• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hood pins... What are your thoughts?

Our hoods have a nice rake to them. What's their angle, maybe 20degrees or so? The combination of hood loads in the normal and lateral direction just due to the vehicle moving at 80MPH will be a lot. The differential pressure distributions are best determined by actually measuring them at various locations.

Bottom line is that you should have a good quality hood (Downforce), so do whatever you feel most comfortable doing :smile:

Dave

Last edited:
Dave/Mac Attack - LOL! I liked your number crunching post prior to the edit! And did I mention that I almost flunked physics in high school ..:eek::tongue:

I actually experimented with various sizes of blue masking tape, even 1/2" x 1" (the latter to cover the gap across) by placing them near the pop up headlight and the high point of the fender (where it was most noticeable). None of them separated/lifted and this without pressing hard on the tape for bonding.

As noted, my hood was ProCar; and I had seen this same hood lift about 1/2-3/4" on a track by a hot shoe racer; but he didn't have ducting from the radiator. YMMV.

I understand Dave that it is important to distribute the load evenly on all 3 latches. I am not expecting the mini latch to hold the hood while the stock latch has failed. It is more about taking the load off a single point and distributing it.

Dave/Mac Attack - LOL! I liked your number crunching post prior to the edit! And did I mention that I almost flunked physics in high school ..:eek::tongue:

I actually experimented with various sizes of blue masking tape, even 1/2" x 1" (the latter to cover the gap across) by placing them near the pop up headlight and the high point of the fender (where it was most noticeable). None of them separated/lifted and this without pressing hard on the tape for bonding.

As noted, my hood was ProCar; and I had seen this same hood lift about 1/2-3/4" on a track by a hot shoe racer; but he didn't have ducting from the radiator. YMMV.

Thanks, I reconsidered since I was sounding geeky enough with the other posts. :redface: Glad you didn't quote me before the edit!

Wow, that's pretty extreme flexing by, IMO, the highest quality aftermarket hood available. I've always been interested by your past threads on the vented hoods (the flexing, and the extra heat through the HVAC).... Things no one else had previously mentioned or noticed. Very good observations!

Dave

I understand Dave that it is important to distribute the load evenly on all 3 latches. I am not expecting the mini latch to hold the hood while the stock latch has failed. It is more about taking the load off a single point and distributing it.

Good. You'll have to play around a bit to adjust all three so they provide roughly the same tension when the hood is closed but it can be done, and will certainly add some margin of safety!

Dave

BTW Dave, talking about Hvac, one other side effect of a vented hood is that tons of heat flows out of the vent. On a targa car with the top off, you can really feel it. When you are at a light and the radiator fan kicks on, a wave of hot air exits the hood vent, over the windshield and into the car. No big deal, but an inconvenience. One thing is for sure. A lot of air moves through that vent.

BTW Dave, talking about Hvac, one other side effect of a vented hood is that tons of heat flows out of the vent. On a targa car with the top off, you can really feel it. When you are at a light and the radiator fan kicks on, a wave of hot air exits the hood vent, over the windshield and into the car. No big deal, but an inconvenience. One thing is for sure. A lot of air moves through that vent.

Yeah it's amazing how much air goes through there, especially if you have all of the undertray stuff. I was at an autocross one day and put some wet gloves in the vent to dry off, made a short 5-10mph drive through the lot and there was enough air going through the vent to shoot the gloves out.

Yeah, and I removed my A/C too. It worked fine before I removed it. I live in SC. Still contemplating undoing that "mod." :biggrin:

x2. Somehow, losing the 20lbs is a distant concern in 115 degree heat. :(

Hood pins are gross 99% of the time. But yes, I've seen a car with a CF hood that folded back on itself (cheap one).

I installed hood pins.

Originally I bought aerocatch but didn't think there was enough room to accommodate. http://www.aerocatch.com/

I went and got a cheep set of hood pins.
Over time they rusted.

I recently replaced them with Aluminum pins... Much better.

If someone wan't to buy my aerocatch let me know. I need to sell the and get them off my workbench. :)

I was advised by Chris from SOS to install hood pins on my car with a VIS hood.

Later,
Don

I have heard of composite hoods blowing off in the early days, the most common problem is the hardware failure in the front latch area. Few occasions I have heard of a few hoods delaminating. The biggest culprit is high speed oscillation (rattling). Metal is ductile and it's these type of forces that would either weaken and tear the threads or loosen the bolts. As long as there is no play on the latch bolts itself, it is good. The factory hood has seals on the headlight area that helps keep the hood firmly planted. They are not cheap.
74148-SL0-010 and 74198-SL0-010. $90.00 for both pieces. They come with double sided tape and tapping into your hood is optional.

peter I was so hoping you would chime in here. So are you saying getting pins for my DF Gen II is not really necessary? do you think I am getting this slight flutter because of the headlight gaskets? I thought they were $90 each. Can I remove and install the OEM on your hood?

last, can you let everyone know your thoughts on drilling CF for these things?

Back