• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Manual transmission fluid for a 91

I just purchased 3 bottles of Acura manual transmission fluid and was wondering if it's the same as the "white cap" fluid?
I'm located in Ontario Canada if that makes a difference.

20240412_193352.jpg20240412_193403.jpg

Acura and Honda MTF fluids in the US have the same PN 08798-9031 and both have white caps just different labels. The old Honda MTF was 08798-9016 I think but what you show doesnt look like either Im used to and that PN isnt right. Here 8798-9033 is a motor oil not MTF.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I google'd as well.
I already did the transmission fluid change but I haven't started or driven the car yet. I'm not to sure if I should drain the new fluid and try to find 08798-9031 or ??

I expect that the numbering difference is just a product packaging ID difference. Honda versus Acura on the label and a bilingual label for Canada. If you read the very fine print you will notice that the Acura package originates in the USA. It needs a different part number to reflect the different packaging requirements.

That said, last time I did my MTF change I got 9031C; but, I got it from a Honda dealership with a Honda label and a bilingual bottle. Go back to the Acura dealership and have them enter your VIN or vehicle details if it is a non Canadian VIN and the system should spit out the recommended lubricant. I expect that you are probably just fine.

It's 5w-20 oil and it is just fine. You are not going to do any damage...give it a spin and see if you like it.

Last edited:
Yes, report back on how it works for you. Maybe its better than the White Cap MTF. God knows everything else under the sun has been tried to help notchy shifting.

Honda/Acura MTF I (just called "MTF") is a 30W conventional oil with a Honda additive package.
Honda/Acura MTF II ("white cap") is an ATF-based <20W fluid with Honda friction modifiers. It pours like water.
Honda/Acura MTF III (Euro only) is a semi-synth 30W oil with a Honda additive package.

All are made by Idemitsu for Honda.

MTF I is long discontinued (20+ years) but maybe there is some new old stock out there. MTF II was developed because customers complained about notchy cold shifting in the newer models of Civic and Accord. Honda went to the MTF III in Europe for unknown reasons (maybe environmental regs?), but kept the MTF II in US/Canada. It's still the dealer stock here. From the looks of your bottle, that was Acura MTF I. Given how few MT Hondas/Acuras are out there these days, I wouldn't be surprised if dealers had some of the old stuff still on the shelf.

It's totally fine to use in your NSX. Both MTF I and II are certified by Honda for the 5-speed and 6-speed NSX transmissions. I don't know if Honda approved MTF III for the NSX in Europe, but maybe some of our Euro members can chime in. Even a 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil is ok too- all early NSXs left the factory with motor oil in the transmissions. As long as it's no thicker than 30W, it'll be ok for your trans.

I know you already drained it, but posting here for future members who may find this thread. :)

Back