• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help buying a new NSX

Dear NSXprimers,

I'm hoping some NSXers out ther could give me some pointers in buying a 2nd hand NSX. I am in HK now, but I noticed a huge following out in the US, hence how I found this site! Being from the UK, there are roughly less then 400-500 of these in the country and are rare there, so I could not find much info on them.

I've beening looking at a Porsche 911 C2 here, Convertible 1990 and really liked it. However I've FINALLY found an NSX 91 on sale.

Its Manual, no powersteering, so will this cause a problem? (i.e. Is the car heavy or is it better than the Power steering version).

Paint work is black, with a few minor scratches nothing serious. The front had a little paint looked chiped off but still covered in black!?! Didnt look too bad.

The engine looked very new or cleaned up and sounded fine. I've not driven it yet, but I'm seriously thinking about taking it for a test drive and buying it if all is well, rather than the common Porsche. Cause I've wanted one for ages!!!!!!

How long do the clutches last and is it a big job for a new one. Bare in mind being in HK, the parts would be easier to get (rather than an older Porsche). I need to check this during the drive. Usually the NSXs out here are AUTO, which sounds a waste (but still good I heard).

Are there any usual defects on an older NSX I should be looking for?

Should it come with a Spare type and pump and spanner kit?

I know a few things about cars as I use to tinker with them, but I've not own a car in a while since I'm in HK.

I would appreciate your feedback and many thanks.

Regards

Michael

Its Manual, no powersteering, so will this cause a problem? (i.e. Is the car heavy or is it better than the Power steering version).

I think it's better than the power steering version. The steering is not heavy, other than in parking maneuvers (and even there it's not all that bad). At normal driving speeds, it's extremely precise and responsive. Point it where you want and it is there instantly.

How long do the clutches last and is it a big job for a new one.

They vary. Some clutches go after 20K miles and others are good for 100K miles - from which I suspect that driving style is the key variable.

A new one costs around $2K including parts and labor.

Don't forget to look in the FAQ for information. The info on clutches is at http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/clutch.htm

Are there any usual defects on an older NSX I should be looking for?
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting.htm This has every problem that anyone has ever reported in the electronic forums, so don't get put off by the number listed. This is an extremely reliable car.

The only really important ones to be aware of are the "snap ring" problem with the transmission (the transmission ID will tell you whether you need to worry about this) and the window regulators. Both problems can be avoided through doing an inexpensive preventive repair.

Should it come with a Spare type and pump and spanner kit?

It should come with a spare tire (or tyre) and air pump. I don't know what a spanner kit is.

>>It should come with a spare tire (or tyre) and air pump. I don't know what a spanner kit is.<<
Great and I thought as much. I'll have to tell em to put one back in there.
Sorry, I forgotten about "Wrench". Having live in the US and UK, I'm getting mid-Atlantic confusion. And thanks for the URLs NSXtancy.

Andrie - So where is the wrench kept for the steering?

I cant wait to get the price sorted on this. I could pay what they are asking for (a bit more than I expected for this car at this condition). I guess you pay a slight premium when the cars are rare.

Parts look much more available in the states?

I need to see if there are poeple in HK that own NSXs on the net!

Many Thanks for your input

Michael

we call spanner wrench here in US

It should come with the lug wrench, which as I recall may double as one of the pieces of the jack. It, and the air pump, and the screwdriver, and tire gauge, and the jack, all fit in the floor of the trunk, in their individual cut-outs. And yes, they should come with the car.

Yes, I just found an old UK article (approx 1998-1999)which gave the NSX a nice review an mentioned it was just as good with the non-power steeting version.

Its also shows a picture of the toolkit.
Andrie - Sorry, I meant Wheel! It was real late when I logged on.

I'm waiting for a price today, as I'm not sure they are willing to move down on the price a little. I guess these cars are rare and poeple will pay the price. I havent seen much or any price changes (for 1990-91) since 1997 in HK.

Cheers

Michael

Back