• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Great News Concerning the Next NSX!

The wheels on that Mondial really help it out.

Forgeline 18'' SP3 custom made.

Thanks! I am proud of it! I always found it was a nice design but killed by its OEM dull/too conservative wheels.

Little by little I try to improve it.

Don't want to hijack* this thread but here are some more pictures:

*Back to this thread; Honda, as previously said: wake the f.... up and bring something on par with the new Ferrari 458 Italia ... We want a rear midengined exotic sportscar!

Attachments

• DSC_0108.jpg
    DSC_0108.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Ma Mondial Nov2009 11.jpg
    Ma Mondial Nov2009 11.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Ma Mondial Nov2009 3.jpg
    Ma Mondial Nov2009 3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Ma Mondial Nov2009 4.jpg
    Ma Mondial Nov2009 4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Ma Mondial Nov2009 1.jpg
    Ma Mondial Nov2009 1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 101
Latest Rumor

Date: December 07, 2009 15:05
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: Anonymous
Credibility Rating: 6

According to sources, Acura dealers are being told that going forward, Acura will be abandoning the "Tier 1" initiative. The new focus is said to be "Smart Luxury".
* The dealers have been told that the NSX replacement is no longer in a holding pattern - it's pretty much dead for good.

* The next RL will be a hybrid, and there is virtually zero chance of seeing a V8.

* Acura is developing a new V6 series as the J-series has reached its limits

* Acura is working on a smaller entry level vehicle that will slot in below the TSX, though the timetable is unknown (Editor's note: if it's been planned and approved, then it should join the lineup within 3 years)
* Acura is currently mum on any diesel plans​

TOV Commentary

Following the meetings I attended in October with Honda CEO Takanobu Ito and Executive Vice President Koichi Kondo, none of this information comes as a surprise. In fact, following our Tokyo Q&A session, the only conclusion that one could take from Ito-san's comments was that Acura's previously stated "Tier 1" initiatives were completely incompatible with his plans for Honda going forward, and that they would be changing. Now, with according to this source these changes are beginning to be communicated to the dealer body. It is my understanding that Acura is not planning a press conference for the Detroit Auto Show, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to formulate a message to present to the public.​

This actually might be good news. All it says is that the V-10 hypercar is dead. Acura may be working on a new sports model at a lower price point, perhaps using the new V6? (which I suspect is a variation on Ford's Ecoboost TDI engines)...

This actually might be good news. All it says is that the V-10 hypercar is dead. Acura may be working on a new sports model at a lower price point, perhaps using the new V6? (which I suspect is a variation on Ford's Ecoboost TDI engines)...

Do you think it will be using the infamous A vtec?? I seriously doubt anything sporty though as Ito is a bean counter not an enthusiast.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for going easy on gas and emissions but Ito seems like he'll only do a sportscar if it farts flowers.

I'm waiting to see if he kills the next generation Civic Si which I think he will.

Engineer goes to Ito.

"Ito sama we have completed new Civic Si"

Ito pulls his sword and chops off the engineers hand and says "As long as I Muten Ito live not one thing Honda will be sporty":rolleyes:

No, I think it will likely have a brand new form of continuously variable VTEC, E85 ready and turbo/twin-turbo applications for performance trims. They've squeezed every last drop of power out of the J-series and it's time for a new engine. Look for smaller displacement with bigger power. Also gone are the days of high winding N/A Hondas. If they go TDI, it will be 6000-6500 rpm tops.

Sadly, I think your Ito depiction is closer to reality than we suspect. :D

No, I think it will likely have a brand new form of continuously variable VTEC, E85 ready and turbo/twin-turbo applications for performance trims. They've squeezed every last drop of power out of the J-series and it's time for a new engine. Look for smaller displacement with bigger power. Also gone are the days of high winding N/A Hondas. If they go TDI, it will be 6000-6500 rpm tops.

Sadly, I think your Ito depiction is closer to reality than we suspect. :D

Pretty sure of it bro. Ito killed the ASC and green lighted the CRZ that has specs like these

"From what we can see, here are some of the specs:
Length: 4080 mm (160.6 in.)
Width: 1740 mm (68.5 in.)
Height: 1395 mm (54.9 in.)
Wheelbase: 2435 mm (95.9 in.)

