• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Great Book: THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN

Loveland, CO and Trabuco Canyon, California
artofracingintherain.jpg

THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN

A novel by GARTH STEIN

Amazon link to book. I bought it at Costco for $8.99.

Video related to book.

I loved this book and thought other car types, who like dogs, would enjoy it too. I highly recommend it.

Here are a few of the reviews...

From Peter Egan, Road & Track~
"The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein had me riveted to its pages until the book was finished... Just read it."

From Nika Rolczewski, Toronto Star~
"The Art of Racing in the Rain is not an instructional manual. It is a fictional novel that pulls at your emotions. Love, devotion, death, and betrayal--life's highs and lows, all paralleled with the sport of automobile racing and narrated by a dog named Enzo."

and from Wally Lamb~
"I savored Garth Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain for many reasons: a dog who speaks, the thrill of competitive racing, a heart-tugging storyline, and-best of all- the fact that it is a meditation on humility and hope in the face of despair. Since finishing this engagingly unique novel, I've found myself staring at my own dog, thinking Hmm, I wonder..."

Last edited:
Patty,

My GF loaned me the book ~ 4 months ago. I read about half the book, and put it down as it is too close to home for me from losing a spouse to a dog named Enzo, to living in Seattle.:frown:

What I read I enjoyed, and one of these days I'll finish it.

Miner

^:frown: I understand how that goes, seeing a movie or reading something that deals with fresh pain. Maybe in a year or two, you'll feel like finishing it. The ending is really good.

My wife and I like the book so much that we went to the book signing at Barnes & Nobles. Never done that before.

^And? Any comments about it? When did you do that and where? I liked it enough to do that, as well, and it would be the first time for me too, if I did it. I imagine you went when it was new and out in hardcover, last year or in 2008? I just found the book this week at Costco, in paper back. First I'd seen it or heard of it.

^And? Any comments about it? When did you do that and where? I liked it enough to do that, as well, and it would be the first time for me too, if I did it. I imagine you went when it was new and out in hardcover, last year or in 2008? I just found the book this week at Costco, in paper back. First I'd seen it or heard of it.

The book signing was in Borders (not Barnes and Noble as I mentioned in
my previous post) in Santana Row, San Jose, CA, around mid August, 2009.
The paperback was already release at the time. I actually missed
most of the book signing, as my daughter was running all over the place.
My wife really enjoyed it. Garth Stein talked about his personal life (he
raced in Thunderhill, CA), obstacles in publishing the book,
his dog, something about Mongolia, how he started this book before
finishing the previous one, announced he was getting a movie deal...

A friend of mine just got done reading it and has loaned it to me and my wife. He said it is a must read. As for the movie, they have signed on Patrick Dempsey to play the main character. Interesting fit. He is an actor that races cars and has a family. Looking forward to reading the book when my wife is done.

^I've talked myself into reading it again. Reading comprehension isn't one of my strengths, especially since I read to fall asleep at night, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the book all over again. :smile:

Re: Unusual success

My wife and I loved the book as well. It's amazing how it was success on several levels; how poignant it is for both racers, non-racers and pet lovers alike.

"How difficult it must be to be a person." Enzo nails that. "To live every day as if it had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live." Who wouldn't? "Racing is about discipline and intelligence, not about who has the heavier foot. The one who drives smart will always win in the end."

An enjoyable 3-day read. Its been 4 days and I'm wanting to pick it up and read it again.....

"How difficult it must be to be a person." Enzo nails that. "To live every day as if it had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live." Who wouldn't? "Racing is about discipline and intelligence, not about who has the heavier foot. The one who drives smart will always win in the end."

An enjoyable 3-day read. Its been 4 days and I'm wanting to pick it up and read it again.....

^It was good wasn't it? :smile:

i picked this book up @ PDX/airport and read it on my flight home to SJC... ~ 1hr 45 mins. very good book - and you don't have to care about cars / racing to enjoy / benefit from reading it.

a similarly wonderful book is A Dog's Purpose.

thx for the original heads--up and endorsements... i never would have bought it had i not read what was written here.

I'm glad you liked the book, too, queenlives. I look forward to reading "A Dog's Purpose". I'll look for it at Costco.

artofracingintherain.jpg

^:confused: I don't know why this image isn't coming up in the first post, or why I can't edit the first post, but here's the cover of the book. I still see it for sale in Costco, if I dig through the paper backs.

You're welcome, Osiris_x11. If you read the book, please let us all know what you think of it. :)

I just finished the book few weeks ago. I cried twice. Best book I have read. I didn't want to pick up another book after because I know it is not going to be as good. Must read if you like cars.

I gave my sister a copy and she loved it too. She isn't into cars at all but she does like dogs and has three. :smile:

i picked this book up @ PDX/airport and read it on my flight home to SJC... ~ 1hr 45 mins. very good book - and you don't have to care about cars / racing to enjoy / benefit from reading it.

thx for the original heads--up and endorsements... i never would have bought it had i not read what was written here.

I bought A Dog's Purpose at Costco, this afternoon. Nice price. It was $20 on Amazon and $14 at Costco. :)

IMG_3415DogsPurpose.jpg

^^A Dog's Purpose is on my list to read too! I just couldn't find it here in Hong Kong. Even though I have heard good things about it, let us know when you are done.

Two really good books

Last edited:
Back