• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hello! New Canadian member here and looking for an NSX!

Hello fellow Canadian NSX owners!

I have recently joined the community after a few months of poking around here and there. Not until recently have I started to seriously consider purchasing an NSX. I currently have an 2003 Honda S2000 which I purchased a few years ago, but im now getting the itch to sell/trade her in for a car that I have always wanted. I love my S, but have had a desire to own an NSX for quite some time now.

I have been surfing through the AutoTrader website in the Ontario section and have seen a few pop up here and there. From what I have seen, and what my budget will allow, it looks like I can jump into a '91-'93 model. Im hoping to spend no more than 40K taxes in. I have also considered trading in my S to make things easier as some dealerships have them in their lots and would make the transaction smoother. From the get go I have wanted a white one, but quickly found that they are quite rare, and when they do come up they tend to sell for quite a bit more than say a similar one in black or Red.

Here is one that I found in Barrie, Ontario. It's a '92, it has 78,000km's and they are asking $50,000CDN firm from what the salesman told me. Looking to hear what you guys think? Is it reasonable or not? Here is a pic of the car.

2362007.jpg.fpx

In the meantime if you guys hear or see of any for sale, keeping in mind my budget etc. please shoot me a PM, it would be greatly appreciated.

what was done to the car ?? it looks like a body kit and rims - anything else ?? Is it a Cdn car ?? service history from day 1 ?? $50K sounds a little high but it's a rare car.

Just to give you an idea, I bought mine 3 years ago - 1991 red with 80K kms on it and I paid $42K - it was all stock - car was serviced at a local shop in Stoney Creek (not Acura Dealer) - I still bought it because it was very clean and drove beautifully.

Now the problem is when I was thinking of selling it (3 months ago) due to having 2 kids, some people thought asking $42K is rediculous because the same car can be aquired from the US for about $32-35K Cdn$ due to the exchange rate.

so my advise to you is that if you pay $40-50K for a cdn NSX, make sure you will keep the car because most people buying it will always compare yours with the US ones.

The exotic car market is different than anything else in automotive sales. Cars like the NSX are like art, in that they are worth what people are willing to pay.

Having said that, I paid more for mine than market 4 years ago, because of its patina, service and ownership history. For the extra money you need to see what you can't see. ie. The timing belt/water pump has been done recently, ie within 3 years or so. Clutch should be strong or have been replaced recently as well. These things add several thousand in unseen value to an NSX. A recent tune up is valuable to.

Check the clearcoat closely for flaking. If the brakes are original, they'll need to be replaced soon to. Look at the coolant tank - check for leaks, make sure the skid plate under the nose of the car is intact and not torn. Not the one on the bumber- the wide body removed that, I mean the one under the car. Ask about the window regulators, if they've been replaced at anytime, that adds maybe a grand to the value of the car, as they are known to break and once replaced with new ones good for the life of the car. Hatch struts and other things should be looked at to.

If all that is good, the car may just be worth $50k. If it doesn't have any of those things, then it's overpriced.

Hope you get it or one you love and come out to some events soon!

Cheers,
Sean

swbatte said:
The exotic car market is different than anything else in automotive sales. Cars like the NSX are like art, in that they are worth what people are willing to pay.

Having said that, I paid more for mine than market 4 years ago, because of its patina, service and ownership history. For the extra money you need to see what you can't see. ie. The timing belt/water pump has been done recently, ie within 3 years or so. Clutch should be strong or have been replaced recently as well. These things add several thousand in unseen value to an NSX. A recent tune up is valuable to.

Check the clearcoat closely for flaking. If the brakes are original, they'll need to be replaced soon to. Look at the coolant tank - check for leaks, make sure the skid plate under the nose of the car is intact and not torn. Not the one on the bumber- the wide body removed that, I mean the one under the car. Ask about the window regulators, if they've been replaced at anytime, that adds maybe a grand to the value of the car, as they are known to break and once replaced with new ones good for the life of the car. Hatch struts and other things should be looked at to.

