• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Grinding going into 5th gear - Solved!

For the past few months, I've noticed that the transmission grinds a little when shifting into 5th speed at 60mph or above unless I let the revs drop a bit between shifting out of 4th and into 5th. I spoke to a friend who experienced the same problem, and he told me that it was simply a matter of the gears/synchros wearing over time and that there was no way to fix it. I tried changing transmission fluid, but there was no significant difference.

However, a recent checkup made it clear that the seals on my clutch master cylinder were shot and I had to have it replaced (~$150 in parts + 190 labor). After replacing it, the clutch shifts as smoothly as it did originally. If you notice the same problem on your NSX, I suggest checking the clutch master cylinder.

Very interesting. I have the same problem... I just had my tranny rebuilt and soon after I was getting grinding going into 5th. The tech told me that there was plenty of material left on the 5th gear synchro and that is why it wasn't replaced in the rebuild - I believe him 100%. I've solved the problem by double clutching and moving into gear at just the right RPM, but I still sometimes get a slight grind when I'm a little off. If its just the seals on the clutch master cylinder that might explain the anomaly. Thanks for the info!

redshift said:
Very interesting. I have the same problem... I just had my tranny rebuilt and soon after I was getting grinding going into 5th. The tech told me that there was plenty of material left on the 5th gear synchro and that is why it wasn't replaced in the rebuild - I believe him 100%. I've solved the problem by double clutching and moving into gear at just the right RPM, but I still sometimes get a slight grind when I'm a little off. If its just the seals on the clutch master cylinder that might explain the anomaly. Thanks for the info!

would you be low on fluid if the clutch master cylinder is leaking?

Back