• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hesitation gremlin rearing it's ugly head.

Ok, I read all the threads on this issue. I'm getting that 3000k to 3500k hesitation. My car is a 91 and it's all oem. No mods done. I know the basic things to check. ie, spark plugs, fuel filter, clean throttle body, air filter, ect. It's been cold and it was rainy last week. My car has not been in the rain. I've never had this issue till today and I've owned this car for about 8 years now. I've had the TB/WP, main relay replaced 3 years ago. I just hit 70k miles. You think it's time to get new o2 sensors or some bad gas? I don't drive the car all that often. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

I have a 91 and it does not run right if it does not get Tier 1 gas. I would try a fuel system cleaner along with quality gas and see if that resolves the issue.

Hesitation at 3K rpm? I had this in my Camaro and it turned out the MAF was blocked by a piece of foam that is supposed to seal the air box. The foam lost adhesion and it got sucked up into the MAF screen...

Are you throwing any codes? I know it's OBD1 so it's not as easy to check... but maybe that would be a good place to start if you could manage it :(

I have had this happen twice now, with two separate causes.

First time it was the Fuel Pump ballast resistor. This has SUCH a low failure rate, but however mine was causing the issue.

Second common issue is a fuel pump connector that has gotten hot and is burning up reducing voltage to the fuel pump. It tends to go away with load as the car puts the pump into 'full' mode band-aiding the issue.

Oh lastly, a fuel filter clogged to hell.

Back