• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda confirms NSX for 2010

I've known it since 2005. :tongue: I'm just upset they haven't reverted to mid-engine since all the negative feedback on their front engine concepts.

LOL Sorry I meant the ASCC concept. Yeah it is old news on the V10:biggrin:

bugs.jpg

Mr. Quit has been falling for this"next year there's going to be a NEW NSX" gag since 2000!
What a maroon! I almost feel sorry for the guy but I can't help myself!
Hey Doc! It's gonna be in 2010! In 2010!

Last edited:
Anyway, Why Should A Next Gemeration Nsx Have To Compete With Nissan.

Super GT, GT500 class, if nothing else.

I'm so weary of all the "next NSX" speculation it almost irritates me to click on these links and find no new info, much less credible ones. Even if an actual mule (real one, this time) were to miraculously appear at some auto show, or even better, at the 'Ring, it would still be years before the final version comes out.

I don't feel like waiting. I need rear seats, so my next car purchase will definitely have to satisfy that one requirement; if something comes out that sparks my interest, I may have to jump to that, at least for the time being.

Wonder how much longer I have to wait! I've had a deposit since 2001ish :eek:
Just sitting here waiting... :)

Go back to the dealer and get your money back..This is all smoke and if the engine is not in the back it all a joke..

Here's what I came across today.
Apologies if it's been posted already (And for it being so dang lengthy) :redface:

From thetruthaboutcars:
By Justin Berkowitz
December 20, 2007
According to Jalopnik, Honda has confirmed that it's "un-delaying" (i.e. building) a replacement for its NSX supercar (1990 - 2005). In theory, it's an exciting development. Aside from the new U.S. Accord, Honda has always followed the Colin Chapman's "add lightness" paradigm. And no vehicle fits that mantra better than a high-performance sports car. That's why the original all-aluminum (body and chassis) NSX remains a totemic vehicle amongst those car nuts who can afford changing high performance tires every 58 miles. Ye Olde NSX offered all the handling of a Ferrari, and then some, on a regular basis (i.e. everyday usability). Like the Chevy Corvette– only with two less cylinders– the Japanese-built supercar was something a working class hero. Unfortunately, Honda is now following Lexus (LF-A) into The Kingdom of Stupid. The next NSX will have a 500-horse V10 in its nose. Pardon me for armchair CEO-ing, but this is five kinds of wrong. The next NSX should be a turbocharged, six-cylinder, mid-engined, Super-Handling AWD terror. When Honda blindly follows in opposition to their principles, not even their engineering expertise makes it worthwhile (see Chuck Norris' Ridgeline). Oh, and the concept car is way ugly.

And the Jalopnik bit:

American Honda CEO Tetsuo Iwamura confirmed to Wards Auto that, yes, the Acura NSX would return to American shores and likely around 2010. We're going to miss all the Acura NSX Gossip. Will they? Won't they? It was like Ross and Rachel, except with Takeo Fukui and a halo sports car. The car was initially meant to be out around now so it could take on the Nissan GT-R, but that obviously didn't happen.

Apparently, designers were unhappy with the lukewarm response to the Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept. When it does arrive, it'll likely sport a V-10 and possibly a version of Honda's SuperHandling AWD system. Or not. There's still much gossip to be had.

And the Wards Auto part:

DETROIT – Confirming widespread speculation, an American Honda Motor Co. Inc. official indicates the next-generation Acura NSX will bow later than initially expected.

“We are developing it without any delay, so most probably we will have it in the period we already promised,” says American Honda President and CEO Tetsuo Iwamura says, adding that means the car will arrive in 2010.

ADVERTISEMENT
However, 2010 is at least a year later than the 2008-2009 timeframe earlier set by Honda Motor Co. Ltd. CEO Takeo Fukui.

Acura Advanced Sports Car concept shown at 2007 Detroit auto show.
“We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era,” Fukui said in a July 2005 speech. “We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V-10 engine in three to four years.”

Much mystery has surrounded development of the next NSX.

Last January, Honda unveiled the Acura Advanced Sports Car concept at the North American International Auto Show, saying it hinted at the new NSX. Fukui told media then to expect a production version at October’s Tokyo Motor Show.

But reports surfaced the auto maker was unhappy with the tepid response to the Detroit concept and sent the car back to the drawing board.

In August, John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president, told Ward’s another version of the supercar concept would bow in Tokyo, but neither a production model nor concept was shown.

Related Stories
Production NSX Won’t Be at Tokyo, Mendel Says
Lexus Experience May Have Scuttled Acura’s Japan Debut
Honda Slipping in Truck Sector as 2007 Closes

Over the summer, Honda announced the Acura brand’s Japan launch would be delayed at least two years due to poor market conditions. Many analysts had expected the rollout of the NSX to coincide with the luxury marque’s Japan debut in 2008.

