• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

GT-R Transmission!!!

Saw this on another forum.
It's from the owner's manual!!!:eek:
GTRmanuel.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

If it's even half as durable as the antiquated R34's transmission it shouldn't have any issues holding 600whp. There might be some bugs in the first few cars, but otherwise Nissan builds strong engines and transmissions.

If it's even half as durable as the antiquated R34's transmission it shouldn't have any issues holding 600whp. There might be some bugs in the first few cars, but otherwise Nissan builds strong engines and transmissions.

You forget that the r34 were good old reliable 6-speed transmissions. This is the first time nissan built a manu-auto for a high output monster. I guess they couldn't figure out how to make it bullet proof so they probably a ton of replacements ready on hand.

At least they're honest about it.

Transmission seems to be an area Nissan are concern about.
Attached is another part of the manual on the inspection and adjustment requirement of the transmission. Reason why it is necessary to get it from an authorized Nissan dealer as opposed to personal import/grey import.
Let the car mature before getting one.

Transmission.jpg

So many people on the GTR boards are in a mad rush to modify these cars and I honestly cannot figure out why. If you are going to sink thousands into modifications, why would you start with a perfectly tuned 11 second car with a warranty? A $75,000.00 one at that!

Mod list for my GTR:

-Window Tint
-Vanity Plate

So many people on the GTR boards are in a mad rush to modify these cars and I honestly cannot figure out why. If you are going to sink thousands into modifications, why would you start with a perfectly tuned 11 second car with a warranty? A $75,000.00 one at that!

Mod list for my GTR:

-Window Tint
-Vanity Plate

You sure Nissan doesn't say something about tinting your windows in their manual? They have warnings about everything else. I'm surprised they say not to tint your windows because it would ruin the window tracks, which in turn would void your warranty.

You forget that the r34 were good old reliable 6-speed transmissions. This is the first time nissan built a manu-auto for a high output monster. I guess they couldn't figure out how to make it bullet proof so they probably a ton of replacements ready on hand.

I'm not forgetting they were 6spds. I don't think Nissan would decide on this drive train "willy nilly" and then wonder if it's going to be comparable to their other sports cars in durability. My guess is they came up with the idea, did a feasibility study to see if it would live up to expectations, and it did. Not saying there won't be any issues what-so-ever, but I would be surprised if Nissan didn't follow their same engineering philosophies that have worked well for the last 20 years if not take them to a whole new level in this regard. The measly 300hp 300zx twin turbo of 1989 [overseas, 90 here] could handle 500whp consistently through the transmission, even the auto's could handle 400whp pretty well. If they can't do a little better in 20 years on their biggest global sports car project arguably in the firm's history, I'll be surprised.

Most new cars have some transmission issues... even S2k. The latest trasmissions are rock solid, but the first couple of years, they wore out quick, diffs borke with just a few drops etc...

Still, abuse is abuse. This isn't a 70s muscle car. 400 lb of torque is going to put a lot of wear and tear on transmissions.

My concern is whether the dealership and Nissan are going to try and play games by claiming you abused the car just because you're in your 20s or 30s white male. Maybe, if I should have my Mom buy it and take it in.. hmm... :)

Most new cars have some transmission issues... even S2k. The latest trasmissions are rock solid, but the first couple of years, they wore out quick, diffs borke with just a few drops etc...

Still, abuse is abuse. This isn't a 70s muscle car. 400 lb of torque is going to put a lot of wear and tear on transmissions.

My concern is whether the dealership and Nissan are going to try and play games by claiming you abused the car just because you're in your 20s or 30s white male. Maybe, if I should have my Mom buy it and take it in.. hmm... :)

It wouldn't do you any good. The driving logs in the cpu can't be erased and if they are guess what? You voided your warranty.:mad:

Mod list for my GTR:

-Window Tint
-Vanity Plate

Be careful, Nissan might cancell your factory warrantee for those kind of mods. It's making your car way too fast.:biggrin:

BTW, what kind of PR did Nissan received whey their PR car's transmission failed during BMI race...lol

Mod list for my GTR:

-Window Tint
-Vanity Plate

Throw in a spare tranny or two and you're all set.

Is it possible to build a strong enough transmission for the GT-R?
Imagine full racing slicks, a sticky drag stip, red-line, and you drop the clutch. SOMETHING is going to give.

Is it possible to build a strong enough transmission for the GT-R?
Imagine full racing slicks, a sticky drag stip, red-line, and you drop the clutch. SOMETHING is going to give.

Of course it is, it is just not possible to offer that with the MSRP of $70k.

^ that guys doesn't look too happy. You have any info on this picture? What's going on here?

Turning Traction Control off can void the warranty,
To operate launch control you need to turn off Traction Control,
The computer's 'black-box' records all of that information and more...

LC can and has broken the transmissions before and Nissan writes this into their warranty so they won't have to pay for an expensive component that can fail...

I still hold by my prediction that the problem I see with the GTR will be the launch control, not the HP. That transmission would hold up better with 600hp and NO Launch control than 500 w/ Launch control.

There is no way any street drivable transmission out there is durable enough to violently launch a 500hp 3900lb AWD car into the 11's and drive 14,000 miles a year.

on the other hand with 600 hp then I believe it would have more chances of surviving. Without launch control the wheels should spin to avoid transmission damage, and a more natural behavior would be necessary be able to safely launch the car into 11's. Unless its made of kryptonite or something it just is not going to happen.

We will see the real durability of Nissan's attempt to pull 11's on a 3900lb car with only 500hp very soon.

Plus whats the big deal? any 911TT with 10k worth of mods will shame a GTR anyway with 10x the amount of style. I'm not sure but wouldn't a 30k WRX/STI with 15k worth mods blow the doors off a GTR as well?

I dont get the GTR? Racing stock OEM cars is lame who cares what a car does stock if its already at its limit performance wise....they compare OEM 911TT's to GTR's difference is a the 911TT sold at maybe 60% of its potential. There are a couple friends of mine with low 11's capable track driven +/- 500rwhp 911TT's. WITHOUT launch control.

And yes I do have some experience with GTR. During the one lap I drove multiple times in Tony Swans, Car & Driver press car way back in march during the One Lap of America over a period of 10 days / 9000miles and 10 race tracks. that thing runs mid 12's without launch control. which is not all that impressive. Deceitful marketing and Nurburgring times just like the previous GTR will be proven sooner or later. plus warranty issues should be fun....$5000 brakes...:smile:

One more question.... Does anyone know how much and how many miles the 1st major service will be?

me in GTR a couple months before US release.
IMG_3137.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get why Nissan made such a powerful car and is just waiting to void your warranty.

I suspect lawsuits and eventually class action lawsuits. You can't put an option on the car that as soon as you disable it, legitimately, accidentally or not, you lose your warranty.

Back