• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Had a 94' RX-7 TT and looking at a used NSX, Vette, or Viper

I had a red/tan 94' RX-7 TT. It looked great and was often mistaken from everything from a NSX to a Vette to a Viper. Granted these were by people who couldn't tell a Camery from an Accord but it was always mistaken for a more expensive car. I sold it once I realized I'd have to replace 80% of what was under the hood, got about 12mpg using 92 octane and had very little torque. ABSOLUTELY NO TORQUE WITH THE A/C ON! I liked how quick it was but it felt more like a super bike than a sports car. Also the sound coming from the exhaust was more like a dust buster than a sports car. I don't want to make the same mistake again so I wanted people pros & Cons on the following cars in the following catagories:

Low end torque
Uniqueness
Reliability
high end performance
Engine/exhaust sound
fun factor.

The cars I've selected that will be in my price range are:

94-95 NSX, NSX-T (Red, white or black)
96-99 Viper (R/10 or GTS havent decided)
00'01 Corvette Convertible red/tan 6-speed.

My top choice is the NSX but I worry about the hp and torque of a car that's in the 40-45k range.

The Viper has just changed body styles and I'm not sure how that will affect the old car's pricing. I hear a lot of people hate the new viper and are hording the older ones. I also think that putting the roof on the R/10 looks to be a pain and I'm not sure how reliable the Viper is.

I hear the Vette is VERY reliable, easy to work on, easy to add more goodies for added Hp and can be worked on by any shade tree. The problem is that there are A LOT OF VETTES around (But not many red 6-speed convertibles w/tan interiors and top.)I'd also hate to be making payments as the new model is suppose to be here in just a year.

I know that when people see a NSX or a Viper they mention it whenever they get to where they were going ie: Hey! I saw a NSX/Viper on the freeway as I was coming over here."

All I know about performance is what my RX-7 has shown me so school me if you've had any combination of the cars I've mentioned.

Marvin,

Welcome to NSX Prime. You have great taste in cars. You seem to know a lot about what these cars are all about already from the information you gave. One bit of information you left out is whether or not this is going to be your daily driver. I will assume this will be your daily driver.

The Viper is not a good daily driver so I have read. It is the fastest out of your selection and in terms of your desire for a car with low-end torque...this is the one. I think the Viper has enough torque to snap ones head off if one is not careful. The Viper is also great looking. Very exotic and mean looking. However, go to viperclub.org and ask how many of those folks use their Vipers daily. I would estimate it to be less than ten percent. Vipers lack a dead pedal. Engine heat escapes in to the interior of the cabin which makes the car extremely hot. The latter point is exacerbated by the poor air conditioning of the Viper. The clutch pedal is stiff and heavy. There is no TCS. There is no ABS(for the years you are looking at). I would reccomend renting a Viper for a few days. See if you could live with it and drive it daily. It is surely one of the most awesome cars money can buy.

My roomate has a C5. It is simply great looking. It is a black coupe version with the low gears and chrome wheels. I love it. It is very fast with lots of torque. It is his only car and he loves it. The quality is also very good. Go to Corvetteforum.com for more information on the Corvette. I think the only negative I can think of for the Corvette is that it is much more common. They sell about one hundred times as many Corvettes a year as they do NSX's. Thus, they are not nearly as exclusive. Do not let the latter point color your opinion too mush as the Corvette is one of the greatest performance cars on this planet(as you know) and is extremely enjoyable to drive.

The NSX is the greatest car on this planet...in my opinion. I will describe it like this. If you had to associate a number rating in between one and ten for ten categories in describing a car...the NSX would have more points than all other cars. Said categories could be appearance, reliabilty, performance, quality, etc...

Of course, this is an NSX site and thus I am very biased. However, the NSX won an award from JD Power for quality and reliabilty after five years. Also, read as many articles about the NSX as you can. Most editors of the popular magazines have very nice things to say about the NSX despite the relatively low performance compared to some contemporary cars, like the Viper.

