• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just read a great book

I just read, "The Art of Racing in the Rain". What a great book. Here are some reviews:

Synopses & Reviews
Publisher Comments:
Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.
Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life...as only a dog could tell it.

Review:
"If you've ever wondered what your dog is thinking, Stein's third novel offers an answer. Enzo is a lab terrier mix plucked from a farm outside Seattle to ride shotgun with race car driver Denny Swift as he pursues success on the track and off. Denny meets and marries Eve, has a daughter, Zo, and risks his savings and his life to make it on the professional racing circuit. Enzo, frustrated by his inability to speak and his lack of opposable thumbs, watches Denny's old racing videos, coins koanlike aphorisms that apply to both driving and life, and hopes for the day when his life as a dog will be over and he can be reborn a man. When Denny hits an extended rough patch, Enzo remains his most steadfast if silent supporter. Enzo is a reliable companion and a likable enough narrator, though the string of Denny's bad luck stories strains believability. Much like Denny, however, Stein is able to salvage some dignity from the over-the-top drama." Publishers Weekly (Copyright Reed Business Information, Inc.)

Review:
"Stein...creates a patient, wise, and doggish narrator that is more than just fluff and collar....hould appeal to fans of both dogs and car racing." Library Journal

Review:
"Pointedly inspirational." Kirkus Reviews
Synopsis:
Meet Enzo, the unforgettable canine narrator of this bittersweet and transformative story of family, love, loyalty, and hope. Enzo is a philosopher with a nearly human soul, and he's gained a wealth of knowledge from hours spent in front of the TV

Oops. Sorry.:redface:

the sad part is that I remember these old threads:tongue:

the sad part is that I remember these old threads:tongue:
good news: your 6 month memory seems to be holding up... depending on your age, that is something that will happen with less regularity as the years go by. (i remembered the thread, too :)

Back