• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Heat Effects on T-top

Hi folks!

For those of you who drive (your car!) around topless, do you have a cooldown procedure? Given the hot days this summer, I've had the top off fairly often, and I find that when I get back home, the engine compartment is so hot I can barely handle the top. I tend to open the hatch and engine cover, and just leave it open in the garage. Will that degrade the struts over time?

I've also noticed some melted plastic on the edges of the storage compartment--anyone else observe this?

------------------
Steve
Formula Red '97-T

I've found if I put the top on immediately after I stop, it's cool enough to touch. Let it sit a few minutes and it gets very warm. Most of the time I just leave it off, since only drove it topless the last few months.

I did get some paint damage this spring, when I was taking it on/off regularly(not leaving it in the hot engine bay overnight). The damage is where a little half-inch tab meets the front edge of the top, in the center. The paint has yellowed under this tab. It can't be washed/rubbed off.

------------------
01' NSX-T Silverstone
02' Chevy Avalanche 1500
00' Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300
02' Honda VTX-1800
02' Aprilia Falco SL1000

I have the same little yellow burn mark. I also have an 01 silver. Do you think it is worth trying to get Acura to fix the problem somehow? The yellow spot looks pretty stupid...like a soaked in urine stain or something.

As for hot tops, I once burned my hands taking the top off of my 98 T. I had been driving for a few hours, got home, picked up the top, as it was burnign my hands, I tried to quickly decide whether I shoudl just drop it and deal with the damage, or burn my hands and continue putting it back on. My hands were burned for a few days. Now unless I haven't been driving for long, I will either wait to put the top up or use a towel.

Shortly after I got my yellow 01 (new) I began storing the top in its holder for weeks at a time. After one week, I noticed the yellow mark from the rubber bumper. Wax and mild cleaner would not take it out, but a little bit of fairly aggressive rubbing compound did. The dealer actually did it for me cause it was either that or they were going to order me a new roof panel. Since then I glued a small patch of cotton material (from a T-shirt) over the rubber bumper and have had no problems since. I keep my top off for weeks at a time.

Do you think I need to be worried about the heat? It does get hot in there.

[This message has been edited by mikec (edited 22 September 2002).]

I have not encountered those issues and yes I do open the engine compartment for cooling if I am coming back from a hot day drive.

But wait, we may have a solution for all those who have a T ..........

For about 3 years I have been searching, reseraching and even went into R&D regarding a soft top primarily to be used during parking, to avoid putting the hot hard top on and off, etc., .......... our product is very close to be released though we missed the summer months!

The actual product is ready but we are trying to enhance it such that it can be driven on the car up to 50 mph speeds to make it more versatile - where you can leave the hard top at home and not worry about the drive back. But it will not be intended as a replacement of the hard top.

Stay tuned, and if you want to make some inputs, go ahead ..... it's better to address them during development rather than afterwards
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Hrant (edited 22 September 2002).]

Originally posted by Hrant:
I have not encountered those issues and yes I do open the engine compartment for cooling if I am coming back from a hot day drive.

But wait, we may have a solution for all those who have a T ..........

For about 3 years I have been searching, reseraching and even went into R&D regarding a soft top primarily to be used during parking, to avoid putting the hot hard top on and off, etc., .......... our product is very close to be released though we missed the summer months!

The actual product is ready but we are trying to enhance it such that it can be driven on the car up to 50 mph speeds to make it more versatile - where you can leave the hard top at home and not worry about the drive back. But it will not be intended as a replacement of the hard top.

Stay tuned, and if you want to make some inputs, go ahead ..... it's better to address them during development rather than afterwards
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Hrant (edited 22 September 2002).]

I'm interested in one, Hrant. Let us know when the project is complete.

Thanks for the responses! Guess I'm not the only one with scorched hands...Hrant, sounds like a good product idea--keep us posted.

------------------
Steve
Formula Red '97-T

I hope you guys have given some thought to storing some light gloves in the car for this purpose.I use cotton work gloves.I have no discoloration issues on my storage bay.

Originally posted by WeakestLink:
I have the same little yellow burn mark. I also have an 01 silver. Do you think it is worth trying to get Acura to fix the problem somehow?

I'm not gonna bother getting it fixed. The only option I see is paint, and it isn't that bad. At least not yet. If I decide to keep the car after the lease is up, I'll probably make them fix it under warranty.

Haven't noticed any odd discoloration on my red roof...and never gave any thought to the potential negatives of replacing the top when hot (other than burning my hands). In other words, I too keep a pair of gloves in my trunk that I do use often.

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Back