If all that is good, the car may just be worth $50k. If it doesn't have any of those things, then it's overpriced.

Hope you get it or one you love and come out to some events soon!

Cheers,
Sean

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to take a closer look at the car and go through the list to ensure that it indeed will be worth it. Im not partial to white, although would be nice, I would consider black, and red also to make it easier.

Thanks again!

Buying a car in the USA and bringing it into Canada is also no big deal, there are threads about this if you do a search, you'll certainly save $$$, also, since you are buying into the fall/winter I wouldn't hurry if I were you, next month the prices get better as people realize they can't sell in November - March.

NSX7 said:
some people thought asking $42K is rediculous because the same car can be aquired from the US for about $32-35K Cdn$ due to the exchange rate.

Well I guess those people havent covered too much detail, $32k sounds good, but there are taxes that need to be added, here in BC at least.

I got my black '91 with just 9000km on it for $52k Cdn and after 18 months, people still like to ask if I would sell it for ..$45, 50k...NO WAY, I am not letting it go. The car currently has 23,000km on it. :smile:

D.NGUYEN said:
Just some insight, purchased the NSX this june , red, 3800km, 91 for $49500.

wow! even lower milage than when I got mine!

Just a comment on the window regulators. The driver side regulator was originally replaced in my car due to failure in 1994 and then I had to replace it again this past summer. The actual regulator assembly failed -- I had the window fixit-thingy already installed.

So they SHOULD last a long time, but I imagine that they can still fail after 10+ years of regularly rolling the window up and down.

i actually think that is overpriced for that year no matter what has been done to it
look closely at the condition but i dont see how it could be worth that much
main reason is it is at an acura dealership

i bought mine 3 and a half months ago its a 94 and had 63,000 on it with timing belt changed/ and all tune ups done along with a new set of tires
and the car cost $45,000

hey GPW03 i have a for sale posting on NSX for Sale section and I'm located in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario(6 hour drive north of Barrie near the MI border) It's a GPW and i will let it go for 44000$. check it out on the for sale section.
Let me know if your interested in pictures.
Email me at
[email protected]
Tom

tumbler said:
GPW03 - did you get it , as i don't see it listed on autotrader ?

No, didn't purchase it. They still have it though. I find it to be pricey for mileage and year. I don't mind getting a bone stock model, but they've got wheels, and a kit on it so hence the additional $$.

tcomegna said:
hey GPW03 i have a for sale posting on NSX for Sale section and I'm located in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario(6 hour drive north of Barrie near the MI border) It's a GPW and i will let it go for 44000$. check it out on the for sale section.
Let me know if your interested in pictures.
Email me at
[email protected]
Tom

E-mail sent :smile:

It's a great find! If our cars are going to be worth anything down the road, that one will be at the head of the pack! Beautiful.

BioBanker said:
Id check the FAQ for pricing and go from there....Its been there for a long time which works in your favour.

I contacted them via email and they tell me that they have no NSX's for sale? Weird? I sent him the link to their site, he has yet to reply?

The search continues....

Kind of digging up a old thread I just came across but my GPW is for sale. It's listed at a broker now but I still have ownership. Let me know if interested. The car is listed at www.trinityauto.ca or you can see it in the auto trader.

The red NSX @ Barrie Acura has been hit in the right side. And there is a white one @ Barrie Honda. I'm located in Barrie so if you need me top check anything out let me know.

The red NSX @ Barrie Acura has been hit in the right side. And there is a white one @ Barrie Honda. I'm located in Barrie so if you need me top check anything out let me know.

I was going to go see the red one. You just saved me a trip. :smile:

Barrie Honda does not list the white one on their web site. Is it still there? What year is it?

I'm friends with the owners of Leggat and I heard they have a Black NSX (likely at Brant) for sale - may be worth a look.

Back