• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has anyone owned a 2000-02 Audi S4?

I am considering the purchase of a 2001 Audi S4 (with 50K) as a winter car and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this car. I am going to get the extended warranty if I do purchase it. Does it have lots of problems that will require me to have it in the shop all the time? Is there anything I should look out for? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

hhhmmm well in my team we have a 2001 audi S4 and it is a great car. No problems with it and he has 50k on it now. You can call this shop monday - friday 11 - 6 and ask for Andy he is the owner and he can tell you anything you need to know about the car.

Carrozzeria Design 949 861 8863 ask for Andy

If you would like to see pictures of his car go here http://twcompetition.com/gallery/andykuo

Wow. Your friend has a nice body kit on that S4 :cool:
Would you ask him what kind of wheel?
andy2.jpg

Don't Audi, VW and Porsche share the same mechanical problem? After all, they are one of the same. With all the car companies buying each other out- it's getting harder these days to know which is whice.

I had a 01 before the nsx.
it's a fun car on street, with an aftermarket computer chip and some suspension mod.
There aren't many problems with the car at 50k miles, the original k-03 turbos tend to blown on the 00 and early 01 cars more often (even with stock boost).
Also make sure the 2nd gear synchro works properly.
Interior might make rattleing noise which is very hard to track down. I've heard quite a few people's front seat might rock back and forth (very minor).
If you going to chip your car, or the car might already been chipped, better upgrade the Throttle body boot. They are easily torn apart under higher boost.
It's a good idea to get extended warrenty for the car.

Vizal said:
Don't Audi, VW and Porsche share the same mechanical problem? After all, they are one of the same. With all the car companies buying each other out- it's getting harder these days to know which is whice.

wtf? all the same? you are kidding right? please inform yourself...

brand recognition...

Klayton said:
wtf? all the same? you are kidding right? please inform yourself...

Chill meinen bruder!?! :eek:

He was asking, and he isn't totally off the mark. VW acquired Audi many years ago, and both seem to have homogenized over the years. And it wasn't too long ago that Porsche was assembling Mercedes E500's and helping out w/ other high-end performance models.

For Reference
:
VW... Audi, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Bentley, Skoda, others.
BMW... Rolls Royce, Mini
Daimler Benz... Mercedes Benz, Chrysler (Jeep, Dodge, Plymouth), Maybach, Smart

I should chill my brother? Mh. Besides I got no brother I dont know how to do that .. :)

Anyways jep you are right. For example the VW Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne share the same chassis. Guess hes right.

Was just a bit shocked hearing Porsche and VW are the same ... :)

Oh and I also didnt knew Porsche helped MB on ANY car .. well.. you never stop learning I guess.

Klayton said:
Was just a bit shocked hearing Porsche and VW are the same ...

I can see from your perspective the shock & horror of the association as well! I just wanted to offer that the person wasn't being ignorant, but slightly generalizing.

Even the whole Ford - Aston Martin union has me a bit nauseous... :frown:

You wanna know about shock? Imagine if GM's planned acquisition of FIAT occurred!?!
shock.gif

On topic... my cousin in Houston had a '00 S4, chipped. He said it was remarkably solid and fun. Much more reliable than his '99 XJ-R. From what I recall, he use to do alot of inter-state driving/commuting in it as well.
:cool:

Klayton: wtf? all the same? you are kidding right? please inform yourself...

No offense taken with the excitement Klayton and thank you Osiris_x11 for cooling him down. Stories of VW and Porsches sharing the same platform such as the Touareg and the Cayenne http://www.automotive.com/2005/43/porsche/cayenne/reviews/walkaround/]*Source*[/URL] would no doubt raise some eyebrows :smile:

These three: Porsche, Audi, and VW are also working together to develop the hybrid technology.

Back to the topic, I love the look of the S4 and the 6. My concern is the big risk when its out of warranty- being your using it as a winter car.

Vizal

Check out www.audiworld.com for a forum on B5 S4 which covers the years your mention.
I had a 2001.5 for awhile. It was not much of a joy in stop and go traffic with a manual 6-speed. Also, I was so afraid the turbos were going to blow and cause a $4k out of warranty repair bill. Decided to let it go.

I’ve had my ’00 since, ’00. No problems except a few noted above: tie rod ends and my dash display is starting to go out. Had water pump replaced under warranty. It’s a good winter car with proper tires (I use 17” Dunlop M2’s, M3’s now I guess) with Mille Miglia wheels, Tire Rack should hook you up there.

