• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gran Turismo 5 FINALLY coming on November 2, 2010

crap! I dont want them fixed. They match exactly to what I have on my 91 now. Does this mean I'm going to lose them in my next update?

D'oh! Yes, the lights on my '91 NSX reverted to the proper ones this morning...guess there's no pleasing everyone. :)

BTW, I did sign up for GT Academy and the Round 1 went live with the 1.05 update. Unfortunately I'm headed out of town and won't get to start playing until the final few weeks of this round!

Last edited:
D'oh! Yes, the lights on my '91 NSX reverted to the proper ones this morning...guess there's no pleasing everyone. :)

BTW, I did sign up for GT Academy and the Round 1 went live with the 1.05 update. Unfortunately I'm headed out of town and won't get to start playing until the final few weeks of this round!

What else is included in this update? Is it a forced update or can it be skipped?

What else is included in this update? Is it a forced update or can it be skipped?

Forced I believe. Certainly wouldn't be able to access any of the game's online features otherwise.

Did they finally fix the stupid "can't save game to memory device" restriction?

Yes!

As for the update, among other things, GT Academy went live (I found this list on GTPlanet):
  • Seasonal Events: [Seasonal Events] have been added to the [GT Mode] – [GT Life] screen. From here you can participate in official online events from the Polyphony Digital team. In these events, all participants are under the same regulations, and if you complete the event you will win rewards and experience. Compete on the leader boards with players around the world, in Time Trials and Drift Trials!
  • Online Collector’s Dealership: An [Online Collector's Dealership] has been added to the left and centre of the [GT Mode]-[GT Life] screen. In here you will find popular and rare cars. You might just come across that one car you’ve always been looking for, that you haven’t been able to find in the [Used Car Dealership].
  • Online Race Rewards and Experience: When you complete a race in the [Open Lobby] or [My Lounge], you will now gain rewards and experience points. Even if you are focused more on playing online, you’ll still be able to gain rewards and levels that you need to progress in [GT Life].
  • Driving Distance and Number of Wins in Online Races: The driving distance and the number of wins you achieve when you complete a race in [Open Lobby] or [My Lounge] will now affect your stats in [Profile] and the [Garage]. Here the results from your online play will cumulate within [GT Life].
  • Improved Rewards: The rewards for winning races in both A-Spec and B-Spec in [GT Mode]-[GT Life] have been increased for a limited time only. (This applies until the end of January 2011.) This is a great chance for those who were previously having difficulties getting ahead in the game, due to a lack of funds for tuning and purchasing required cars.
  • Race Information Display: It is now possible to set the [Race Info Display] in [Start]-[Quick Options]. (You can also set this in [Race Display] in [Options]).
  • Save Data Backup: You can now copy and restore your save data. For details, please refer to the in-game [Manual].
  • User BGM (Menu): From [Options]-[Hardware]-[Audio Settings], it is now possible to set the [User BGM] (Menu)]. (This can also be set from the [Music Library] within [GT Mode]).
  • Car Name Change: The official name of “Red Bull X1″ has been changed to the “Red Bull X2010″.
  • Integration with the Website: The main features within [GT Mode]-[Community] can now also be accessed through the “gran-turismo.com” official website.
  • [Important Note:] We have made improvements to the [Log] within [GT Mode]- [Community] section, in order to make its operation more stable. Please note that the information that was contained here from before the update has been reset.

MORE UPDATES:

• The license test menus have been streamlined. After winning a bronze or silver trophy, for example, you have the option to immediately restart the test without having to sit through the animation sequence.
  • GT Academy USA has now been listed in the new Seasonal Events
  • Mechanical damage has now been implemented in the game’s “Practice Mode” – the first time the feature has been usable outside of the custom online events.

Last edited:
Good. Now I can take my save game from work and get some hours in at home during the holiday break.

I'm glad I won't have to be tethered to one of my two PS3s.

WOW. This game is very involved. I don't know if I can keep track of half of whats going on. Great for those that have the time.

2 questions:

If your internet is down or you are somewhere with no access can you still play the game?

Is there an online forum (within GT5) where groups of racers can meet to set up races and share stats/info/wins....for example an NSX Prime private forum on GT5?

[*]Mechanical damage has now been implemented in the game’s “Practice Mode” – the first time the feature has been usable outside of the custom online events.