Anyway, welcome to the site. You will find that there are many helpful people here. Furthermore, the FAQ on the NSX is the most informative NSX related information piece you will find.

Originally posted by Marvin Lee:

Low end torqueViper
UniquenessNSX
ReliabilityNSX
high end performanceGet a Z06 or Mod a NSX
Engine/exhaust soundNSX w/aftermarket exhaust
fun factor.NSX

The cars I've selected that will be in my price range are:

94-95 NSX, NSX-T (Red, white or black)
96-99 Viper (R/10 or GTS havent decided)
00'01 Corvette Convertible red/tan 6-speed.

I assume this isn't a daily driver. Like yourself, I looked at the other cars you mentioned including a 993-996 Porsche. The Viper was nice, but it handled poorly IMO but its straight line power/speed was great. Hadn't heard people were hanging on to them however, and in the price range you noted you may find it hard for find a later model in the GTS and while the Viper did improve reliability in these years you really need to do your homework on them as they had issue w/maintenance. The C-5 is common as a Ford Taurus and I don't think the re-sale is that great, but a good bang for the buck if that what you like and they can be found for less $ than what you indicated. For me the NSX fit my needs. Low maint./uncommon looks. It does lack power in some regards but all around its a great value and it can be improved if you wish to do so.

[This message has been edited by Tom Larkins (edited 07 September 2002).]

Well, I have two of the cars you desire. A '95 NSX and a '99 Viper GTS. My NSX has around 53K miles and the Viper only 13K.
My favorite without question is the NSX. It is superior in every catagory other than raw HP and low end torque. The Viper seems to get more attention from others and the kids go nuts over it. The build quality just is not there though (it's a Dodge). The NSX is just an incredible piece of engineering.
If I could only have one it would be the NSX.

what is your desire?
Viper - I had one - definitely not a daily driver!!!
Reliability - all are about the same!
Speed / torque -hands down the Viper!
Comfort - C5 or the NSX!
Wow factor - the Viper!

Having had all these cars at one point - I now drive the NSX!!! I still may get a GTS Viper again, but at best will take it out only once a week due to comfort issues! The C5 just has absolutely zero "WOW!" factor.
Good luck!

Hi Marvin,

Others have pointed out useful information. I'll avoid duplicating their comments, other than to note that they are giving you good advice.

If I recall correctly, each of the three cars you have listed has had a summary article ("Used Car Classic") in Road & Track in the past few years, one of those things where they summarize models from 1991-1999 (or thereabouts) and talk about what is good, what is not so good, what to look for when shopping for new ones, etc. The summary for the NSX was quite complete and this leads me to believe the same about the other cars.

All of these cars have terrific performance and are a lot of fun. Each has its pluses and minuses. Many Corvette owners I know would dispute your claim about the reliability of the vette, though. Not that it is terrible; it has improved through the years. But it is not up to Acura/Honda levels.

I think you're paying too much attention to the prospects of the car's value going up or down in the next few years. Yes, new models are coming for each of these three cars... but you're looking for a car now, and you're looking at two models that are not late model cars, and one that is less expensive (new) than the other two. You are not likely to lose a huge amount of money on any of these cars... and besides, you're getting a car to enjoy its use, not as an investment. So don't worry about the market value going up or down when the new model comes out. Concentrate on what you will have to pay and what you get for the money.

Finally, I would suggest that you try to narrow down your search, in part by deciding whether or not you want an open top car. This is a critical decision as it is part of the whole personality of the car. Open top cars are great if you enjoy driving with the top down and live in a climate where you can do so often, but may not be ideal if it doesn't matter to you or if you are concerned with the structural rigidity of your ride.

Those looking for the NSX rarely decide that they want a '94-95 for this very reason. If you want a fixed-roof coupe, then look at the '94 (and you may wish to broaden your search to include the similar '91-93). If you want an NSX-T, then look at the '96 along with the '95. (There were a lot of improvements in '97 but that moves it out of your price range.)

Hope these comments are helpful. Good luck with your search.