Winter traction is very good with proper tires but remember 4-wheel drive doesn’t help you slow down or make a decelerating turn. I almost wrecked my car on the first snow because acceleration was so good and got too confident with the traction.

Drawback: the car is too low to do much in deep snow, but I’ve never bee stuck.

It’s a good all around car with good fuel economy, performance and cargo room (I use mine like a truck). It’s wonderful for pulling out in traffic on wet days!

It has a nice torque curve that allows pretty good acceleration even in 6th gear.

HTH,

DanO

Had a 01 A6 2.7T which shared engine and transmission with the S4. Got a new tranny at 5K miles and 10K miles. Traded it after the second. So beware the 2nd gear synco issue noted above.

i have 2...both 01.5 s4 one with 150,000 and one with 60,000

NO problems at all and i beat the hell outta them both.
i finally replaced the turbos in the 150K car as i was bored, they are still good just wanted someing else....
dont beleive all the crap...its kinda like people saying the NSX is slow...i love the S4 awsome car i wish my NSX was built as well and was as fast

01blacks4 said:
i have 2...both 01.5 s4 one with 150,000 and one with 60,000

NO problems at all and i beat the hell outta them both.
i finally replaced the turbos in the 150K car as i was bored, they are still good just wanted someing else....
dont beleive all the crap...its kinda like people saying the NSX is slow...i love the S4 awsome car i wish my NSX was built as well and was as fast
What kind of mods have do you have done to your s4? I have researched this a little bit. I was looking at the giac or apr chip? Do you have a preferences? Did you do the ko4 turbo upgrade?Is the A.W.E. RSK04 2.7T K04 Turbo Upgrade System a good turbo upgrade? I would just like to say thanks for all the info.

hoops7k said:
What kind of mods have do you have done to your s4? I have researched this a little bit. I was looking at the giac or apr chip? Do you have a preferences? Did you do the ko4 turbo upgrade?Is the A.W.E. RSK04 2.7T K04 Turbo Upgrade System a good turbo upgrade? I would just like to say thanks for all the info.

On my car I had ABT/AMS chip and it already felt faster than a stock NA1 NSX on stright line. K04 kit is alot of money. I'm good friend of the owner of Achtuning.com, his B5 S4 is VERY FAST. But once you put that much mods in the car, you'll have to deal with issue like boost leak, which is pain in the butt IMO.
I'm not very familiar with all the different chip available for the car now. They all have different feature, boost and smoothness.
S4's weakness is its weight, and the brakes, I had stasis coilover on the car with 700/800 spring rate, while it handles great (compare to other coilovers) It was a bit too bumpy. For daily driving I like the H&R coilover the best.
I also had stoptech brakes.
There're alot of stuff you can do to make a S4 super fast, but then you'll have to deal with alot more minor problems that extended warrenty won't cover.
Audiworld is a good source for all the information. Try search function. It used to be a really good forum. But it has been changed.

Audi S4 pissed me off at the track :mad: They are slow as hell. Haven't had a chance driving with the heavily modified one, but those with chip implant is quite hard to catch up once they hit apex. :tongue:

I had a chance playing cat and mouse at my local track when my car still had stock suspension and street tires. The driver might be a little slower yet with a very big ego of not letting me by... I was literally angry and try to just ride on his bumper..... Not recommend on the track, and I just lost it that time :rolleyes:

Here's what I found out. like Polar said, the weight really panalized its turn-in and braking, so as a result, I'm forced to slow down way earlier and bring a probably 15-20mph slower speed into the corner... Once we hit apex, the Audi was just pulling away with its quattro and twin turbo low end power, while I was literally waiting the Vtec engage... I don't know if that's just the driver or the gearing of the S4, I seems to recover a lot from 80mph on... By the time I was in his mirror, we already passed the let by zone. oh well.

S4 is a pretty nice street car even with that Stasis coil over Polar had, it wasn't as harsh as a stock nsx. But then again, it's not a sport car. :tongue:
Very nice winter beater, indeed... :biggrin:

The one that I am looking at allready has the stoptech upgraded brakes and a cat back exhaust.I have searched audiworld and still do I just can't stand the format of their forums.It looks like something from 1995.Thanks again for all the info. :smile:

Back