• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help! need input for tranny

I an changing my clutch in a month or so. I know that it would be feasable to do the gears while the tranny is down. This is what I would like: When shifting from 1st(red line) to second, I would like to be between 5500 and 5700 rpm when I engage 2nd. Same with 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. I still want to keep my final drive ratio, unless, the car is below redline, say 7000 rpm when at 167mph. (Does anyone know the rpm at 165mph on 5th?.

Questions I need input for: 1/ Short gears; who makes them, what do they do for each gear and how many different kinds are there? 2/ R&P I know that they affect all the gears but by how much and what different R&P are available? Again who makes/sells them?
"YOU", nsx prime forum, are my main resource for information so your input is greatly needed to get the performance I want. I dont know any other source(magazines) that covers NSX on this topic.
I want to mention, that this past weekend I had the opportunity to drive an NSX with short gears and R&P and I liked it but I forgot the R&P number and where each gear dropped.
Thankyou in advance for the help.
Vance

Hi Vance,

AFAIK, there is only one set of "short gears" for the five-speed, and they are made by Honda. That is how the NSX is sold in Japan. You can see the ratios in the FAQ sections on Gear Ratios and Gears. So you can have the stock gears, or the short gears. Even the short gears will put you at 5085 RPM when you upshift from first to second. You can see all the other RPM's after upshifting if you look in the Gear Ratios section of the FAQ. Keep in mind that the short gears only change for second, third, and fourth; first and fifth are the stock gears.

The stock ring and pinion gear has a 4.062 ratio. There are two optional R&P's, with ratios of 4.235 and 4.550.

Because these are Honda parts, you should be able to order them through your dealer.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 May 2002).]

The short gears and 4.23 R&P are made by Honda. The 4.55 is from Comptech. Most Acura dealers can order the R&P from Comptech. The Honda parts will not be in stock at most dealers and most do not know the correct part numbers.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Hi Vance,

AFAIK, there is only one set of "short gears" for the five-speed, and they are made by Honda. That is how the NSX is sold in Japan. You can see the ratios in the FAQ sections on Gear Ratios and Gears. So you can have the stock gears, or the short gears. Even the short gears will put you at 5085 RPM when you upshift from first to second. You can see all the other RPM's after upshifting if you look in the Gear Ratios section of the FAQ. Keep in mind that the short gears only change for second, third, and fourth; first and fifth are the stock gears.

The stock ring and pinion gear has a 4.062 ratio. There are two optional R&P's, with ratios of 4.235 and 4.550.

Because these are Honda parts, you should be able to order them through your dealer.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 May 2002).]

------------------
acrmotorsports_1681_33419

www.acrmotorsports.com

Originally posted by ACR_Motorsports:
The Honda parts will not be in stock at most dealers and most do not know the correct part numbers.

The part numbers you'll need are in the FAQ.

Originally posted by ACR_Motorsports:
The Honda parts will not be in stock at most dealers and most do not know the correct part numbers.

On a related note, is installing short gears and a R&P something that any certified NSX tech should be able to handle?

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

You should find a NSX-Tech that has performed this type of work before and ask for references if possible. A good NSX-Tech can also look for and identify problems such as worn syncros, bad bearings, while the tranny is apart, thus possibly saving you time and money.

Originally posted by Russ:
On a related note, is installing short gears and a R&P something that any certified NSX tech should be able to handle?

------------------
acrmotorsports_1681_33419

www.acrmotorsports.com

Check Daliracing.com as he carries these gears. I have short gears, lite flywheel and 4.23 R/P. It is great. Compared to stock it is very noticeable.
Dan

Originally posted by Russ:

Should be able to do? Absolutely.

CAN competently do? Absolutely NOT.

Many Acura dealers will not even open an NSX transmission.

ACR's advice is sound. You can also buy a used tranny fully rebuilt to as-new with the gear set of your choice, then ship them your old core back. Comptech and Mark Basch do this, maybe some others as well.

