• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HONDA NSX problem who can help

Hello guys,

A friend of mine has bought a 1992 NSX, the car is beutifull. The car was not driven for several years and the problem we have now with the car is that the CO emission is to high (about 2.5%) also the HC is to high (2000ppm)
we have tried engine cleaner, no result. ultrasonic cleaning of the injectors, no result.
the car is driving very very good, no lack of power.

Does anybody have an idea where to search?

thanks in advance for all your help,

ronny lucassen

THe Netherlands

Hello guys,

A friend of mine has bought a 1992 NSX, the car is beutifull. The car was not driven for several years and the problem we have now with the car is that the CO emission is to high (about 2.5%) also the HC is to high (2000ppm)
we have tried engine cleaner, no result. ultrasonic cleaning of the injectors, no result.
the car is driving very very good, no lack of power.

Does anybody have an idea where to search?

thanks in advance for all your help,

ronny lucassen

THe Netherlands

The o2 sensors need to be changed.

When you say "engine cleaner", do you mean throttle body cleaner? Make sure your air filter is clean, have fresh gas and you have run the car hard before the test is run (hit VTEC several times).

with engine cleaner i mean treatment in the fule tank

we always use FORTE this is realy good stuf.

yes aircleaner is new (original honda)
car has been driven very hard
we did not clean the trottle, maybe we can look at the valve, if he is very clean.

thanks

ronny

Where does the car redline at? Unplug the temp sensor, measure resistance and compare with the manual for ambient temp.

Does the NSX ECU shift the redline based upon engine/coolant temp?

Also to other posts above when its said "drive it hard" what I've recently come to understand is the car needs to be driven such that when your running the smog test you should hear the radiator fan trip on during the test. ei indicating the coolant is at temp and ECU is allowing the EGR to function. At this point the CATs will also be at temp. To do this you don't have to go flog the car just drive it.

Hi Ronny!

After such a long wait did you change the TB before smog? Maybe a tooth off.

Another hint: Did you have the cats off the car and looked at the structure inside?

Best regards,
Thomas

with engine cleaner i mean treatment in the fule tank

we always use FORTE this is realy good stuf.

yes aircleaner is new (original honda)
car has been driven very hard
we did not clean the trottle, maybe we can look at the valve, if he is very clean.

thanks

ronny
Hi,

I believe the garage where the car is at called us Wednesday.
We did a brief run trough of the symptoms including a strange misfire combined with high CO, rough idle and 02 sensors.
If they directly install the parts they ordered it should be fixed by Friday.

From what we discussed sounded like a ignition system problem.

That is if it's the same NSX we are talking about.
Quite a few NSX being driven again after a long standstill last week we head 4....

Last edited:
Does the NSX ECU shift the redline based upon engine/coolant temp?
When the ECU thinks the engine is cold it moves throttle cut to 7000 RPMs. My car had a bad temp sensor when I bought it...low redline keyed me in and I had a hunch it was the temp sensor. Some time later, I was taking a look at the previous owner's last smog report, and I noticed the car they tested was not an NSX (based on speed/RPM #s). I bet I know why he had to cheat to get it to pass! :biggrin:

make sure you change the thermostat , since it sat so long

I would absolutely change the tw , coolant sensor for the ecu
As they are troublesome on cars that due get driven

Back