• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

here comes the manual-only Civic Type R

While I do not care for some of the styling, I know this car is going to be buckets of fun. RS owners beware...

That is a lot of power going to the front wheels...

That is a lot of power going to the front wheels...

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if torque steer will be an issue. Interested in driving one.

we shall see, when the cars are tested and reviewed stateside...I have some experience with the old itr's on track...and you have to alter your inputs when asking the front wheels to do all the work.

I for one cannot stand front wheel drive cars. If only this car was rwd. I'd probably sell my nsx to buy one.

it's about time. Regarding torque steer there was an article that covered that specifically. The honda engineers did some ninja like engineer-foo to decrease it. I'm sure there will be some but not as bad as you're thinking. I've been looking for a good daily driver... but think the civic may be a bit small for me and the family. Probably CTSV when i scrape up the cash to purchase.

Have you ever driven an Integra Type R?
Good question.
People who know how to drive a performance FWD know how much safer and therefore faster one can go in a fwd car especially when the engineering might of Honda is behind them. There is a reason the Type R has become a legend in Europe and soon in the US.

Have you ever driven an Integra Type R?
Nope. But I have owned several high powered fwd Honda's. I just prefer a rwd car over a fwd car.

Nope. But I have owned several high powered fwd Honda's. I just prefer a rwd car over a fwd car.

Gotcha. For what it's worth, the 2017 Civic Type R uses the same engine that was in the previous generation Civic Type R and the reviews on those aren't too shabby.

I guess they are trying to compete with the looks of the STI? Quite aggressive.

It's a beast and they are trying to capitalize on the hot hatch segment with mostly FWD turbo cars. I've got 2 years on my Mazdaspeed3 and must say it is quite fun and the FWD makes it predictable. As a younger customer will (I'm assuming younger because of the styling and price) probably have to use this as their DD they will want something that is an all-in-one machine, has space, is fast, looks good, and won't dump them on the curb in winter driving.

I would love to see the stats on speeding tickets correlating to car make/model when this car comes out. I am sure it will be high up there.

bumping this to ask if anyone has owned one for awhile and can give some cliff notes...

It looks like a lot of bang for the $.....Do you have any criticisms?

What do you want to know exactly? A review of the car for itself, a comparison to the (old) NSX (the Civic wins I've to admit) or...? :)

Overall it's definitly BIG bang for the buck. No major critics so far at all. It's a hell of a car in the hot hatch category, best current Honda at the moment including old Integra Type R, S2000 and all former Civics.

Back