• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

headers - Comptech vs. NA2?

fastaussie

Suspended
i have a '96 manual NSX that i wanted to add a little more pep to. i have the new RDX injectors and a K&N filter. planning to add a set of headers and leave the muffler stock. i like the quiet and stock engine sound. and that's enough modification for me as i have some very powerful Italian motorbikes in the garage too.

will the Comptech header make any more horsepower than an NA2 header, or are they both about the same in terms of increase? pros and cons of either? both seem reasonably priced second-hand, $300 to $400. and i know the NA2 header needs adapters to attach to an NA1 muffler.

anybody got one of either to sell?

onboard my NSX in the mountains: http://youtu.be/Cvla7uiCWIw

Stock muffler is pretty restrictive, I would change it too. Comptech exhausts are by mild and quiet. I would do the CT header and and muffler.

I don't think i have seen used comptech headers for $300 to $400 that seems low, I have seen the NA2 headers for that much. I agree on the exhaust as well, try to do both. Maybe not at the same time, but make it a goal. Anyway if you are paying someone to do the install, I would spend the extra money and get a better header than the NA2. Just my $.02.

There are gains to be made from NA1 to NA2 even with NA2 headers and exhaust - about 15+/- rwhp.

However, gains from NA2 to Comptech header/exhaust on a NA2 is more questionable. The gains from Comptech (or any aftermarket header/exhaust) combo is more relevant when adding supercharger or turbo engines; and the numbers here tend to be about 18-20 +/- rwhp.

Now, if you have secured or will be securing a NA2 header, I would then definitely recommend a NA2 exhaust (and my 97+ is listed for sale on Prime) if you like the relative quiet features - (mine has a bit throatier tone). For about $600+/- you will gain about 15 rwhp. This is one of the cheapest $/hp ratio.

There are several versions of Comptech exhausts so make sure you ask what version you are getting in used since they do vary in sound. Comptech's newest version with the double canisters is louder than their V2 with the angled tips. [Earlier versions which occasionally show up for sale came with a 6" salami tips and were louder/geared for track.]

Hi,
I have a 1995 and I upgraded my stock 1995 exhaust manifolds, cats and exhaust to the OEM 2003 exhaust (header, cats & muffler) and the result was 14.6hp and 9ft-lbs. The seat of the pants gain was negliable, even though the power gain was seen across the entire RPM range.

You can read more about my findings here. (sorry all the pictures got taken down and I haven't been able to find them on my computer)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86686

Now, if you have secured or will be securing a NA2 header, I would then definitely recommend a NA2 exhaust (and my 97+ is listed for sale on Prime) if you like the relative quiet features - (mine has a bit throatier tone). For about $600+/- you will gain about 15 rwhp. This is one of the cheapest $/hp ratio.

]

i had heard there wasn't any real difference in the flow characteristics between an NA1 and NA2 muffler. the main difference was getting rid of the stock manifolds that came on the 3.0l engine. would you say there's any power to be freed up by switching to a NA2 muffler also?

i like the quietness of the stock muffler, so i'm not worried about making a couple of extra horsepower by switching it. the headers would be enough of a gain for me with the other aforementioned mods. i just want to let it breathe a bit better...

Hapa88 that was a pretty intense thread LOL

a few name calling and 10K bets LOL

do you think after all that it was worth it? I mean if you knew what you know now would you just go aftermarket?

Something else to consider: The NA2 headers have heat shields, and, will retain the overall refined OEM sound, whereas the Comptech headers will be louder. If you like the OEM sound you'll be happier with the NA2 headers. Also, I believe the O2 connectors will be closer to the original positions so you won't need extensions, but double check on that.

i had heard there wasn't any real difference in the flow characteristics between an NA1 and NA2 muffler. the main difference was getting rid of the stock manifolds that came on the 3.0l engine. would you say there's any power to be freed up by switching to a NA2 muffler also?

i like the quietness of the stock muffler, so i'm not worried about making a couple of extra horsepower by switching it. the headers would be enough of a gain for me with the other aforementioned mods. i just want to let it breathe a bit better...

Yes, header and mufller is the combo. My 98 exhaust breathes better than most - it has been well exercised but still in excellent condition:wink:

Something else to consider: The NA2 headers have heat shields, and, will retain the overall refined OEM sound, whereas the Comptech headers will be louder. If you like the OEM sound you'll be happier with the NA2 headers. Also, I believe the O2 connectors will be closer to the original positions so you won't need extensions, but double check on that.

