• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda 2015 F1 Engine for McLaren

Honda will return to Formula One in 2015 as McLaren engine partners, replacing Mercedes, sources close to the company said on Wednesday.

Honda's Chief Executive Takanobu Ito is set to make an official announcement as early as Thursday, one of the sources added.

The Japanese automaker quit the sport at the end of 2008, handing over their team to then-principal Ross Brawn who went on to win both titles in 2009 with Mercedes-powered Brawn GP.

One source said Honda hoped Formula One's new engine regulations for 2014 would help develop technology for its mass volume road cars, adding: "That incubator aspect of the sport makes Honda's participation worthwhile."

Formula One is set to introduce a new 1.6 litre V6 engine next year aided by high-power turbo technology with energy recovery systems.

The news about Honda's return to Formula One was reported earlier on Wednesday in Japanese media including public broadcaster NHK and Asahi newspaper.

"There is nothing we can say at the moment," Honda spokesman Shigeki Endo said.

McLaren are committed to using engines made by Mercedes, their former shareholders, next year but have not revealed their plans for beyond that date. A team spokesman had no comment on the reports.

The link-up with McLaren, the second most successful team in the sport after Ferrari in terms of race wins and drivers' titles, would revive one of the greatest Formula One partnerships.

Honda had little success with their own team but powered McLaren to multiple championships with the late Brazilian triple champion Ayrton Senna and French four times champion Alain Prost between 1988 and 1992.

The partnership in 1988 was the most dominant in Formula One history, with Senna and Prost winning 15 of the 16 races.

The sources said Honda also hoped renewed participation in the sport will help boost vehicle sales, especially in Japan, Asia and Europe where Formula One is popular.

The two sources declined to be named as they were not authorised to speak about the matter.

Honda made its Formula One debut at the 1964 German Grand Prix at the Nuerburgring. The company's first grand prix win came just a year later at the 1965 Mexican Grand Prix in Mexico City and they then withdrew after the 1968 season.

They returned to the sport as an engine provider in 1983 and departed again in 1992.

In 2000, Honda made a comeback with BAR, which then became the Honda team in 2006. The only success in that period was Jenson Button's 2006 win in Hungary.

Button, world champion in 2009, is now a McLaren driver along with Mexican Sergio Perez.

Hopefully they have a better result this time around, and using the experience to create new exciting models for their road cars. Maybe new models to compete with the STI/EVO or FRS/BRZ or whatever.

sweet I want a civic with 500 hp/l.....

Bring back the red and white!

For having Honda as their engine supplier does not means they will repeat previous success because the playing field if more even today. Honda gain the upper hand during the 1980's for having pioneering electronic technology ranging from telemetry to ECU/Fuel management. Today we have McLaren making the standard ECU for all teams. Also the turbo engines of 2014 is completely different with pneumatic system with the turbo boost is lower.

I remember the days when Honda had engines line up in the garage because the rules didn't penalize blown engines replacements. They had qualifying Engines, practice engines, race engines, etc.

The move for McLaren was imminent for one simply reason, they didn't want to pay for customer and Honda is the only provider out there that is available. Even Williams have already signed a multiyear Renault Deal and Honda will not enter the sports with second tier teams.

Finally, I suspect this "long term" association have a lot more to do with McLaren's road car projects as I sincerely hope they also inked a deal with Honda for engine technology swap/supply for McLaren's future road car projects. If that's the case, they will sell more road cars. It is a win win situation for both. Imagine McLaren using NSX 2.0's drive train in the MP4-12 as an option, it will be the cheapest way to go.

Last edited:
Yeah i cant wait, i know they wont have the dominance of the 80's and 90's but it still seems right for the two companies to get together it was a succesfull partnership back then and was only terminated because Honda decided not to carry on.
When Gordon was designing the F1he wanted a Honda engine but they wanted to go away from larger displacement engines.

When Gordon was designing the F1 he wanted a Honda engine but they wanted to go away from larger displacement engines.

McLaren went with a BMW v12 for the f1 no?
Why would you say McLaren wanted to go away from larger displacement engines?

Being a long time McLaren fan and obviously a Honda fan, I can't wait for this partnership to renew! While I have always been a Formula One fan, it just makes it that more special when Honda is in the mix. That being said, I will have to temper my enthusiasm because I know that it will not be 1988 all over again!

I agree, bring back the Red and White!

Shame Honda didn't want to supply McLaren with an engine for the F1. Talk about missed opportunities.

Sorry JD should have clarified myself better.

Here is the excerpt from the article with Gordon Murray,

"However, during that time, in Honda's philosophy there was a resistance to large engines with many cylinders. I am not certain, but probably at the time, the voluntary restraint on power limits was a factor. Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine."

Full article has been posted somewhere before but in case you havent read it http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3716819

I want to see an engine development race alongside a chassis development race. Maybe the engine suppliers will be allowed two upgrades per season, so that the engine longevity requirement will fit right into that upgrade schedule.

Back