Engine: 1.5L i-VTEC + IMA
Transmission: 6MT or CVT
Power (ICE): 114ps@6000RPM
Torque (ICE): 145 NM (107 lb-ft)@4800RPM
Power (IMA): 14ps@1500RPM
Torque (IMA): 78 NM (57 lb-ft)@1000RPM
0-100km/hr (0-62mph): 9.7 sec "

Yep folks 0-60 of 9.7 secs for Hondas sportiest model. Who knew when they were talking about Honda getting back to it's roots they meant their 0-60 times of the 70's :rolleyes:

Of course this really helps to explain his little tirade at the Tokyo auto salon. I'd be mad to if my arch rival decided to greenlight their hypercar and my company is rolling out basically an electric lawnmower.

I bet all the guys that b*tched about Fukui sure miss him now ..LOL I'm sure Fuqui would have sped up the cars development had he known.

Last edited:
One thing that strikes me odd is that isn't Ito one of the engineers who work on the NSX development... you would think one of the guy who was working on Honda's only real Halo car would be a little more passionate with that segment of the company... I guess not.

I think it has to do with sober business judgment more than anything. Look, I understand that Honda has shareholders and management's job is to make the company as profitable as possible. From a auto product standpoint, that means sports cars are out. They are expensive to produce compared to a vanilla people-mover and they only sell a comparative few. If you give control of your business to the accountants, then this is the first thing they will tell you. Honda did this.

The problem with letting the accountants run things is their perception of value is fairly narrow. While you might save every last penny and be operating more efficiently, all is not well. With cars, image and reputation is a critical component of the value of the business. Being proud of yourself for slashing inefficient product lines and saving every last penny might give you a gold star from management, but it doesn't make people want to buy your cars. Honda built its reputation on small, efficient and reliable cars that were fun to drive. These corporate moves might save $ in the short run, but they are doing untold damage to the marque's image. Essentially, Honda (and Ito) is telling its consumers that it doesn't want to make fun cars anymore and they should look somewhere else. Well, they will. :frown:

One thing that strikes me odd is that isn't Ito one of the engineers who work on the NSX development... you would think one of the guy who was working on Honda's only real Halo car would be a little more passionate with that segment of the company... I guess not.

These corporate moves might save $ in the short run, but they are doing untold damage to the marque's image. Essentially, Honda (and Ito) is telling its consumers that it doesn't want to make fun cars anymore and they should look somewhere else. Well, they will. :frown:

Yep ,but there is Toyota who was doing well but once they saw people thought of them as boring they turned around. How long will that take with Honda:frown:

Yep folks 0-60 of 9.7 secs for Hondas sportiest model. Who knew when they were talking about Honda getting back to it's roots they meant their 0-60 times of the 70's :rolleyes:.

Wow, a couple of more seconds and Honda's previous sportiest model is hitting the 1/4 mile.

Where the "F Ito" shirts when you need them?

Good point. I predict it will take 3-5 years for the impact to percolate up to the executive board level. :)

Yep ,but there is Toyota who was doing well but once they saw people thought of them as boring they turned around. How long will that take with Honda:frown:

Last edited:
I think it has to do with sober business judgment more than anything. Look, I understand that Honda has shareholders and management's job is to make the company as profitable as possible. From a auto product standpoint, that means sports cars are out. They are expensive to produce compared to a vanilla people-mover and they only sell a comparative few. If you give control of your business to the accountants, then this is the first thing they will tell you. Honda did this.

The problem with letting the accountants run things is their perception of value is fairly narrow. While you might save every last penny and be operating more efficiently, all is not well. With cars, image and reputation is a critical component of the value of the business. Being proud of yourself for slashing inefficient product lines and saving every last penny might give you a gold star from management, but it doesn't make people want to buy your cars. Honda built its reputation on small, efficient and reliable cars that were fun to drive. These corporate moves might save $ in the short run, but they are doing untold damage to the marque's image. Essentially, Honda (and Ito) is telling its consumers that it doesn't want to make fun cars anymore and they should look somewhere else. Well, they will. :frown:

Well said.... i 100% agree. Toyota became vanilla after they killed the supra in 98 and they still pretty much are vanilla, but at least their luxury line Lexus still offers some serious performance models. Think LF-A and the much more attainable IS-F. That new CRZ looks the part but its slow as death and they have the nerve to offer a 6 speed manual and call it "sporty" :rolleyes:

Well said.... i 100% agree. Toyota became vanilla after they killed the supra in 98 and they still pretty much are vanilla, but at least their luxury line Lexus still offers some serious performance models.

Agreed, the Japanese sports cars of the late 90s are dearly missed.

The difference is that the Toyota CEO has actually stepped up and said "we have failed out customers and we must to better".

It's really sad to think that the S2000 (almost ten years ago) was the last sports car either one of these companies has developed. They've basically thrown in the towel and decided to let Nissan/Mazda/Hyundai fight it out over the 2 door import sports car market.

Back