• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help pick a car for parents

Mazda CX-9
2008 Motor Trend SUV of the Year and the North American Truck of the Year award at the Detroit Auto Show.

Most have a 3.7L V6 with 273HP & 270 ft-lbs.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...inPrice=10000&showcaseOwnerId=100000120&Log=0

CX-9_sideprofile2.jpg

CX-9_rearhatch_open.jpg

or the Smaller Mazda CX-7
Powered by a 2.3L Turbocharged I4 with 244HP and 258 ft-lbs

11557908-mazda-cx-7-mazda-garden-city-mazda-lic-auto.jpg

Mazda-CX-7-Interior-seat.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've narrowed it down to a sedan. I'm looking at used but almost new 2011 sonatas or optimas, maximas, Camry's, accords, Mazda 6. They seem to be fine with a basic 4 door, even considering the Prius. Right now I'm leaning most towards the sonata based on standard equipment and price. I can actually get a 2011 under warranty still for 15-16K. Personally I'd want more performance but they don't care and the sonata's basic 4 has 200 HP.

The Sonata is an EXCELLENT car. My ex-GF bought a new one a year ago. I was against it at first, and wanted her to get a BMW 3 series. But I was pleasantly surprised by it.

For the price, I don't think it can be beat.

The Sonata is an EXCELLENT car. My ex-GF bought a new one a year ago. I was against it at first, and wanted her to get a BMW 3 series. But I was pleasantly surprised by it.

For the price, I don't think it can be beat.

Did you look at the Optima?

Late model Hyundai is definitely an excellent choice. Especially with the warranty.

Of other Japanese brands, I've found both that Mazda and Nissan depreciate faster than Honda and Toyota vehicles while keeping similar levels of reliability. While it's bad for resale value when you go to sell it, it's really good for private party purchases if you plan to keep it a long time since you can generally get a newer car with lower miles (seems to be also true with the Hyundais and Kias).

Did you look at the Optima?

I rented a new Kia Optima when I was in Oakland a month ago. The car drove relatively nice. The power of the 4 cylinder was pretty good also. The car was comfortable, pretty spacious, and the technology in the car was pretty good. All around, I wouldn't buy one, but I can sure see why people would. I thought it was very similar in almost every way to the new Jetta 2.5 I rented earlier this year in LA in terms of fit-and-finish, initial qualtiy, feel, performance, steering response, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've narrowed it down to a sedan. I'm looking at used but almost new 2011 sonatas or optimas, maximas, Camry's, accords, Mazda 6. They seem to be fine with a basic 4 door, even considering the Prius. Right now I'm leaning most towards the sonata based on standard equipment and price. I can actually get a 2011 under warranty still for 15-16K. Personally I'd want more performance but they don't care and the sonata's basic 4 has 200 HP.

Since you are now looking at 4 cylinder sedans, have you checked out the ILX?!

Interesting Article that just popped up on MSN.com

10 Best Values in Used Cars, 2012 according to Kiplinger
http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/best-used-cars-2012/1.html

1) 2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS
2) 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan
3) 2009 Chevrolet Malibu 1LT
4) 2009 Nissan Rogue S
5) 2008 Honda CR-V LX
6) 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i
7) 2009 Ford Taurus Limited
8) 2008 Mazda CX-9 Sport
9) 2009 Toyota Sienna LE
10) 2009 Infiniti G37x AWD

If they aren't "cars guys" then a Sonata is an great car with exceptional value!

Nothing other than it's twin(optima) can beat it. I like Adriana Lima so I would go with the Optima. Oh... It looks better too!

If they aren't "cars guys" then a Sonata is an great car with exceptional value!

Nothing other than it's twin(optima) can beat it. I like Adriana Lima so I would go with the Optima. Oh... It looks better too!

Let's face it... Most people aren't car people. If they were, then the best sellers would continuously be performance cars and the ones car magazines like... But they aren't. Even in my work I used to try to make customers really understand the importance of quality audio and video... But many didn't and don't get it. They are happy with their favorite song playing at 54Mbps through a 3" speaker.

Mom could absolutely care less, and dad only seems to like 2 things: torque, and a smooth ride. If he can put 2x4's in it that would be better but not a deal breaker. He thinks my NSX is a joke. LOL...

You know that ad made dissapointed in Adriana. She's a bit too straight.

Back