Does this have anything to do with this?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfot5r_gran-turismo-5-kevin-butler-commercial-gt5_videogames

If you stop the video at the 15 second mark it shows I think a WRX hitting the wall and the doors coming off. I haven't played in about a week, but have yet to see any damage close to what was shown. :confused:

Maybe this has been mentioned, but I noticed the main screen plays a jazzy "Jingle Bells" tonight on the 23rd/24th.

Yes I heard this too last night. Quite a nice addition to the game and a good background song for the festive time. I wonder what else is there. Btw when the competition requirement asked for sport medium tires why can't I change my tires to that compound even though I bought one already for that car? It still shows as comfort soft on the screen during the race.

You need to change the tires to the desired compound before the start of the race. It will be next to the tuning options. It's with the option where you can alter traction, ABS, drive line etc.

FYI. Amazon finally has some G27 wheel sets in stock. MSRP is still pricey at $300, but it beats the scalpers on E-Bay.

Kenny

Here's a great deal on the G27. Gamestop has the Logitech G27 Racing Wheel for PS2, PS3 or PC for preorder for $239.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: ACC20.

Logitech G27 at Gamestop

won't work for me, thanks though
The coupon entered will not provide a discount based on the current contents of your shopping cart. You may continue checkout without a discount or read the coupon description below and make the appropriate changes to your shopping cart or shipping method selected. Coupon description :
Coupon:ACC20 - 20% Off New Accessories. Online only while supplies last. Not valid with other offers. Excludes Move, Kinect, Hard Drives and High-End Electronics. Expires 1/2/2011.

Just picked up the T500 RS earlier this week, definitely worth getting if you like GT5.

2el6yj5.jpg

33oi6uo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAvTYsmt42s

I finally got my Driving Force GT wheel. Just started using it but I cant seem to get used to it. Does it take some time getting used to? Sometimes the wheel seems to have a mind of its own. Like when going down straights it wants to turn left and right.

It seemed to be just plug and play with no calibration necessary. Correct?

I don't have my wheel hooked up yet. But, from what I've read, you'll want to reduce the feedback and most are using it in simulation mode. I think these changes are all made in GT5 itself with the controller options. You can see if this helps or wait for others already using wheels to chime in.

GTPlanet.net is a great resource.

Kenny

My wife LOVES the music on the game. Especially the lounge and jazz music. Is there a soundtrack for GT5 with ALL the music?

All i could find is this
http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1293295772&sr=1-1

I like the visuals of GT5 and i have all the previous copies, but im can seem to pry my hands away from NFS-hot pursuit:biggrin: Maybe i need a wheel to appreciate it more.

I don't know about a CD soundtrack, but you can play all the music in the game by going to the sound options/BGM (background music) off the main menu screen. If you really wanted to, I'm sure you could record it directly to a computer.

I finally got my Driving Force GT wheel. Just started using it but I cant seem to get used to it. Does it take some time getting used to? Sometimes the wheel seems to have a mind of its own. Like when going down straights it wants to turn left and right.

It seemed to be just plug and play with no calibration necessary. Correct?

Try disabling mechanic damage :) after you hit a wall, the wheel goes nuts with mechanical damage turned on...

I don't have my wheel hooked up yet. But, from what I've read, you'll want to reduce the feedback and most are using it in simulation mode. I think these changes are all made in GT5 itself with the controller options. You can see if this helps or wait for others already using wheels to chime in.

GTPlanet.net is a great resource.

Kenny

Try disabling mechanic damage :) after you hit a wall, the wheel goes nuts with mechanical damage turned on...

Thanks for the tips.

Where can these changes be made? I looked around but cant seem to find where I can make such changes. I thought I could make them right before the race starts but I guess not.

There's an option box along the bottom when you first power on the game (you can also get to this option box from the lower left of the GT Life screen). This presents all of the options for the game...scroll down to the wheels. There are some settings that apply to wheel controllers in general, and some specific to the model you have.

I've been running my wheel in "Simulation" since I first got one for GT4, but I like the default level of force feedback for the Driving Force Pro and Driving Force GT. It gives you a good sense of when the car is losing traction.

Before races, you can disable driving assists (the only assist I leave on is ABS at level 1). I just wish there was an easy way to set the defaults for the driving assists, because I'm always having to turn off TCS (which defaults to level 5). Fortunately, the Driving Force GT has a dial for adjusting TCS during a race. The game remembers what setting you last used for cars in your garage, but not for new cars you acquire or when encountering new license tests or special challenges.

Back