• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hello all- my first post!

Hi there folks. I would like to introduce myself. Car guy from way back. Admired NSXs for 10 years or more. Been a Jeep guy for longer than that. My handle is due to owning a 93 Grand Cherokee with a factory 5 speed(very rare only made in 93) which I spent 3 years building. Still a Jeep guy but looking for a 3rd car. I have the wife's approval to go for it regarding an NSX. I want a driver but am pretty picky when it comes to paint and overall care the car has recieved. I am looking for a 91-92 or maybe a 95 if it was reasonable regarding price.

That being said, I have a question. Would you pay the premium to have a low mileage car (like 25K or less) or stick with a car in the 40-65K range? Since my intention is to drive it to work, my feeling is a low mileage car I would be too tempted to have it sit in the garage vs driving it. Am looking for reliability above all else. Opinions?

Also, looking for a car with wheels upgraded, mild suspension and headers/exhaust would be a plus. Really not looking for stock.

First welcome to the forum.

Second I think if you are planning of driving the car for work or what ever then I would just find a good example and not worry about the milage on the car as it is not important because its a Honda and there meant to be driven.
The $$$ you save on a higher milage car you can put towards mods that you want. For a 91-92 you can read the FAQ to find out what issues to look for as there are a few with the early model cars.

Hi there and thanks for the reply! Yep, I have been researching the issues to watch out for and luckily have the guys at first class automotive here in Orlando to take a look at a perspective car for me locally.

Are there any definitive publications anyone my suggest to do some more research on the car and the history?

Welcome to prime. When I sold my '91 NSX, it had over 160K on it and NOTHING ever went wrong with it. Just do the necessary maintenance and all's good. I had it for three years and put over 30K on the odometer (it was my daily driver). The only thing that failed was one window regulator.

These cars (as long as you mostly leave it stock) are bulletproof!

Spinner said:
Welcome to prime. When I sold my '91 NSX, it had over 160K on it and NOTHING ever went wrong with it. Just do the necessary maintenance and all's good. I had it for three years and put over 30K on the odometer (it was my daily driver). The only thing that failed was one window regulator.

These cars (as long as you mostly leave it stock) are bulletproof!

Jesus... imagine putting 160K on a Ferrari. You'd have had to rebuild the thing 5x over...

The best place to do research on the NSX is right here on Prime under the FAQ's and search button. You can find NSX's for sale here on Prime and Autotrader, where I found mine. Also, watch http://dreammotorsports.com/exotics.html the owner, Brian, is a member here on Prime and local in Orlando. Good Luck and any specific questions feel free to ask.

My advice to you is to look for NSXs based on your budget--not by year specifically; unless you are attracted to the Targa top option (95+) there is no real difference what year you buy before 97.

You seem to be concerned most with reliablity. Mileage can be a factor in this, but here's my advice:

Look for the most recent year NSX you can find that is still in the "average" NSX mileage range (5,000 miles/year) and has had ALL the scheduled maintenance completed and looks sharp and clean AND reaches the top of your budget. Don't be afraid to reach the top of your budget because you're spending the extra money to purchase a car with all the maintenance presumably done. IOW you can drive up to 30,000 miles worry and $$ free.

And "average" miles means for an NSX--not for a Honda. "Average" mileage NSX's are really below-average mileage Japanese cars from a certain point of view. Mileage isn't your enemy here.

I think the general feeling here on Prime is that an NSX buyer would be better off selecting a car that has been meticulously maintained and is a little more recent rather than an older, lower-mileage car (assuming the same price.)

If you're looking to spend X amount of money I'd get the best all-around car you can find meaning a blend of lower miles, age and condition.

I drove an 1987 Jeep Wrangler before I bought my NSX. Paid $700 for it and it only left me stranded 3 or 4 times. Keep saving and saving for a year and a half till I found what I wanted. Be patient and buy a nice one.

By the way, a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5 speed seems like a cool daily driver.

Guys thanks for the replys and advice. I think you helped me carve out a direction. It looks like patience is the key regarding finding the right vehicle.

I was gonna go out to california and look at one but I decided to wait instead and try my luck locally. A few months later I found the perfect one, a 92 with only 42,000 miles and I couldnt pass up the opportunity and it was the same price as the one in california. I saved money on plane tickets and I didnt have to look for a NSX mechanic out there which would've wasted alot of time because I don't know if my schedule and the mechanic would've work out. Patience is always the key and if you wait long enough you'll find the one your looking for.

Back