• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hot air from drivers floor vent?

This happens to me when I drive with the heating/AC system powered off. Air will still flow into the car from the vent. If your temperature control is set to warm/hot then the incoming air will be warm/hot. Try turning the temperature control all the way counter-clockwise and you should then get plain outside air flowing in. If it's cold outside then you should get cold air.

------------------

Better yet, close the vents by selecting the recirculate air flow.

If the problem is that hot air comes from the driver's side vents and NOT from the passenger's (from his side cold air works perfectly), then your problem should be the evaporator that leaks. It costs a lot and is difficult to exchange, so I do a simple thing every six months, in order to solve this problem: I fuly charge the A/C system. When it's full, it works perfectly. After some months, even if you don't use it, the problems come again. This until you don't change the evaporator. Very strange, indeed, that the central vents, which are very near (less than 1 cm?), present the same problem: cold on the right and warm on the left ! If anyone knows how to fix it in an economical way please tell us !!

Originally posted by Mantra:
If the problem is that hot air comes from the driver's side vents and NOT from the passenger's (from his side cold air works perfectly), then your problem should be the evaporator that leaks. It costs a lot and is difficult to exchange, so I do a simple thing every six months, in order to solve this problem: I fuly charge the A/C system. When it's full, it works perfectly. After some months, even if you don't use it, the problems come again. This until you don't change the evaporator. Very strange, indeed, that the central vents, which are very near (less than 1 cm?), present the same problem: cold on the right and warm on the left ! If anyone knows how to fix it in an economical way please tell us !!

That sounds like the prob.! Hot air, I'm pretty sure only from the drivers side, knob on cold, and on rec. still had hot air.

I had the same symptoms and I replaced my evaporator myself. The evaporator was quoted at about $700, but I purchased it from Dave at Asian Auto for around $450 with misc parts. It's labor intensive (not the evaporator placement, but the entire dash and fan assembly removal; Next time I'm taking it in). An economical way if anyone is content with just stopping the "hot-air" from entering the cabin (that should work) is to disconnect the heater cable that controls the valve within the coolant hose that runs into the heater. Afterwards slide the valve to close off the entering hot coolant. During the winter months, you can reconnect the cable. It's located immidiately below the wipers once the hood is opened and takes less than 5 minutes. Good Luck.

The problem is caused by being low on freon. It isn't specifically an evaporator leak issue, though evap leaks are not uncommon.

The best thing is always to have them run dye through it to find the leak. Then you can figure out how much it will be to fix. If it's say an o-ring it will be cheap. An evap is expensive. There is no cheap solution to a leaking evaporator.

Hot air on your leg? AHHH! Your car is turning into a Corvette!!!
biggrin.gif

Those of you who have driven one of the older gens know what I mean.

Back