• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Horrible Acura Customer Service Experience

So I bought a 96 NSX about a year ago. Immediately prior to my purchase the previous owner did about $6k worth of work on the car at an Acura dealership in California, of which I received all the paperwork. Upon taking the car out of storage this Spring, the check engine lit kicked on, so I took it into my Acura dealer here in Ohio. They said they found leaking over and the CV joints were leaking. The prior owner literally replaced all the hoses in the engine, valve cover gasket, CV boots, WP/TB, etc, so everything was brand new. The car at that time had been driven approximately 500 miles since the work had been completed. My Acura dealer and then subsequently, Acura Corporate, denied coverage under the 12 month/12k mile warranty that comes with all work performed at a dealership as the car was purchased from a private party through a broker, not from the private party directly. Maybe it was my fault i didn't realize this particular condition of Acura's 12month/12k mile dealership service warranty, but they sort of got off a technicality by me not buying from the guy directly. The dealership in California (Acura of Fremont) also would not take any responsibility for either the crappy work they did or the fabricated invoices they provided as I find it highly unlikely CV boots and valve cover gaskets start leaking within 500 miles of being replaced.

I also found it interesting how Acura Corporate would not provide any monetary assistance towards getting these issues fixed for the second time in less than 500 miles and in less than 12 months.

Just thought I'd share and make others aware how Acura corporate handles its warranties on dealer service when cars are exchanging hands.

So you bought a used car, drove it less than 500 miles in a year, and let it sit for a while. I don't think any dealer would goodwill the work when you're not the original owner who paid for the work to begin with.

Sorry, I don't have much more to contribute.

Soooo why did the check engine light come on. There are no "oil leak sensors" or "ripped cv boot sensors"
agreed...
take a look at your CV boots or take a picture. Determine if they are in fact leaking. They may have not been replaced properly. Take it to another Acura Dealership for a second opinion. There may be grease and oil left from the original leaks left on the Engine, drive shafts.
and
You still have no answer as to why the CEL is on.

Have Autozone run the CEL code; I highly doubt it's the CV Boots. 02 sensor, gas cap or cat;
and as others have stated, take it to another acura dealer

Back