• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has anyone used vinyl or plastic to cover amber front markers?

Seems like for us NA2 owners, there really isn't too many options if we wanted clear front blinkers. I still can't believe NO ONE makes a simple clear blinker, NOT EVEN ON EBAY! :mad:

Right now our options are:
1) Buy the clearcorners.com LED version for like $399
2) Replace entire front bumper with NSX-R piece

Neither of the above are to my linking so I was thinking either to get some body color matched white vinyl to wrap the amber blinkers. Has anyone does such a thing or would it look bad? I plan on removing the bulb and just not using it. This method has the added plus of being able to reverse the mod anytime with no damage.

Another idea was to trace a thin plastic piece for each amber blinker and having it painted at a body shop for a perfect cover. Of course I could just have them paint or smoke the amber blinker instead. Are these expensive to buy if needed?

thanks
rick

Seems like for us NA2 owners, there really isn't too many options if we wanted clear front blinkers. I still can't believe NO ONE makes a simple clear blinker, NOT EVEN ON EBAY!

This is a NA2 Car and it has clear lenses with amber bulbs which is stock, OEM.

de37_3.JPG

Did you mean 2002+ cars that are also NA2 and have a amber lens in the headlamp or did you mean the side markers on the fenders that are amber for all years and both engines, NA1 and NA2?

Member NSXSUPRA, covered his amber side-markers in white vinyl and has a 02+ front body but I am not sure if his car is NA2.

NA1 or NA2 wouldn't matter. Only the fact of it being 02+ headlights where the blinker is in the headlight housing. 91-01 exterior has the blinkers in the front bumper.

color matched white vinyl to wrap the amber blinkers.
I personally don't see why this would'nt work and look good.

potential...

Cool contact, I just sent them an inquiry on behalf of the community. I actually have a few extra-sets of OEM amber front side-markers, too.

From their web-site:

Klearz.com said:
At Klearz, we specialize in making clear and colored reproductions of virtually any vehicle lens. We can also produce housings or any other plastic parts.

If you have a particular lens that you would like reproduced in
another color or clear, email us and we will get back to you as soon as possible, usualy within the same day.

Anywayz...

For those who don't know, I have a few hundred DOT-approved clear-reflective lenses collecting dust in a storage-bin that I acquired a year or so ago ($$$). They are the exact size as the '91-'05 Acura NSX front-fender's amber side-marker lens ('91-'05 Honda NSX has different sized front-fender amber side-markers, located further back on the front-fender). However, there is one key distinction: the OEM amber side-marker lens have a bevel/groove around it's entire outer edge to accommodate the side-marker housing's rubber-gasket bezel.

I've been unable to source or produce a high-quality, well-fitting rubber-gasket bezel. I have dabbled & made a mediocre one, though. And adding a bevel/groove to the clear reflective lens that I already possess, so the OEM rubber-gasket bezel can be re-used, hasn't been possible via hand-held rotary or router tools. A dedicated/specialized beveling router would likely be needed, as the clear reflective lens develop spider-cracks by other means.

If there is anyone who can fabricate/source a rubber-gasket bezel for the clear-reflective lens that I already possess, we'd be set. . .

Last edited:
no dice, yet...

... the rubber can't be that hard to source!
Ha! Says he... :D

Trust me, much like everything else about the NSX, it's a P.I.T.A. If anyone can fabricate or provide aesthetically appealing, functional rubber-gasket bezels for the OEM front side-markers, I'll buy them all... ASAP!

Anywayz...

If anyone feels compelled to making their own rubber-gasket bezel or modifying the existing OEM one, I'll sell you a pair of clear-reflective lenses for below my cost (as they will eventually become target-practice for me).

Test-fitting/etc'...

{Note: I added self-adhesive aluminum to the inside of the otherwise orange side-marker housing & swapped the incandescent bulb for a high-output Super-LED}

Current setup (images courtesy of www.ottodetailing.com)...

Osiris_x11: That's some mighty impressive work there. I do have a question - did you "Cut" those holes in your pre 2002 bumper just to fit those clear corners?? :confused:

I'm talking about the OEM orange reflectors that come on 2002+ NSX's only and just want a drop in replacement. Well it seems no one has these at this point so I dropped by our local vinyl store last night and they had over 10 colors/shades of WHITE! :eek:

I took my bumper cover and going back there today to match up the white color and will attempt the decal wrap for now. I think it looks better body color anyways.

For the amber in the headlight, I may just buy another set of headlights and do the clear corner mod myself but still deciding on that....

For those who are not sure this is the AMBER lense I'm talking about, it's the one on the LEFT and RIGHT side of the front bumper as shown here:

noseclipview.jpg

Osiris_x11: That's some mighty impressive work there. I do have a question - did you "Cut" those holes in your pre 2002 bumper just to fit those clear corners?? :confused:

I'm talking about the OEM orange reflectors that come on 2002+ NSX's only and just want a drop in replacement. Well it seems no one has these at this point so I dropped by our local vinyl store last night and they had over 10 colors/shades of WHITE! :eek:

I took my bumper cover and going back there today to match up the white color and will attempt the decal wrap for now. I think it looks better body color anyways.

For the amber in the headlight, I may just buy another set of headlights and do the clear corner mod myself but still deciding on that....

