• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Has anyone installed 3-way component speakers (tweeter, mid, woofer)?

Has anyone installed 3-way component speakers in their NSX? I searched Prime and I couldn't find any info.

Has anyone installed 3-way component speakers in their NSX? I searched Prime and I couldn't find any info.

I'm in the process of doing this set up. Using Hertz High Energy 3-ways components.

Building a plate/panel to hold the mid and woofer behind the door panels and probably end up mounting the tweeters on the door panel right on top where the door ac vent is.

I'm using a Alpine IVA W910 as my head unit which is also installed in the NSX. Using an Alpine PDX.5 channels to push the components and a custom build box for the Alpine 8" Type R sub woofer for bass.

It can be done you just have to know what you are doing or have someone that know what they are doing. I never got the chance to do it yet but it will be done pretty soon :smile:

I'm sure it can be done, but why?
Get 2 way components, then add a subwoofer in the passenger foot-well to replace the Bose one.

I'm convinced that it's almost a waste to put expensive speakers in the NSX because:
1) The cabin is less than ideal for great sound. It's small, confined, the speaker positions are poor, etc..
2) There's just too much outside noise that comes in and distorts the sound (Signal to Noise ratio is very low).
3) The engine & exhaust noise is what you really should be listening too!! :smile:

Get 2 way components, then add a subwoofer in the passenger foot-well to replace the Bose one.

I'm convinced that it's almost a waste to put expensive speakers in the NSX because:
1) The cabin is less than ideal for great sound. It's small, confined, the speaker positions are poor, etc..
2) There's just too much outside noise that comes in and distorts the sound (Signal to Noise ratio is very low).
3) The engine & exhaust noise is what you really should be listening too!! :smile:

#3 is the best answer :biggrin:

Why not!?

I don't think its a waste. Just because the cabin is small doesn't mean you can't make it happen and make sound good if not AWESOME :smile:

Not everyone wants to just hear the engine and exhaust all the time. There's time they want to hear the engine and exhaust and there is time they just want to listen to their nice, clear music/system and there is even time they want to listen to the engine, exhaust and the sound all at once.

I guess what I'm trying to say is everyone is different in their own way :wink:

It can be done and I will do it because that's what i want :biggrin:

The fewer drivers you have the better. If you could have one that played the entire frequency spectrum, a point source, it would be ideal. When you put drivers at different positions, you introduce phase and time alignment problems and their sonic reflections off the cabin exaggerate the problems. More divers is not better. If done properly, it is only done to bring a driver well within its range, but then all the time alignment issues have to be compensated for. A car is far from an ideal place for doing this. The nsx has the woofer up front, very near the mains. There is less need for a mid-bass driver, and so the door woofer can also do midrange duty eliminating the need for a 3 way.

Just a response to the 3 way system (or 4 if you count sub)...

Although I am not doing this in the NSX, I currently have a 3 way set up in my TL, with an oversized 6.5" mid bass in front door (stock location) and a 5.25" & tweeter set up in kick panels....they are all older school MB Quart Q series (the good stuff) components, and are designed to work together , with two very good crossovers as opposed to just one. It used to be called "the Add a woofer" system, when you added in the mid bass.

Basically, it allows the 5.25" and tweeter, which are positioned directionally very good for imaging, to cross over at a higher Freq. than would be needed if matching to a larger subwoofer only. The 6.5" which is less important for direction due to the lower fq's it plays, takes a lot of the higher end bass notes, allowing the actual cross over point to be lower for the subwoofer. (I'm running two 12" R series in trunk)

I can't put into words how sweet and smooth this system sounds....the imaging is terrific and the "hitting" bass is also very forward , and of course the ultra low frequencies , are belended in very nice , even though they are from the trunk.

The key to this I beleive is that the entire 3 way system was designed to work this way with each other, so crossovers are optimized for perfect transition between the drivers.

OF note, the speaker placement in the NSX is actually quite good for imaging also. BUT, the interior of the TL vs. the NSX are night and day difference for road and wind noise, and of course engine, so as nice as it is for setting up in a sedan, it would be defeated in the NSX, at least while driving....but a novel convept for sure. I am curious to see the results of a 3 way system in the NSX for sure.

I don't have any pics of mine handy, but here is one from the net that gives you a rough idea..

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_16051_MB_Quart_QSC_164.aspx

I say if you want it do it.

I have a 3 way setup in my car and have been enjoying it for a few years now. I've heard other 2 way setups and for me it wasn't what I wanted. I retuned it this past weekend and wow, sounds even better!

If you want something that goes in and you never have to fiddle with then probably the 3 way is not for you (not unless you have someone else tuning it and you like how it sounds). I suggest listening to some systems locally (hopefully other nsx's have 2 way setups nearby) then decide what you want to do.

If you really insist on doing this, I recommend that you get a serious mid-bass driver in the door, and get a dome midrange and tweeter and mount them close together. In fact, one thing you can do is call NHT and tell them you need to buy the parts for model 3's. Two mid/tweets, and two crossovers if you are going passive.

NHT_NHT-Classic-Three-Special-Dark-Ea_300x300_s.jpg

You can probably mount the mid-tweet in the kickpanel area with a lot less room taken up than a standard driver.

You can also use something like this from hivi (TM1)

tm1a-ps1m.jpg

You need a STOUT woofer with a wide frequency response both high and low. Like this one:

Aurum Cantus:

296-410_l.jpg

Last edited:
In fact, one thing you can do is call NHT and tell them you need to buy the parts for model 3's. Two mid/tweets, and two crossovers if you are going passive.

Now there's an idea - buy replacement parts for my favorite home speakers and install them in my car! Brilliant!

Just be careful, the impedance is usually different so be sure to wire it correctly.

Believe it or not a lot of home drivers are around the 4 ohm range. Its the system that represents a nominal 8 including the X-over. Nominal impedance on the hivi above is 5 ohms. The woofers in the NHT are 4. There are a lot of woofers and subs that are 4.

The funny thing is that you can literally buy these random woofers, tweeters and mids, hook-up a JBl MS8 to it, and it will figure out the levels, the crossover frequencies, the phasing, and the time delays, AS THEY SIT in your car. It's quite a piece of gear.

But IMO all this is too much for the NSX. I like great audio but my main criteria is weight in this car. I weigh EVERY MOD.

In a car though with 3 ways and 4 ways (with a sub) you are creating so many sources of sound, there are drawbacks to this as I tried to point out above but no one wants to hear... LOL... you want a single source, especially in a poor acoustic environment. You want this:

mangerdriver.jpg

Manger bending wave driver. 200-35,000 hz from a point source. They are about $3000/set but I think they are selling full speakers only now and wont sell the driver alone. Doesn't need a backbox, is very shallow, it's awesome for a car. I'm surprised no one has tried to run them in some high end car stereo yet. It's too large for an nsx but you can cross over right to a good sub.

685b530d.jpg

Last edited:
Back