But Iwamura hints the delay may mean the U.S., not Japan, now is slated to get the vehicle first.

“In case of the introduction order, at this moment I can’t tell,” he says. “But the U.S., you know, has a majority of the (Acura) customers – that (is something) you have to think about.”

Asked whether the new NSX will carry an Acura badge in its home market for the first time, he says, “I can’t comment, but (the) NSX is a car for Acura, especially in the United States.”

Acura’s U.S. sales were down 10.8% through November, Ward’s data shows.

“Frankly speaking, we are struggling a bit,” Iwamura says, noting model-launch cadence has been problematic, as Honda’s near-luxury brand had no new vehicle introductions in 2007.

“We have to arrange a bit more wisely the timing and how we introduce new models,” he says.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3dnuttansx.jpg
    3dnuttansx.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,902
that gtr and the new ZR-1 are gonna be hard to beat. they are priced right and perform well. I can't imagine what a few upgrade will do to these beasts!!!

Agree with you on both, but the GT-R seems to have the upper hand upfront due to the handling. The new 6.? liters int the 2008/9 'vettes should have all supercars scared. Best bang for buck until the GT-R hits overseas shores.

The first upgrade for my 'vette would be a proper Z50 something suspension that never turned off. In competition mode you are toast and guranteed to get sideways unless you are a drift king. After totalling a C5 in Hawaii I learned to appreciate moderate power, superior handling. It effectively changed my life.

C5 Nov-Dec 2001
Porche Boxter Jan-Mar1002
NSX Apr 2002 - Now and forever...?

But I love the C6's total style and design. Same for the GT-R

Hopefully the new Honda design will keep me in the NSX business...:cool:
DJ

I don't understand what the hell Honda's problem is. The got the car right the first time!!!

The ONLY thing they needed to fix was the (relative) lack of power compared to other cars in (and slightly above) it's price point.

Even though making small adjustments to each part of the car is a costly and time-consuming endevor, there should be very little research required. The principles that the original NSX was built upon are still what makes a car fast.

They just need to add more power (bigger engine), and adjust the other aspects of the car to compensate.

As for unique technology... well, I think we can wait another 15,000 years till it's time for Gen3 to hit the rumor mill.

I think naaman has a point. It's not like the design of the original NSX is particularly messed up or obsolete. There are certainly people out in the tuning world that make even a first-gen NSX compete with other current-gen cars, short perhaps of AWD.

Simply updating the look, adding some new bells & whistles to the cockpit, and taking some drivetrain hints from the tuning and racing world would give them what they need inside of six months with very little additional R&D outlay.

We fanbois would be happy and gobble it up, newcomers would probably be impressed with the result if it looks even half as good as a first-gen NSX and works rougly on par with the current crowd, and Honda would stop looking like incompetent, procrastinating, over-promising and under-delivering jackasses.

But, instead, an entire crew of R&D engineers and designers are trying to justify their salaries by re-inventing the damned thing entirely for no good reason, and we'll get a complete pile of suck in 2014 that bears no resemblance to its respected ancestor.

Argh.

Edit: And let me clarify: By "updating", I do mean more than the headlight/side-skirt/tail upgrade we got, or the NSX-R, or that odd thing with the roof scoop that the Japanese market got a while back. I do mean a proper update of the shell, not just a few panels. On the other hand I *don't* think it needs a rework of the entire frame. You could slap a significantly-updated shell on the frame as-is, and if you were willing to tweak the pillars and the windows a bit, you could do even better.

There will never be another NSX, they need to not use that name on any future sports car they may put out. UNLESS, its mid-engine, RWD, and performs just as good if not better then the current nsx, and looks like sex on wheels

There will never be another NSX, they need to not use that name on any future sports car they may put out. UNLESS, its mid-engine, RWD, and performs just as good if not better then the current nsx, and looks like sex on wheels

Asking a lot aren't we, Already have the mid-engine RWD figured out, hell Shouldn't be hard to match the NSX performance(they did it once already by building the NSX) but look like sex on wheels, LoL I love the NSX(should see my living room), but don't know if the current NSX is Sex on Wheels. hehehehe

Steveny confirms sun will burn out.....stay tuned for further developments. Breath holding not recommended.

I be you the life of Universe will end too!!!:biggrin:

What ever happenend to the good ol' days of Honda /Acura cars?

We had:
Integra's debut followed by Integra Type R's
Honda Civics SI debut and followed by SIR and Type R versions
Acura RSX-Type S, Integra Type R (UK)
Acura NSX, NSX-R
Honda S2000

We now have:
S2000

I'm not holding my breath thinking that Honda will be doing much spectacular with the upcoming NSX...glad I have mine! It will most likely be a run of the mill front engined, nothing so special engined car like they are currently producing. Why not just throw a V10 into the Accord instead to keep the product line just as boring as it currently is.

