• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HID Install

Originally posted by burbel:
Is anyone working on a replacement HID high-beam kit, or is this not needed?

Autolamps and other kits do have highbeam HIDs, although I can't imagine how bright they might be and why somebody would need HID highbeams.

These WORK, but have up to recently been complex and difficult to produce. Problem is that HID bulbs (by design) need a little bit of time to "fire up" -- often too long for "flash to pass" or "rapid blink" applications.

What some had done was to keep them firing all the time when the headlamps are ON, aimed just like a regular low-beam or driving lamp. When the highbeam stalk is pulled, small servo-motors re-aim the beam up. Mercedes has these on its newer cars (they call it bi-Xenon) and it works just fine.

Stock highbeams on the NSX work very well with the HIDs. Agreed. PIAA SuperWhites give a nice complementary beam to HID -- less "yellow" than the OE unit, and IMO just as bright.

##########

Don't forget to replace those yellow-white parking lamp bulbs.

------------------
Manuel C
www.geocities.com/mcantoria/mc-toys.html

sig-front-top-100h.jpg
sig-left-front-100h.jpg
sig-rear-100h.jpg

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 08 April 2002).]

i got my HID kit at Stereo Performance Wherehouse in Oxnard. it was a Phillips ballast/bulb 9006 kit. true plug n play. no splicing or anything unlike this nsx specific kit from autolamps.
got it for $600 and that was over a year ago. i had it installed in my 89 CRX. worked like a charm. took about 15 minutes to install but then again it's a crx. has a really intense blue light when turned on then turns slightly white. after i upgraded to projector beams, light output increased even more.
went back to them because my brother wanted to add HID to his 4runner and my dad wanted to do the same to his truck. they origanally quoted me for $600 again for the kit, but since i had bought from them before and i told them i was planning on getting 2 sets, i was given a price of $500 a kit.
you can get more info at www.spwusa.com or (805) 385-3676. ask for Andy or Bruce.they
should be able to hook you up . also check out their replacement LED lights for your turn signals,instrument lights,interior light bulbs. they have white and blue last time i checked. big difference . tell them Herman with the yellow crx sent you
http://www.spwusa.com/manu.asp?dept=12&manu=109

hey dochartung u live in hawthorne?? i grew up in prospect park, right next door, i now live in wayne, maybe u could give me a ride in your nsx some time , im so close to getting one!!!

Sc boosted nSx, you want to by mine??? Just kidding. Although I will sell one day to upgrade, but that won't be until Honda releases the REAL updated version of the NSX, not just a (ugly IMHO) facelifted version. I want the camshaftless F1 inspired NSX that I really think will become a reality one day soon. You can email me if you really want to check out the car. Sorry for taking so long to respond, I have been very busy. Hope all HID kit are working fine. I know mine are and I am still very happy with them. I would never go back to halogen. I just put a set in my 4WD subaru.

------------------

The new more PURPLE and BRIGHTER looking hid bulbs are already out there called 6000k bulbs ours are the 4300k's which refer to the color of the light but im told u can just switch the lamps with the ones u got to get the audi looking purplish hid light output i belong to the tl.com forum and everyones talking about how amazing they are ,,by the way the lamps are 290 a set from autolamps.com

I'm still searching for the secret instructions on how to install the Autolamps HID kit so that the ballast & extra wiring is hidden under the headlight cover. Anyone??

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

If the igniters are the same as the RM kit, (it sounds like they are), they simply mount up under the rear bracket on the headlight assy. Then just tuck the wires under the edge of the fenders. The RM kit had kinda lame wiring instructions. I called Randy to give him a couple tips on making them a little more user friendly. He wasn't too happy with me.
wink.gif
I was just offering my opinion. The wires to the igniters are in a black see through loom on the RM kit, so it's almost undetectable when you raise the front hood. You can't see the igniters at all. The cups behind the bulbs are kinda a pain to cut out and get back on the car though. I was being conservative though to keep all the weather out that I could. They turned out great though. Looks awesome. As posted earlier, they have a blue look directly on, and look white from the sides. But they ARE nice and bright.
Barn Man....

Back