• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help, loud clicking noise

I have a '98 NSX that gives off a loud intermittant clicking sound somewhere around the glove box. At first I thought it was coming from the right front speaker but does not stop when you turn the radio off. I only have 25k miles on the car. Any ideas about the source of this sound? It seems like I'm not the only one with the problem but I have not seen any posts about how to cure it.
Thanks in advance.
Teek

Hey BrianK is this something related to the climate control? My ccu has been repaired but I'm still getting the ticking noise which is caused by the little plastic gears that open and close the vent. Seems like its getting stuck. Any way to fix that? Any input would be great!

Thanks

does the clicking stop on its own after about 1 minute?

also change the settings on the ccu to see if other "modes" stop the clicking... then you'll know its your ccu that is damaged

Hey BrianK is this something related to the climate control? My ccu has been repaired but I'm still getting the ticking noise which is caused by the little plastic gears that open and close the vent. Seems like its getting stuck. Any way to fix that? Any input would be great!

Thanks

Yes it can be a ccu issue or blocked mode or vent motor. Did I repair your CCU?

I have a '98 NSX that gives off a loud intermittent clicking sound somewhere around the glove box. At first I thought it was coming from the right front speaker but does not stop when you turn the radio off. I only have 25k miles on the car. Any ideas about the source of this sound? It seems like I'm not the only one with the problem but I have not seen any posts about how to cure it.
Thanks in advance.
Teek

You're certain it's inside the car and not the ABS system chirping? You might confirm it doesn't get louder with the windows down.

@terkam: I don't mean to thread jack. But I hope my issues and questions may help remedy yours as well. Hopefully you are having the same issue, so that we can get this question answered and resolved together. :smile:

@nikey22: If terkam is having the same issue as me. What happens is that when I tested the CCU before putting the panels back on, when the vent opens and closes while cycling through the modes, it goes from a light (but noticeable) ticking noise, to a louder ticking noise (when the vent opens). I've had a bad ccu for 2 years (only blowing on high) but only recently the symptoms began this past month, which led me to get the ccu fixed. After getting it fixed, I tested the ccu with the panels out, and still the same. From what I can see the thing that's making the noise is a little plastic gear and a plastic arm that controls the opening and closing of the vents. The ticking noise is made as the little arm hits the teeth of the little gear.

@Briank: I had my ccu fixed by a local member here in SoCal.

After taking the advice of several on the site, I found that the clicking only stops in the "defog" mode setting. Does that mean the CCU is screwed up and needs to be repaired? Does BrianK still repair these? If so please post email address.

@terkam: I don't mean to thread jack. But I hope my issues and questions may help remedy yours as well. Hopefully you are having the same issue, so that we can get this question answered and resolved together. :smile:

@nikey22: If terkam is having the same issue as me. What happens is that when I tested the CCU before putting the panels back on, when the vent opens and closes while cycling through the modes, it goes from a light (but noticeable) ticking noise, to a louder ticking noise (when the vent opens). I've had a bad ccu for 2 years (only blowing on high) but only recently the symptoms began this past month, which led me to get the ccu fixed. After getting it fixed, I tested the ccu with the panels out, and still the same. From what I can see the thing that's making the noise is a little plastic gear and a plastic arm that controls the opening and closing of the vents. The ticking noise is made as the little arm hits the teeth of the little gear.

@Briank: I had my ccu fixed by a local member here in SoCal.

Well it should not click so it sounds like its not completely fixed. If you want it properly fixed and fully tested let me know. It not uncommon for me to redo ccu repairs that others have attempted.

Last edited:
Back