I've never seen Honda in such crap shape in terms of vehicle choice for the performance enthusiast. Great if you want a everyday run around car, van or truck...

I've never seen Honda in such crap shape in terms of vehicle choice for the performance enthusiast. Great if you want a everyday run around car, van or truck...

They are turning into Toyota!

I don't understand what the hell Honda's problem is. The got the car right the first time!!!

The ONLY thing they needed to fix was the (relative) lack of power compared to other cars in (and slightly above) it's price point.

Even though making small adjustments to each part of the car is a costly and time-consuming endevor, there should be very little research required. The principles that the original NSX was built upon are still what makes a car fast.

I agree fully with your statement. And have stated so several times before.
With the NSX, Honda had the chance to turn it into the Japanes Porsche 911. Updated/modernised/modified every year just a little to keep it competitive and up the charts. And the Porsche 911 was basically a flawed design to begin with, whereas the NSX was just about perfect.

1. Change the engine. Upgrades like the 3.6 and 3.8 liter from companies like Science of Speed show that an engine of that size WILL fit into the NSX engine bay. With a weight a full 600 lbs LESS than the GT-R, a NSX does NOT need 475 HP to be fast. And there are plenty NSX's with a CTSC with around 400-430 HP than run reliably. Perhaps the 3.5 liter from the Legend might be a good starting point nowadays.
  2. Change the interior. Throw out that old casseteplayer, put in a decent, modern stereo (and make it easy to upgrade or change). Use a modrn on-board computer with touch-screen. Add a few touches perhaps. Like automatic dimming to INTERIOR light, changable background colors :)smile:), automatic&adjustable volume control
  3. Strengthen the chassis where it needs to to pass legislation.
  4. Cover up the underbody to imrpove airflow and downforce
  5. Change the outward design slightly, modernize it, start with the 2002 model. The HSC was a very good step forward in my opinion.
  6. Update all the electronics. Make sure thinks like TCS, ABS, brake-assist, stability control etc. are all there AND switchable.
  7. Lighten up the car where possible. The seats could be lighter, so could be the exhaust system and several other systems. A new NSX with 450 HP and 3150 lbs would be VERY comparable to any other car out there. Save perhaps a SLR or Enzo.

All in my humble opinion of course... :smile:
Come Honda, we all know you can DO it. So, why don't you?

Honda already developed an acceptable NSX replacement: the HSC. All it needed was a few tweaks to the styling and a V8 or V10. I was ready to put a deposit for the HSC five years ago, thankfully I didn't, but I lost that money anyway on an engagement ring. :mad:

I think this thread needs to be locked or merged into the NSXNICK thread. :biggrin:

Honda already developed an acceptable NSX replacement: the HSC.

Absolutely. The HSC was incredible looking. I still think the ASCC would be a great Legend coupe revival or even the next CL or RL coupes. Keep the HSC as the next NSX and they would be on their way to making the Acura brand into something truly world class rather than Honda's "Buick" line.

If Honda can just build me a $60K MR2, I will be happy as a clam. It will not be very exclusive though but can certainly compete with the Cayman and perhaps steal a few customers from the Carrera's. I bet it will be a super fast car with today's technologies and cheap building cost due to Honda's huge part bins. Am I asking too much? Here is a $50k "Zonda" based on a MR2.
Steve

Attachments

• MR2P.jpg
    MR2P.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 139
Honda already developed an acceptable NSX replacement: the HSC. All it needed was a few tweaks to the styling and a V8 or V10. I was ready to put a deposit for the HSC five years ago,

So was I but here on NSXPrime I seem to remember more than a few people declaring it ugly and a unsuitable replacement.

I thought it looked cool. The photos of the ASC did not turn me on.
maybe in person it would have been different but alas, clay can't take cold weather, so it never made it to NYC.:tongue: :biggrin:

I have seen the NSX replacement at the LA Auto Show in November. It's the 2008 Audi R8. A 6-speed manual naturally aspirated 420 hp V-8 mid engine aluminum design with the latest technology. What a gorgeous car. Too bad Audi saw the light and updated the NSX before Honda did. I just read a terrific article today in the March 08 issue of Sports Car International Magazine comparing the R8 and a '94 NSX. If Honda brings out this ridiculous 2010 front engine automatic AWD vehicle like the GT-R and label it a NSX replacement then I will definitely look foward to owning a R8 someday. Honda was a great innovative company when Soichiro Honda and Takeo Fujisawa ( co-founder of Honda) were alive but it has been downhill since their absence. So sad to see a great legacy of Honda declining like this. I miss the glory days of Senna and Prost driving their F1 Honda powered cars to victory lane every Sunday morning. Long live original NSX !!!

Back