Marvin,
I sold my 96 Viper RT/10 (white/blue stripe, 17K orig. miles when purchased) 5 months ago and just got back last week from picking up a black 92 NSX w/ 38,400 miles (drove her 12 hours home from IN). All the above points are good but I thought I'd throw in my 2¢. Simply put, you will never find a car that attracts as much attention w/ the general populace as a Viper, including but not limited to a Countach, F355, 996TT, etc. Kids, old folks, even animals love it. Corvettes don't even rank when it comes to this category simply because of their ubiquity, although I think they're nice cars but not my cup of tea. Driving the Viper is like driving a blimp down Main Street USA - it can't be missed. The NSX is like a stealth fighter, it seems to sneak up on people. Lots of attention once you stop to gas up though. This is a mixed blessing, I enjoyed letting people sit in the Viper, see the engine, etc. but it also attracted some fairly negative attention. I liked nothing more than getting out of town and heading to the N. Georgia Mountains for some solitude and quailty speed time. Viper also wins hands down in the hp/torque category for obvious reasons. Personally I enjoy feel of the NSX, it's a nice stream of power, like a good high pressure shower head v. the sometimes out-of-control firehose feel of the Viper. Sure, I could go for more HP, but who couldn't. The Viper was an absolute blast to drive and I have to respectfully disagree that it can't be a daily driver, you just have to work a lot harder at it. I bought mine and took it on a GA to CA to GA 6K mile "Vipercamp 2001" road trip and it was the most fun I've had in years. I also drove it to work quite a bit. (I put 18K miles on it in ten months, that says it all). You have to assess how much risk/reward comes from driving it daily. You exponentially increase your chances of a fender bender, vandalism, verbal abuse by insecure losers, etc. Oddly enough, I heard the same horror stories about the cockpit heat and poor AC. Not true, at least not in my case. Air was ice cold and the fact that the top and windows don't really fit dissipates plenty of heat. I've found in the last week that the black cockpit of my NSX gets much hotter in the GA heat since the doors and windows actually seal, although AC is also great in the NSX. Handling I'd have to go with the NSX simply because it's user friendly and confidence inspiring. The Viper makes you a little nervous (which is good in a way) and you're never quite sure when somethings going to cut loose. I got it up to 160 while in Utah and it was like riding in the space shuttle upon re-entry. Fun but a little scary too. Although I haven't made a high speed run in the NSX I took it on the Great Smoky Mountains Parkway in TN and was very happy with the handling. Exhaust note, hands down NSX. Steve McQueen and LeMans come to mind - Viper sounds like UPS truck. Over the long haul I'd say the NSX would probably be more reliable but I put more miles on my Viper in 10 months than had been put on it in the previous 6 years and it performed flawlessly. I'll wrap up this book I've started and put it as simply as I know how. When friends ask me if I like my NSX I say, without hesitation, "I love it". With the Viper it was always "she's beautiful, fast, wild, fun, whacked, unreal, etc." but I never said I loved it. You can have a heck of a lot of fun with a Viper and I wouldn't trader my ownership experience but you can live with and love an NSX without compromise. I'll no doubt buy an NSX-T in a year or two, I doubt I'll ever buy another Viper.

Thanks everyone for their advice and showing the newbie some love. (The RX-7 forum were very spitful, maybe because of how all the 3rd gens are either getting too old milage wise or blowing up) I live in Alabama so summer heat is a big issue here. I do like and can drive with the top down most of the year. I really wasn't concerned about the value of a car once the new model came out as much as the new model being something that might look better than the model that I'm paying on. Of late this does not seem to be the case ie: the C5's big but vs. the C4's. The viper is a toss up. I like the old and new for different reasons. The NSX seems like an evergreen classic like so many Ferrari's of yore. The reason I mentioned the 94-95 NSX/NSX-T is for the very reasons you mentioned. I'd like the 94' because it's the newest of the blackened roof fighter pilot designs and the 95 for the Targa ability. I really never thought of the 96' model because it wasn't really different from the 95 and most 95'& 96' models have the same amount of milage. I'd rather get a cheaper one between the two.

