• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy - DDM 55w HID Kits - Dabears2k Performance

Hey guys thought I'd share my experience with the installation and early usage of the 6000k 55w DDM kit.

I was looking for a cool white temperature. Not blue. Definitely not BMW bluish / purplish. More like a cool Ice color. I had already replaced the front detail wedge bulbs years ago with cool temp white LEDs, and I wanted a close match.

I saw the photos posted on this thread re. the 6000k kits and was a bit hesitant. They looked too blue... almost greenish on the exposure. I went ahead with the purchase given the experiences on the Lotus list.

Installation took 1 1/2 hrs. Undid the headlamp cover with the 4 phillips screws, took off the stock dustcap, unscrewed the OEM clip, undid the PIAA Superwhites that I'd put in ages ago (not so Superwhite now!).

I too needed to reverse the plugs on my NSX install with this kit. I chose to reverse the kit's Ballast-to-Premium Wiring Harness connector so it fits tight but has no plastic clip securing it. I zip tied this well to the steel (gasp!) frame under the headlight cover to prevent it loosening up.

I slotted the medial/bottom facet of the dustcap with a 1/8" drillbit and the sawblade off my Victorinox jacknife, about 2/3 of the side total. Removed the rubber gasket before I did this part and remembered to thread it over the plugs/bulb of the new system. Popped the new bulb in. Couldn't easily cram the new wiring harness plug-to-white OEM power plug under the dustcap so just pulled the red & black wires out through the slot on the dustcap so the white OEM power connector lay outside the dustcap. Fit the other two black wires into the slot and dropped the rubber gasket in place, sealing the outer part of the slot I cut, and this left very little space on this side slot I cut that wasn't filled with wire or gasket, so little dust/moisture should get in. Screwed dustcap back on.

Agreed that lots more than the 4 zipties are needed. By 100 of the 8 or 10 inch (need to be long, 6 is a bit short) on ebay for < 5 bucks. I used about 8 per side to secure the ballast, igniter, and the larger connector I reversed. The rest of the wires I just tucked down below out of the way.

Fired up the car. The final result is VERY nice. Nice "high tech" cool white color, just what I wanted. Just the tiniest touch of icey color, not really a blue. Lane markers now light up like you're landing at JFK. Got out of the car in a dark parking lot to check glare -- these won't raise any police eyebrows. In fact I got behind one city cop and one sheriff on my midnight test drive with no problems. Drove the car for 30 minutes up and down Highway 5 and PCH, and nobody flashed. Awesome upgrade for my 17 year old NSX -- I'm putting it just behind the incredible-sounding B&B exhaust Randy Marchetti used to sell in terms of altering the NSX ownership experience. Wished I had done this ages ago.

Johnnymo
'92 Sebring Silver 162k

Last edited:
Those are large ballast kits...

ddmvsapex%20(Medium).jpg

They ones that Retro-solutions offer are the same size as the apexcone ballast at the top, which is harder to mount has a higher fail rate than these slim DDM kits.

The DDM kits have the lowest fail rate in the industry and are top-quality

These statements are not correct, by any means, and we would greatly appreciate it if the rumors and lies stop right here, thanks.
Retro-Solutions does not have a higher fail rate, the opposite would actually be true, which is why we publicly make available our failure rates instead of making blanket and false statements.
In fact Retro-Solutions, LLC does offer 55w slim kits by request not just the "big" type, however we do use the same $29 ebay special slim ballasts powder coated in black.

Last edited:
Hi guys, just wanted to help prime members save some money. These kits appear to be made by apexcone, retro-solutions as mentioned by scorp, sells these units as well as xenonexpert. Both of these vendors I believe are located in the same warehouse as Apexcone. If you do a search on google you'll find plenty of threads from bmw to mazda forums on these units, overall reviews have been good I believe.

The 55w kits have been on sale for a very long time now, priced at $160 shipped and for $25 extra you can get a lifetime warranty. When placing your order for the regular kits you actually may end up getting the DDM ones because the regular ballast are out of stock. Apexcone lately has been automatically upgrading the regular orders to the DDM slim version. I know this bit of info from emailing Olivier at xenonexpert. Hope he doesn't mind me saying this lol. And no, I have absolutely no affiliation with any of these vendors. Just trying to keep an eye out for prime members. Here is the link for the sale prices:

http://www.xenonexpert.com/apexcone_sale.html

We are in no way affiliated with xenonexpert or apexcone, nor do we share any space with them. In fact we are East coast based.

Matt;

One of my bulbs has failed [cloudy & no illumination]. I bought my unit during the group buy; how do I get a replacement bulb?

Matt,

Thanks for the rapid response and service!

Back