jpg

800upper_35_view_gt5_cara.jpg

Sahweet. I wonder how much the Collector's Edition is going to be. B/t GT5 and COD: Black Ops, this winter is going to be fun. :)

I may be out of the loop, but looking at most of the pics online, I notice something missing in this game. Seems like they have the gamut of cars, there's even a few pics of Lambo's here and there. But where is Porsche? I know they weren't in the previous versions, but RUF was. I would think Porsche would want their name added along to a game like this.

Any thoughts?? :confused:

From a previous interview, Yamauchi said they wanted but couldn't get the Porsche license for one reason or another. Sounds like RUF is once again going to be the closest we will get to any Porches in GT5.

RUFs are in the PSP version and supposedly all of the 800+ cars earned by playing the PSP version will carry over into GT5 on PS3.

I hear this is suppose to be in 3D with a new 3D television. Does Gt Prologue have 3D support? I've been dying to sample GT in 3D.

As far as I know, there is no plan to retrofit Prologue with 3D support. I would not be surprised if they release a 3D enabled demo of GT5 before it launches.

I forgot to give my first hand report from the show floor. I tried out GT5 twice in 3D, both times driving the ARTA NSX (the only NSX included in this demo). Given my propensity to play from within the cockpit view, my opinion seems a bit different than most in that I found the 3D effect almost too exaggerated. The steering wheel felt a bit too much in my face, but the dash to hood receded nicely behind it. There's nice separation from the hood and the road and the 3D does make it a bit easier to judge distance to other cars and cones, but I didn't feel it helped my ability to judge my speed.

That said, I made the *mistake* of driving courses I had never previously tried before, so I was going way too fast as I entered corners. Of course, I HAD to try the Top Gear Test Track...which is least aided by 3D given how far the geometric details (hangars, 747) are from the actual course. Two minutes wasn't even enough for me to finish one lap because I went off in the first turn. A few laps riding with The Stig would have helped. The other I tried was the new Rome Circuit. The 3D is much more effective when the roadside details are close...and I get the feeling I am able to drive a hair closer to the walls thanks to better depth perception.

Collision physics are much improved. Cars no longer feel so tethered to the ground. Watching cars get rear ended looks pretty dang believable, even without damage enabled. You can see the body lift off of the wheels or cars go completely airborne given the appropriate conditions. I glanced over my shoulder to see someone roll a couple of times. Complete rollovers weren't even possible in previous GT games.

I didn't drive the Toscana rally circuit, but it, despite lacking a bit in roadside details, looks fantastic. Endurance racing is going to be freakin' amazing in GT5 given the day-to-night cycles and the realistic headlights (the beams reflect off of roadside signs believably, adding greatly to the effect while helping you anticipate corners from a reasonable distance).

I was a bit concerned that the demo on the floor maxed out at 8 cars in some events, but the official site still claims races with up to 16 cars. I am seriously hoping they allow multi-class races, especially online. I was also surprised that the demo wasn't multiplayer...since it sounds like they've really fleshed out their online support (and it would be nice to see how much so given how weak Prologue's was implemented).

BTW, I also played Motorstorm: Apocalypse in 3D. The 3D effect felt totally over the top in that game because you are surrounded by destruction in that game...smoke, fire, chunks from collapsing buildings, pedestrians go flying right over your hood and into the camera to dramatic effect. I started giggling because it all seemed so silly. Perhaps a bit too much. And I'm a little on the fence how I feel about racing games where the entire course collapses or changes as you race...kinda hard to learn the best line or spot your apex when the course suddenly shifts in an unexpectedly different direction. Still, it could be fun.

Last edited:
Retailing for $99.99 SRP, the Collector's Edition includes a 1:43 scale collectible diecast car, a 300-page guide to cars and racing techniques, a GT-branded key chain, a voucher for five (5) DLC cars, and a numbered certificate of authenticity, all housed in stylish, premium packaging.

Collector's Edition Content Details:

• Gran Turismo® 5 game
  • Exclusive limited edition 1:43 scale diecast 2009 Nissan GT-R Spec V with custom Gran Turismo livery designed by Polyphony Digital, produced by well-known collectible car maker Kyosho
  • In-depth 300-page car-lover’s guide written by the experts at Polyphony Digital, covering everything from the history of the modern automobile to driving techniques and game reference material
  • Custom etched Gran Turismo key chain
  • Voucher for five (5) exclusive high-end cars with custom Gran Turismo livery and performance upgrades
  • Numbered certificate of authenticity
  • Custom collector’s packaging

I dont understand the voucher thing. How does that work?

And are they promoting the packaging of the box as part of the deal?