The NSX does seem to stand alone. Too expensive for the hot rod ricer crowd, not butch enough for the Viper crowd and not American-ish for the Vette crowd. It's a good looking odd ball loner...That's how I've been described when I'm on stage and I like that.

Originally posted by Marvin Lee:
That's how I've been described when I'm on stage and I like that.

May I ask what you do?

(I would wonder whether your names were reversed and you were the film actor, had he not passed away 15 years ago.)

I'm a comic. To be completely correct I'm a road comedian. (Comics tell jokes, Comedians write and perform funny material.)

I hate driving to all these different holes in the wall which is why I bought a 01'Hyundai Elentra as my road/work car. Great Little car but I do miss the sports car. On the other hand I'd hate to walk out of a club an see that someone has decided that they wanted my (Fill in sports car here) more than I did. No one wants to go to jail on grand theft auto and risk being the the play thing of a 300lb killer for stealing ...a Hyundai.

Interesting. Hope to catch your act (or someone performing your material) some time.

One of the places I'm most concerned about parking is at a bar or entertainment establishment where liquor is served. Not that the car is necessarily subject to theft there, but it just seems like people leaving may be... ummm... less capable of avoiding the parked cars when driving out of the parking lot if they have been drinking.

Or, get your NSX SPIT on like I did last weekend
eek.gif
mad.gif

As Tbone stated above regarding the "Vandalisim" issue...

I was leaving the parking lot of a nice bar in downtown San Diego. Got to my car (black of course) and I saw about 15 quarter sized luggi's on my car!!!

Somebody must have thought I was "Allen" or something
biggrin.gif

Thank God spit washes off and there were NO key scratches!

Too much attention is not good sometimes. A Viper would have gotten it too but I am not to sure about a Vette.

I guess thats a plus for the Vette
smile.gif

Marvin- I took the same road as you, a former RX7 TT owner, as you may find out later, we arent the only ones that have went with this..

I also considered a Viper (GTS Only) before the NSX....first off I dont think you can find one or at least a clean 96 or later for under 50k. The 96's I was looking at were right at 50, and even mid 50's for a lower mileage one. 15k miles on a Viper is suppose to be alot for those years...

If you decide to go Vette, at least shoot for a Z06..price range in the low 40's and bang for the buck...but just WAY TOO MANY out there, and not "orginal" anymore, even with the exterior differences.

The NSX will give you the best Overall package- fun to drive, youll fall in love with the screaming behind your ear revving, super looks even in stock form, and the uniqueness of the car itself...

I agree they dont have as much power as the above cars and can say for the Rx7 as well, since my Rx7 buddies can pull on me running NA when they have just opened up the exhaust and bumped boost up a few lbs...so dont expect too much in the straight line category, but still has more than what you need on a daily basis....

BTW- I couldnt be happier with the NSX and havent regret the purchase one bit..

Oh- one more thing...I would LOVE to have a Viper too, its a hard thing when you are between these two cars, I took the NSX since it was cheaper for me..but I still have my Viper posters up(together with the NSX ones), and love the striped ones.its awesome in person how wide the car is on the road...

Both cars have there own unique way of standing out..

hey, when youre through kansas city next let me know. i'll let you try out the nsx. ive got a blk/blk 91 with 20k miles---same as the 94 youre interested in. you can see what you think for yourself. another buddy of mine has a viper, maybe we could even arrange a comparison.

good luck. ps; this is not a joke

I just decided to use Marvin Lee instead of using anything comical because when you do comedy or any entertainment profession I find that I have to leave it at the door. It's impossible to be "ON" all the time. That's why when I'm around car guys I usually just talk about cars.

IF you guys ever go to a comedy show PLEASE dont come up to the comedian and try and tell 'em a joke. WE HATE THAT!

OR

If you ever meet a comediam please don't ask them to "Tell a joke." Comics hate that too. I've never told a joke on stage.

As the viper issue goes I've seen a few go for about 46k but I don't know their history.

Back