I'll be upgrading my tranny to short gears and 4.235 R&P. My preference is for Honda genuine parts, however, I do like the 4.55 R&P which Comptech produces. I've driven my friend's Comptech supercharged NSX with short gears and 4.55 countless times. The car just TAKES OFF and is insanely fast! Still, my preference is for the Honda 4.235 R&P strictly due to noise issues with the 4.55. Driving on the freeway, you hear the R&P distinctively and when you lift, its quiet. If Comptech would produce a 4.55 to Honda's quality standards, it would be a no brainer. If the noise doesn't bother you, the 4.55 R&P will definitely impress.

Vytas

[This message has been edited by Vytas (edited 02 May 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Vytas (edited 02 May 2002).]

Originally posted by 4g62bt2c30a:
If you scroll down it looks as if there are short grears for the nsx-r.What are these?

NSX-R �@�@�@ ƒNƒ�ƒX =translated to = CROSS
1.400 3rd 1.480
1.033 4th 1.138
0.771 5th 0.906

1.400 and 1.033 are the gear ratios for the short gears for third and fourth. 0.771 is the ratio for fifth gear in the five-speed (stock or short, same thing).

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have almost decided (90%). I will get comptech power grip I , the type R short gears, and the 4.23 R&P. Again, I appreciate very much all of your inputs
Vance

I dont have the r&p yet nor the short gears but I would look on the dali site before you buy.he is offering ready to go gear boxes with everything already installed.when it arrives,you just drop out the old one put it in the box the new one came in and ship it back to him and get a 700 core charge refund.and since you are doing all that have you compared the dali clutch with 7.8 pound tilton fly wheel included.or you can buy the clutch package including the lite fly wheel for 1500 and get 250 back if your old one can be rebuilt.thats 850 cheaper then the powergrip the savings alone will cover the install and some(and by that I mean clutch ,flywheel and gears). just an fyi.I think the gears your getting with the dali clutch would be evil.I just have the clutch and flywheel and cant believe how quick it revs thru gears.and with the short ones...I will be doing mine after I get my bbsc installed in a couple weeks in orlando.
david

pardon my shameless plug...

I have a tranny with only 9000 miles for sale. It is complete for a "bolt-in" application (includes case and all). The tranny already has the Comptech 4.55:1 R&P and JDM short gears. $3995.00. You can then turn around and sell your existing tranny.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected]
http://www.ScienceofSpeed.com

If you want performance for the track you might want to consider keeping the stock gears and 4.23 or 4.55 R&P to have the best accelleration from 2-5th gear. I doubt you would use 1st-2nd transition at the track. The short gears try to fix the 1-2 shift by sacrificing the taller gears. So the short gears would be good for 0-60mph and stock gears would be good for 40-130mph.

I agree that the primary benefit of the short gears is in the 40-60 mph range which is not usually beneficial on the track.

However, the aftermarket R&P won't do much on the track, either. The R&P increases acceleration within a particular gear, but may help or hurt acceleration at any particular road speed. At the track, you're typically upshifting and downshifting a lot. The shorter R&P will force you to upshift at lower speeds than the stock R&P; your acceleration will be poorer after the upshift in a higher gear with the shorter R&P than in the lower gear with the stock R&P. Because some tracks favor certain speeds, there may be one track or another where the R&P helps, and another where it hurts, but overall, it won't make much difference at all.

The primary benefit of the R&P will occur where you're in a particular gear anyway (notably first gear off the line) and not in a situation where you're doing a lot of shifting (like on the track).

Does anyone know the RPM at 165 MPH in 5th?

With the 4.55:1, 7900 RPM at 163 MPH in 5th.

BTW, the 4.23 will not fit in a 95 five speed. Honda changed the design of the carrier (?) and you have two options - swap carriers or go with the 4.55.

Yes.....285x35x18 rears.

Just to clarify - it sounds like you were both maxing out at about the same top speed, even though your revs were different.

If I were to get the R&P only, I would not be gaining much. Like NSXTASY said: "However, the aftermarket R&P won't do much on the track, either. The R&P increases acceleration within a particular gear, but may help or hurt acceleration at any particular road speed. At the track, you're typically ".
Now if I understand this, I would be going through gears faster but, the ratio of all the gears relative to each other will remain the same?!!>. I.E. when I go from 1st to 2nd my RPM will still drop to around 5000??!!. If this is correct, I will not be utilizing the engine's fullest potential.....I want a 6 speed!!!

Back