• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Guage Needle Removal

Just wondering has anyone done this and whats the best method? I'm upgrading my speedo guage to a dual read out [MPH/KPH] so need to remove the needle to fit the new face as I've been speaking to a company that can make me an OEM style face in the proper polycarbonate material same as OEM [not a cr*p stiker] The can also make my display showing a top speed of 200mph!!

I would not recommend doing it as the people who have tried before have had issues. That does not mean you will not be successful but I would find a spare dash before I try and be prepared to replace the broken on just in case. Maybe a search from broken needle will turn up the threads....good luck

I just did the over lays that go over the needle

a fork and a napkin works.
sometimes the pin comes out with the needles too.

how to put it back and calibrate it?
something i can't do myself yet.

yeah same here i can only calibrate the speedometer right now. other than that you are SOL.

I've done it a bunch and usaully mess up one of the needles. My truck read 3/4 full on a full tank for two years because I didn't feel like taking it apart again. I'd say go for it if you really like what your're replacing it with, just be real carefull and try to figure out a way to line everything back up exactly as it was before. Sucks if the speedo is off when you're done but isn't it anyways when you add 18/19 combo wheels? Good Luck.

I've done it a bunch and usaully mess up one of the needles. My truck read 3/4 full on a full tank for two years because I didn't feel like taking it apart again. I'd say go for it if you really like what your're replacing it with, just be real carefull and try to figure out a way to line everything back up exactly as it was before. Sucks if the speedo is off when you're done but isn't it anyways when you add 18/19 combo wheels? Good Luck.

Very good advice! :smile:

evof575gtc I love the fork and napkin idea!

Really good stuff here. This is why this forum is so awesome.

I installed a white face guage kit on mine. Before really figuring out how to install it ... I tired to remove the needles. I decided to start with the Temp guage ... sure enough, stem broke and I had to buy a new guage. If I would have started with the Speedo ... it would have cost me alot more.

After really inspecting how to get the white face overlays on ... you do not have to mess with the needles. You simply slide the middle opening of the overlay down the needle and it falls into place.

I then used 3M double side tape on the edges to keep the overlay from bubbling etc. Looks great!

I would suggest not removing the needles. Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Back