• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

High mileage NSX's

Hello everyone!!!!
I am wondering, at what mileage would you guys consider not buying a NSX? I have seen NSX's (91, 92, 93) with up to 125,000. Is this too high? Will maintenance be a very big issue? Thanks in advance!!!

______
If you ain't rollin right, you ain't rappin right- Mista Ted

I wouldn't buy a high-mileage NSX. It's not so much that repairs will be an issue, but rather, that they're just not a very good value.

Figure it this way. You can get a nice '91 with 50K miles for maybe $33K. OR you can get a '91 with 125K miles for maybe $27K. For a difference of $6K you're giving up 75K miles - perhaps a third of the life of the car (and not the most inexpensive third, either). Not worth it.

The other fallacy is that people usually buy NSX's with 100K+ miles because they can't afford lower-mileage cars. But if you can't afford to buy a lower-mileage NSX, you probably can't afford to own a higher-mileage NSX, either. The NSX is one of the most reliable cars on the road, but things do happen. Basically, if you can't handle the possibility of a $5K repair, you shouldn't get the car.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 15 August 2001).]

Ken's logic is impeccable and I agree wholeheartedly.

However, lately I've been thinking that I might consider a less than stellar used NSX...

We've all seen those NSX's for sale that have been repainted, semi-butchered, or have high miles, or have been in a flood, or have salvaged titles, or perhaps all of the above...

I've often thought it might be neat to get a "beater" NSX.

An NSX that I wouldn't care too much about getting a door ding, or a NSX that I could prep for the track, etc.

If the price was right, let's say low 20's, this might make sense. My current 1992 NSX is pretty much as it must of looked when it left the showroom in 1992, and I like it that way. Sure, it has the 7 spoke wheels and I might put another exhaust on it or a pair of headers, but nothing radical, or non-stock looking or irreversible.

A second beater NSX might be kind of neat. Although, I suspect I'd have think about how best to explain this to the Mrs....

wink.gif

Just a thought...

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I've often thought it might be neat to get a "beater" NSX.

Interesting idea. I think you might want to suggest it to Akira3d so he can still drive an NSX to work
smile.gif

The other fallacy is that people usually buy NSX's with 100K+ miles because they can't afford lower-mileage cars. But if you can't afford to buy a lower-mileage NSX, you probably can't afford to own a higher-mileage NSX, either. The NSX is one of the most reliable cars on the road, but things do happen. Basically, if you can't handle the possibility of a $5K repair, you shouldn't get the car.[/quote}

You scare me when you say things like that! I know you are right, but it makes me realize how much farther I have until I can get the NSX!
frown.gif

I just drove a 1992 NSX in Dallas last weekend with 70K miles. They only wanted 28,000. It was a bank repo. What are your thoughts on repo cars?

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

I have also thought about buying a higher mileage nsx..not above 100k though, or even a theft recovered one. I want to pull the motor and have it sent of to bell or someone else that knows the nsx engine and have the motor rebuilt and made to handle a turbo running about 18lbs plus nos..then while the engine is out, paint the entire car and stick a body kit on it and fix any other things that I need to fix. I like my cars custom and I dont think I could take an nsx that was in perfect condition and start pulling motors and such, I just couldnt justify that...

my 2 cents

------------------
View

-1994 TT 6 Speed
-HKS VPC,EVC, Super Dragger Exhaust
-Spearco Front mount IC
-Rod Millen DP
-Sparco NSII viper 18's
-R.M. cross drilled rotors
-h.p.=? (0-blowjob in .7 seconds)
AIM=boomigotyomom

I purchased mine with about 75K miles for low 30s. Not the greatest deal when you consider mileage and value, but my deciding factor was the actual condition of the car. My NSX will probably last me past 160K and chances are I will not have it THAT long before getting a newer model in a few years.
My particular NSX, with 75K, was in such excellent condition that I chose it over others with lower miles. The interior was near mint. People always comment that it looks like a brand new interior. I had Larry at NSX Modified comb the car and drive it. He said the engine was in outstanding shape, very well mainteained and the car ran very strong, snap ring fixed, new tranny, RM clutch. It also had some aftermarket modifications like exhaust and intake which were very useful to me as I knew I would be modifying. To me, that is part of the fun of owning a sports car.
The overall quality of the car and "reasonable" miles was enough to sell me on the car. I'm sure if I looked even longer and out of state, I may have found an even better deal.
Because the car is so reliable, I would not worry about buying an NSX with 75-80K... even 100K as long as you can verify the condition. The main issue is worth and resale which you lose due to miles.
I agree with NSXTASY that the real issue is... can you afford the maintenance? If you can afford a cost of 4-5K in an emergency, you will be fine regardless of whether it has 30K or 130K.
I bought mine with 75K, am content knowing the car will run forever, and am having a blast. If you truly feel you can afford the car and maintenance, don't pass up the chance of experiencing the joy of ownership of a car like this. The mileage should not be a decididing factor of whether or not to buy the car, just one of many factors to consider. Use your head, weigh all the options and decide for yourself. Even if you goof and get a raw deal, paying more than you should have for less, you'll still be driving the car of your dreams and enjoying life. Just make sure you can afford an NSX period... after that, enjoy the research process and try to make a good choice. Buying the car is part of the fun... or at least it should be.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 16 August 2001).]

I have found that the maintanence costs for the NSX aren't too bad. My 15K service was $280, and oil changes average around $30 DIY. The only major expense that I had was for the water pump and timing belt, but that was only ~$1,000. The only costly expenses have been replacing the rotors and pads a few times, but that's a result of tracking the car 3-4 times a year. Overall not too bad for a 7 year old car, and as a matter of fact, after owning this car for 1.5 years it's been one of the cheapest cars to maintain, cheaper than my old SHO.

So for anyone considering a used NSX, I'd say don't worry about the maintanence because the money you save can be applied towards any repairs. Remember, the NSX is a Honda and they are proven to be reliable.

What other exotic can the same be said for?

I think you might want to suggest it to Akira3d so he can still drive an NSX to work
smile.gif

Believe it or not, I DID consider that...but my wife demanded that we get a more practical car for our third.
tongue.gif

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Back