The PS3 games I have owned that came with vouchers are basically just promotional codes you enter in the PlayStation Network Store. As with most game related download items in the store, you can download the content from your account on up to 5 PS3s...and you only need to enter the code once. Each code is unique, so you can't simply tell the code to someone else...and, once it has been used with your PSN account, no other account can use it.

My guess is that you are actually only downloading an unlock key for the particular cars (which will probably will ship with the game). The file will be tiny and download almost instantly.

I just pre-ordered the collectors edition! :biggrin:

gtplanet.net says the over 800 standard cars don't have cockpit view and a real damage model?

I've been following the whole "Standard" vs "Premium" model thing for awhile and there's still a large debate over exactly what will be and won't be in the "Standard" models.

The 800+ "Standard" models appear to be enhanced versions of those appearing in GT4's Photo Mode, up-rezzed and with GT5-quality shaders and textures. The do not have fully modeled interiors, but they supposedly do have a cockpit view. The question as to exactly what the cockpit will look like is the heart of the debate...largely centered upon the belief that they may be blacked out as was the case in GT PSP. Interviews have suggested that there will be modeled cockpits, just not as accurate as in the "Premium" models...which go much further to accurately model every aspect of the interior, not just the cockpit. The "Standard" models also do not show damage as accurately as "Premium" models (i.e. no tearing off or deformed panels), but the "Standard" models will show scratched paint, accumulated dirt, etc. The physical damage model can affect the performance and handling of all cars when enabled.

ARTA NSX featured in the replay segment of the following video:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5jqsyYhE1Qs&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5jqsyYhE1Qs&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I've been following the whole "Standard" vs "Premium" model thing for awhile and there's still a large debate over exactly what will be and won't be in the "Standard" models.

The 800+ "Standard" models appear to be enhanced versions of those appearing in GT4's Photo Mode, up-rezzed and with GT5-quality shaders and textures. The do not have fully modeled interiors, but they supposedly do have a cockpit view. The question as to exactly what the cockpit will look like is the heart of the debate...largely centered upon the belief that they may be blacked out as was the case in GT PSP. Interviews have suggested that there will be modeled cockpits, just not as accurate as in the "Premium" models...which go much further to accurately model every aspect of the interior, not just the cockpit. The "Standard" models also do not show damage as accurately as "Premium" models (i.e. no tearing off or deformed panels), but the "Standard" models will show scratched paint, accumulated dirt, etc. The physical damage model can affect the performance and handling of all cars when enabled.
/snip

Hmm ok, thanks for that info. Guess we'll have to wait till we can actually play the game to be sure. ;)

Yeah, the proof will come when the game is out. I mean, they must include at least some form of cockpit view for all cars given the whole head-tracking PlayStation Eye feature they've added, but Polyphony has done some strange things in the past that I wouldn't have believed (like dropping online from GT4).

And now there are renewed rumors about weather and a track editor.

Here's the "Standard" car video they posted last week:

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z8v7hjaSr6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z8v7hjaSr6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

BTW, was F1 2010 playable at E3? I didn't even see it there.

Is there an "official" list of cars for GT5? I've seen a few lists, but I couldn't verify that they were legit.

No official list as of yet, but you can start by using lists of the cars in GT PSP, GT HD, and GT5: Prologue (which should already bring the total to around 900). Obviously, there are quite a few more than that given what has been shown in the trailers...and that the total will be greater than 1,000

For those of you that played the game at E3, how did the cars drive? I haven't seen any game play videos for some odd reason. I grew up playing Gran Turismo 1-4 and then I bought forza 2 the day it came out and never looked back at GT. This was because the cars just felt like they drove the way they should and responded how they should. I hope they improved the ways cars drive this time, can anyone comment?

No official list as of yet, but you can start by using lists of the cars in GT PSP, GT HD, and GT5: Prologue (which should already bring the total to around 900). Obviously, there are quite a few more than that given what has been shown in the trailers...and that the total will be greater than 1,000
Any pointers to those lists? :D I haven't done the GT series since early GT3 days. :wink: I'm trying to find a reason to go back. :tongue:

Cool how the Mercedes SLR flips the rear spoiler up when the brake lights come on. :biggrin:

Can't wait, at least I will have something do during the winter. :)

Gran Turismo 5 FINALLY coming on November 2, 2010 (UPDATED! November 3rd in Europe)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tHx-eDMEz2Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tHx-eDMEz2Q?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

NEW DETAILS - the return of B-Spec and photo mode, the introduction of racing go karts, announcing the all new track editor! (Click anywhere on the pictures for the full details)

Last edited:
Back