• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help with rubbing issues!!!

I have 00 nsx on stock wheels and I just recently lowered the car with BC coilover. From the tires to the inner fender liner, you can put 1 finger between them. When I turn the tire all the way, it does not rub. It only rubs when I come to a any small dip on the road. Are there any solution I can do to avoid rubbing against the fender liner. The front tires are 215-45-16, can I run 215-34-16 instead? Any input would be highly appreciated. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I meant 215-35-16

You don't want to get 215/35-16, because it's way too small and the TCS won't work with that size.

You can get 205/45-16, which will give you a little more clearance, but only a little. Maybe the difference will be enough to avoid any rubbing. And keep in mind, you want to use similar tires (preferably the same make/model) on the front and rear, so changing to 205/45-16 may mean replacing all four tires rather than just two. What rear size and make/model tires do you have now?

Of course, the real cause of the rubbing is the lowering. If you need more clearance, it would be best to find a solution that doesn't involve lowering the car as much. Do you know how much the coilovers lowered the car? Is there any range of adjustment on the lowering?

Last edited:
I'm running 245-40-17 on Kumho Ecsta on the rear and 215-45-16 with the same brand. I don't know how much exactly is lowered but between the front fender liner and the tire, there is a 1 inch gap. I'm trying to upload some pics but having a difficult time doing so.

Which Kumho Ecsta? Perhaps the Kumho Ecsta XS, front and rear? (I hope it's not different versions of the Ecsta, front vs rear - that could be disastrous!)

If it's the Kumho Ecsta XS, you could try getting the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 or RE-11A, or the Toyo Proxes R1R, in 205/45-16, and use them with the XS in the rear. All of these are supersticky "extreme performance" tires, so you wouldn't have to buy new rears as well. Again, the difference between 205/45 and 215/45 isn't all that much, but it might be just enough to keep from rubbing. Also keep in mind that as the tires wear, they will give you a bit more clearance than when they're new and have full tread depth.

If you only experience rubbing on bumps in the road, and are happy with your current ride height then just adjust the suspension to more of a firm ride!!

I have 00 nsx on stock wheels and I just recently lowered the car with BC coilover. From the tires to the inner fender liner, you can put 1 finger between them. When I turn the tire all the way, it does not rub. It only rubs when I come to a any small dip on the road. Are there any solution I can do to avoid rubbing against the fender liner. The front tires are 215-45-16, can I run 215-34-16 instead? Any input would be highly appreciated. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I meant 215-35-16

I don't know how much exactly is lowered
With the car parked on a level surface, what's the vertical distance between the ground and the jacking points (metal tabs) just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels? The service manual says that it should be 5.3", although when I've measured mine (still at stock ride height) it's been 4.5-4.75". Even with the car lowered as much as 1.5" from that, the tires shouldn't be rubbing, even if it's just on bumps. But if it's lowered more than that, all bets are off (and you might want to consider undoing some of the lowering).

Yes, BC coilovers are fully adjustable not only for Ride Height but also stiffness.
It's quite possible that it was initially installed for maximum lowering, which you may not want, for exactly this reason. The first thing I would do is to see if they can be adjusted to give a bit more ride height, undoing some portion of the lowering. If that works, then you don't need to buy tires at all. And you can always change the adjustment at a later time if you decide you want to increase or decrease the ride height/lowering.

Similarly, they may have been initially installed at the softest setting, which can permit more suspension travel over bumps. As John and Chris noted, you may be able to adjust the coilovers for a firmer ride. And if it's then too firm, again, you can always change that adjustment as well.

Last edited:
the finger gap test is unreliable, measure how nsxtasy mentions.How are your shocks set? You may have the compression and rebound too loose.

Ill get back to you guys ASAP. I'm going to try that and see if it needs to get raise back up a little more and ill check the rebound and compression and the tires are the XS.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so I did the measurement for the front and from the jacking metal points to the ground is 3.5 inches. So taking NSXTASY measurement of 4.75 and subtracting it from 3.5, I get a lowered height of 1.25 in the front. The rear does not rub just the front. If my math is right 1.25 is not that low.

Do you have spacers on the car? Or have you checked to see that all the fenderliner clips are installed to keep the fender liner in place? If you're missing some, it'll cause the fenderliner to sag and give you rubbing issues because you should NOT have any rubbing issues with the stock wheels and stock tires whatsoever, IMO.

lol, who told you to use 25mm front spacers?

If you run a 15mm spacer in front instead I can pretty much guarantee your rubbing will disappear.

As Hapa (wheel guru,sultan of offset,Earl of concavity,king of clearance) stated above 15mm max for front.

Back