For those who are not sure this is the AMBER lense I'm talking about, it's the one on the LEFT and RIGHT side of the front bumper as shown here:

When you said the lights were on the 'Bumper' is where you had me confused. The lights you are talking about are on the 'Fender'.

Jason has had these on for a while now..here's a pic.

sca0081.jpg

Last edited:
normal fit...

I got a timely reply back from www.klearz.com...

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:12:22 -0700
Subject: Clear lens conversion for '91-'05 Acura NSX needed...
To: [email protected]

Hi, hope all is well w/ your business.

I'm an active part of the Acura NSX community in the U.S. There are many of us who wish to convert our front amber side-markers into clear-lens side-markers. The housing for these side-markers is located on the front-fenders. The Acura NSX was available in the U.S. from '91-'05. The European/JDM version had different side-markers (smaller & located further back on the fenders).

Is this something you wish to under-take or provide? Basically, people would send in their OEM amber side-markers, you would remove the lens & replace it w/ a clear/white reflective lens. Also, you would have to coat/paint the inside of the side-marker housing, as it's an orange abs plastic.

I look fwd to your reply. Thank your for time & consideration.

- Osiris

RE: Clear lens conversion for '91-'05 Acura NSX needed...
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:34 PM
To: osiris_x11

Hi there,
Actually we are scalling back the business and not taking on any new projects, sorry.

Klearz
Tina

I'm talking about the OEM orange reflectors that come on 2002+ NSX's only and just want a drop in replacement.
All models of the NSX ('91-'05) that are non-JDM/European-market have the same front-fender amber side-markers.

As far as my methodology...

I simply pried off the amber lens and then affixed the DOT clear-reflector lens onto the side-marker housing using epoxy & silicon. I then made a rudimentary rubber-gasket bezel using a scalpal & some 3/16" thick flat rubber molding (Home Depot / Lowes). The home-made rubber-gasket bezel is functional in maintaining a proper seal in preventing moisture/debris from entering inside the fender & side-marker housing. However, it's good from afar - but far from good, in terms of overall aesthetics.

There was no cutting/modifying of the front-fender opening for the side-marker. The OEM amber side-markers have a slight elliptical shape to them, in terms of their outer perimeter; whereas the DOT clear-reflector lens that I have a my disposal are rectangular. Hence, the perception that the front-fenders may have been altered.

If I get motivated enough again, I may look into soliciting someone to fabricate OEM-like fitting rubber-gasket bezels. The only plausible issue would be, what to do w/ a few thousand of them! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Demigod: Did Jason paint the amber section and just use the OEM rubber gaskets to re-install?

thanks for the picture....!

After about 30 minutes to try using matching white vinyl I'm sad to report it looks "very cheap" as it shows the DOT raised letters under the vinyl.

Looks like I may just have to try painting a pair.

Anyone here knows what a pair of these replacement amber lenses cost at the dealer? Or is there a better online place to source a pair?

rick

re-ignition...

Anyone here knows what a pair of these replacement amber lenses cost at the dealer? Or is there a better online place to source a pair?
Each OEM front-fender amber side-marker lens & housing is $38.71 (discounted), $52.28 (list) @ www.magauto.com (free shipping & no sales-tax). However, being the NSX is discontinued, an OEM part/component not in the inventory can take a few days or a few months to arrive.

Also, you can acquire an used pair from ERZ (www.alltypeauto.com) & H&A Recycling (www.harecycling.com), as well as the forum's marketplace "parts for sale" sub-forum. . .

I have a few matters at hand that I'm dealing w/, so to speak. Once they have concluded, I may perhaps look into this front side-marker clear-reflector lens conversion project again or perhaps solicit someone who might be more skilled/creative than myself, as well as having access to or the ability to fabricate/customize certain components. Custom lighting/retro-fit vendors/companies are popping briskly as of late, I am thinking one of them might want to step up if the demand make it's worth their while. . .

Last edited:
I did something like this on a previous car. I had a sign shop make me a vinyl "symbol" (in this case we'd use the "A" symbol), stuck it on the center of the lens, painted around it, peeled off the vinyl, and when I turned on the parking lights only the symbol shape would light up. Very unique for sure. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else do this :)

I'll see if I can find a picture of what I'm talking about, and if someone wants to photoshop it please share your talents!

Forgot to add, for those of you who wish to paint the lenses, be sure to have them sanded smooth since the "DOT" lettering is really more noticeable once you put a decal or try to paint over it!

rk

They are vinyl overlays.

It must be the picture from a distance but when I used vinyl on mine, the color matches but the vinyl showed the "raised" DOT letters even more and really bugged me.

I ended up ordering a replacement set of OEM side markers and sanded down the DOT markings so it's a nice flat surface. Dropped them off at the body shop to be painted GPW so stay tune for the pics/results

rick

ok got the lenses back from the body shop and the color match was near perfect woohoo! :)

I bought a pair of spare front amber lenses so old oem ones can always go back on the car anytime.

BEFORE:
IMG_1144.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

Does the light show through? If so, can you get some pictures of it?

Good question but no I never intended on the light to shine through....(actually the bulb is removed and socket is sealed) Best part is the flasher does not flash any faster than OEM :)

I love the look, just gotta figure out how to get rid of the unsightly amber in the headlight now...*scratches head

Back