A NA2 set of headers bolts right up to a 95 or 96 OEM exhaust w/o needing any adapters, no problem. You'll want to get O2 extensions or splice in your own. The front heat shield will need to be trimmed slightly so it will clear the A/C pump.

I keep wanting to do this mod.

can never find time though I have everything I need to do this

2004 headers, 2004 cats 2004 sway bar, 2004 muffler

I just would like to know is it worth it? will I feel the difference in my
92 3.0L 6-speed

I keep wanting to do this mod.

can never find time though I have everything I need to do this

2004 headers, 2004 cats 2004 sway bar, 2004 muffler

I just would like to know is it worth it? will I feel the difference in my
92 3.0L 6-speed
Yes, it's worth it..............so get to it!

Brian

Hapa88 that was a pretty intense thread LOL

a few name calling and 10K bets LOL

do you think after all that it was worth it? I mean if you knew what you know now would you just go aftermarket?

I was thinking of going aftermarket, but VanceHu lived a few minutes away and he gave me a pretty good deal for everything.. Headers, CATs and muffler...

Getting the newer CATs was a real good move on my part since the 1995s are now struggling to pass CA emissions. Since mine are now 2003 units with less miles, I pass with flying colors.. :biggrin:
Basically if I had the opportunity, I'd probably do it again. However if I lived in another state with less strict emissions, I might go aftermarket instead..

Just to reiterate what Turbo said earlier in this thread, the stock 02+ muffler is restrictive. I replaced my stock muffler on a fully stock 2002 with a moderate upgrade and gained 6 rwhp. Combined with a header upgrade on 3.0, it will be a nice bump.

Have gone thru this before... (almost 4 times now) I've swapped headers, cats, exhausts, in various different combinations. Unfortunately, I did this in my off hours so no dyno sheets are available.

Here's the order of how i'd do things if I was to do it all over again.

1. Replace the 91-96 cast manifold with long tube headers. DC, Top Speed, Comptech are fine but I went with the NA2s for a while. Unfortunately for this thread I went with the CT headers and CTSC at the same time so I can't provide a valid comparison here. The sound on the other hand is noticeably different between the the NA1 vs. NA2 vs. Long Tubes. I'm staying with the CT headers for the long term. The NA2 3 into one short tubes being the quietest.

2. Swap out those super restrictive OEM cats. The ID on those is something like 1.75". They are small.

3. Swap out to a lightweight exhaust that doesn't have a restrictive X-pipe incorporated into it.

The takeaway is... i'd replace everything from the heads back.

Last edited:
so x-pipes are restrictive?

news to me.
Not all but most i've seen on here are. Take a look at them closely. They have something like two 2.25" pipes going into a 2.5" pipe then going back out to two 2.25" pipe. If the calculated volume of the combined "x" pipe doesn't create a bottleneck then i'd put it on my car. Otherwise, no thanks.

Not all but most i've seen on here are. Take a look at them closely. They have something like two 2.25" pipes going into a 2.5" pipe then going back out to two 2.25" pipe. If the calculated volume of the combined "x" pipe doesn't create a bottleneck then i'd put it on my car. Otherwise, no thanks.

yea. its all about proper flow design. certainly choosing the right diameter of pipes.

i have 2.5 into a 3" y-pipe in and out to y-pipe 3" stmpo Messiah

I have NA2 headers and recently switched from a RM Racing (B&B) exhaust to OEM 1991 exhaust. The car pulls harder from 2000-5000 rpm with the stock exhaust. According to my exhaust dyno from B&B, however, I lost 5-10 hp up top. I can't tell the difference. I also think the difference in gain between a long tube header and the NA2 is within the statistical noise.

Getting the newer CATs was a real good move on my part since the 1995s are now struggling to pass CA emissions. Since mine are now 2003 units with less miles, I pass with flying colors.. :biggrin:

Interesting. I have CT headers on my 96, stock cats stock exhaust. Passing smog is a pain in the ass, my smog guy had to let it idle for like an hour to heat up so it would pass...

You're saying just buying some NA2 cats and swapping them in would make passing smog easier?

Or should I just get brand new Prospeed cats? Those pass CA smog, right?

Back