• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help on new rav4 purchase, please

I was hoping you all could help me out with this.

I am looking at a 09' rav4 awd sport with the v6.
The sticker price is 28500.
They are telling me that they can give it to me for 200 over their invoice.
They say their invoice is 26500. What the salesman told me was that he could not go any lower than 26700. Ofcoarse on top of that is the dealer handling for 399.

I have looked on bluebook.com and edmunds and on there it lists the awd v6 sport invoice is 24xxx.
I know alot will depend on options too, but with this one its pretty basic. No leather or upgraded stereo.

So my question is are they BSing me on what the actual invoice is on this car?
Also, how accurate are websites on actual invoices of new vehicles?

thanks,
steve

I sell cars for living, first of all, I have to state that if everyone going out buying cars at invoice. A lot of us will die (and yes, we are dying as we speak) as most dealership in the nation doesn't pay more than $100 for a "mini". (A term that the salesman is useless that he failed to sell the value of their product.)

Whenever you go in to a dealership buying a car asking for paying invoice is a slap on the poor salesperson's face. You are basically asking him to sell you a car, with all the work he does, you are not paying him anything more... In fact besides automobile, try any other retail business and ask them to sell you a product at their invoice! Can someone say .39 for a Venti Mocha @ Starbucks?

Now, internet especially on Edmunds are pretty accurate getting the invoice price of a car. I know sometime Edmund will give you a "what others paying" option that to gives you an average of what other people paying in your area.

Please disregard the internet bull shit of "I'll got a car for this $xx,xxx price", with any elementary knowledge, cost of running a business is quite different, say middle of nowhere in Montana vs. 90210.

Again, I'm a Honda guy, and Honda doesn't put different package confusing customer, which Toyota is very good at. There's chance that your local dealership is being honest to you and you missed some of the accesories when you doing your research.

Well, what is the MSRP of the said car?
Generally most manufacturers have 6-10% profit margin from invoice to Msrp. $4000 profit in a msrp $28500 car is a little unrealistic.

My only suggestion to you is that, while it doesn't hurt to shop around; You have to really see if you want to pay the $26000 for a $28500 car; and if it really worths your time and effort trying to "shop" for a lower price.

Why would you like a Toyota Rav4?:confused: The handling of the 4 cyl. is terrible enough, I couldn't imagine how messed up with more power.

The problem with Toyota is the many options are not listed from Edmunds.com.

You need to get the option list.

The profit margin for Japanese cars at MSRP below $30k is about 8%- 11%, so in my opinion, he was pertty honest about the pricing - for the $2000 difference. If you still doubt the number, just have show you the invoice. They can't altered the invoice, it is against the law. You want a 09 car, unless it is GM, it is hard to buy it below invoice because Toyota's discount is pass on to the customers up front (with advertising); I assume Colorado is a FWD country, so the supply demand could be tight, even at today's economy.

Honda on the other hand, never publicly disclose factory to dealer cash.

Whenever you go in to a dealership buying a car asking for paying invoice is a slap on the poor salesperson's face. You are basically asking him to sell you a car, with all the work he does, you are not paying him anything more... In fact besides automobile, try any other retail business and ask them to sell you a product at their invoice! Can someone say .39 for a Venti Mocha @ Starbucks?

Not that I don't feel for you but.... doesn't it work both ways? Isn't it a slap in the face of a customer, particularly a repeat customer, when the dealer wacks a "market adjustment" onto a popular car? Using your retail comparison, other retailers don't go above MSRP on anything, even hugely popular things like the Wii, iPhone, superbowl tickets, etc. None of those retailers mark-up over MSRP even though they know the exact items are going for double on the secondary market. Between dealer prep, document fees, market adjustments, non-transparent lease deals, etc. the car retail industry has created this "screw or be screwed" relationship with the customer. Isn't it fair-game to hammer a Toyota dealer for the lowest price on the Rav4 when nearly all Toyota dealers had a $2-5k uplift on the Prius when gas prices were at $4+ per gallon?

Last edited:
Thankyou for all your replies. My intent was not to "slap" any salesmen in the face. It was his offer that he could sell it at 200 over invoice.
Im just not sure if i believe what he is telling me is actually the invoice price.

Back